• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • GaDawg

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Apr 23, 2012
    Muncie
    So I'm researching an affordable AR build. I want to build not buy a package. Note I said affordable not cheap. I want a rifle that is reliable but I have not interest in brand. I have been looking into the polymer lowers. New Frontier makes from what I can see in reviews and looking through the specs the best option in that arena. I have found a few aluminum lowers both complete and striped pretty cheap but the polymer really is appealing. Weight, price, and from what I have read it seems to hold up the same as their more main stream counter parts. So all u AR guys what say you

SmileDocHill

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    61   0   0
    Mar 26, 2009
    Westfield
    :popcorn:

I'm with you. I'd love to hear a sound off on the actual range of use or limitations for the polymer lowers. I've changed out parts for my ONE AR that I now have almost a second AR minus the lower. Basically if I buy a lower I have a second AR in parts.

atalon

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Sep 6, 2012
    Indy
    I have an AR lower in polymer from New Frontier. Don't have an upper for it yet, thinking 300 BLK. I can tell you out of the box I got it with the polymer parts installed and I already plan on replacing the trigger group. It feels like I could only describe as "crunchy". The hammer and trigger both are polymer.

The other thing that I will replace is the front pivot/takedown pin, it is too short in my opinion and is actually recessed in the hole by just a hair. I like them to protrude just a bit to make it easier to push on by hand. the rear takedown pin is just fine.

I did put my PSA 5.56 upper on it and the fit was very tight with no wobble what so ever. This may loosen over time but like I said not really using it yet.

The rest of the parts seem to function properly including no roughness in the magwell or use of the magazine catch. Also don't have a buffer tube on it so I can't speak to the quality of the threads.

Overall it looks like it will get the job done but spending some time shooting it will obviously be needed to know for sure.

95wrangler

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Sep 10, 2011
    New Pal
    I also have a New Frontier lower but no upper for it yet. Im still collecting parts. I will also replace the takedown pins but the trigger feels ok to me. All I can say is do a search on Youtube for New Frontier and watch the video reviews. Thats why I bought one. One thing I dont like is the trigger guard and grip are molded in, I didnt notice that till after I bought it. Oh well.

kbailey

Marksman
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jul 8, 2012
    Lafayette
    I'm pretty leery of the polymer lowers. I know some guys over on arfcom run them but I would be concerned about the potential safety issues. As far as cost goes, aluminum lowers can be found for under $100, especially with the cosmetic blem lowers that are floating around on the market. Then get a basic parts kit, buy a trigger from alg defense (Affordable and not cheap, tuned by Geissele from the factory), buy one of the $79 stripped (but complete, just put it together) upper receivers from Bravo Company, bcg from Bravo Company, barrel of your choice (I suggest Bravo Company again). Your choice on the hand guard, butt stock and mags.

SmileDocHill

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    61   0   0
    Mar 26, 2009
    Westfield
    I'm pretty leery of the polymer lowers. I know some guys over on arfcom run them but I would be concerned about the potential safety issues. As far as cost goes, aluminum lowers can be found for under $100, especially with the cosmetic blem lowers that are floating around on the market. Then get a basic parts kit, buy a trigger from alg defense (Affordable and not cheap, tuned by Geissele from the factory), buy one of the $79 stripped (but complete, just put it together) upper receivers from Bravo Company, bcg from Bravo Company, barrel of your choice (I suggest Bravo Company again). Your choice on the hand guard, butt stock and mags.

I agree with this logic 100%.
    My logic is like this though.
    For $40 I can get a polymer lower and affectively have an entire second rifle. I don't anticipate it will survive a military deployment but surely there are uses for some people where it is more than adequate. Personally I'm thinking of all the times I use the .22 conversion kit in my AR or simply for the concept of being able to have an entire second rifle made out of the parts I've swapped out on my one primary AR. For my uses it would have to very well into the junk category to not serve the role I see it serving.

mikefraz

Master
    Rating - 100%
    53   0   0
    Mar 23, 2011
    Lakeville
    I also have a New Frontier lower but no upper for it yet. Im still collecting parts. I will also replace the takedown pins but the trigger feels ok to me. All I can say is do a search on Youtube for New Frontier and watch the video reviews. Thats why I bought one. One thing I dont like is the trigger guard and grip are molded in, I didnt notice that till after I bought it. Oh well.

The grip isn't molded in. It's the standard A2 grip and can be replaced with any grip that fits on any other AR.

Top Bottom