• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • pjcalla

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    19   0   0
    Jan 29, 2009
    Hamilton County
    I am a complete newbie when it comes to the AR platform. I recently built my first lower at the build party a few months ago (thank you, :ingo:).
    I am now looking for magazines and have acquired some pmags. This may be a dumb question, but what are the differences in the follower color? I have seen green, black, orange, etc. and wonder what the difference is. Is one color better than the others? Why make different colors? Are they different plastic compositions? Do the different manufacturers have their own color?

I really have no idea. I tried to search on here, but didn't find anything. If this has been discussed before, I apologize. If you could point me in the right direction, that would be much appreciated. Just looking for some information.

shooter521

Certified Glock Nut
    Rating - 100%
    17   0   0
    May 13, 2008
    Indianapolis, IN US
    I am now looking for magazines and have acquired some pmags. This may be a dumb question, but what are the differences in the follower color? I have seen green, black, orange, etc.

I'm confused. Are you saying you've seen colored followers in PMAGs? They should be the same color as the mag body (black, FDE or Ranger Green).

In USGI-type aluminum mags, there are a number of different colored followers available from a number of sources. The three most common ones you'll see these days are:

1) light/mint green - USGI standard anti-tilt
    2) Magpul anti-tilt (these may be encountered in a number of color variations, depending on generation and when they were made)
    3) CProducts anti-tilt (shameless ripoff of the Magpul design) in gray or blaze orange

pjcalla

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    19   0   0
    Jan 29, 2009
    Hamilton County
    I'm confused. Are you saying you've seen colored followers in PMAGs? They should be the same color as the mag body (black, FDE or Ranger Green).

In USGI-type aluminum mags, there are a number of different colored followers available from a number of sources. The three most common ones you'll see these days are:

1) light/mint green - USGI standard anti-tilt
    2) Magpul anti-tilt (these may be encountered in a number of color variations, depending on generation and when they were made)
    3) CProducts anti-tilt (shameless ripoff of the Magpul design) in gray or blaze orange

No, I wasn't talking about the PMAGs, but the USGI aluminum. So, what you're saying is that the light/mint green and the Magpul anti-tilt is what I should be aiming for?

Thanks.

shooter521

Certified Glock Nut
    Rating - 100%
    17   0   0
    May 13, 2008
    Indianapolis, IN US
    So, what you're saying is that the light/mint green and the Magpul anti-tilt is what I should be aiming for?

IMO, the Magpul followers are the Gold Standard. The USGI green ones are old technology (better than what they replaced, but nowhere near as good as the Magpul), and the CProducts are just a shameless ripoff of the Magpul product.

The Magpul followers have gone through several generational changes and have been produced in many colors over the years; I have yet to hear of problems with any of them.

Raoc

Marksman
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Feb 6, 2009
    The color coding is not significant as much as the design. Both the Magpul and C-product followers, in any color, function wonderfully. The older light green (and some even older black ones) have reliability issues. I frequently buy USGI mags cheap and change out the followers with either of the above anti-tilt type. As far as I know, there is no color code.

m4_dave

Plinker
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Apr 23, 2009
    North Central IN
    I use them all even the old GI mags.Ones made before 1994 were black before the anti tilt was made and now anti tilt followers is standard GI issue in all M16 mags.I have only seen those in a light green.It looks like most know magpul makes the best followers.Just look for the magpul symbol on top of the follower.C product mags work Ok I wouldn't recommend their SS HK knock off mag.That's the only mag that I have owned that gave me a problem.

mvician

Master
    Rating - 100%
    9   0   0
    May 19, 2008
    NW Indiana
    Foliage green/Ranger green and safety yellow are the current Magpul follower colors.
    Grey and safety orange were Gen 2 colors.
    Coyote Brown was the Gen 1 color.

Magpul Enhanced Follower

2j5o28i.jpg

shooter521

Certified Glock Nut
    Rating - 100%
    17   0   0
    May 13, 2008
    Indianapolis, IN US
    mvician: IIRC, Gen 1 Magpul followers - or maybe it was a pre-Gen 1 prototype batch? - were also available in hot pink. :)

My USGI mags have a mix of Gen 1 CB and Gen 2 orange, and they all work just fine.

Top Bottom