• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • dirt43

Shooter
    Rating - 87.5%
    7   1   0
    Jan 7, 2011
    Greenwood
    I am new to the ar platform and just did my first build. I have magpul mbus sights right now but want something that feels more sturdy. I am looking for a steel constructed flip sight that locks in the up position. I am not wanting to pay over $200. I know about Troy and Diamondhead, but didnt know if there are other sights out there that are quality and affordable.

dirt43

Shooter
    Rating - 87.5%
    7   1   0
    Jan 7, 2011
    Greenwood
    Sorry guys for all the trouble, but would it be better just to do fixed iron sights until I can save up for an optic? I am wanting to get the Vortex Sparc. So I was contemplating going the fixed sight route until I have the money for the optic and then just putting the Magpul flip sights on the gun and save for a nice set of metal flip sights.

M67

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    23   0   0
    Jan 15, 2011
    Southernish Indiana
    Keep the MBUS and save for the SPARC, forget the fixed route IMO, it's just seems like it would be wasting money.

As for not wanting to spend $200 in a good set of folding metal BUIS, the MBUS Pro..and that's about it it seems.

Troy, GG&G, KAC, etc, they're all going to be $200+.

Run the MBUS and save for the SPARC, and if you still want to "upgrade" the sights after the optic go ahead.

MBUS are solid though

http://kitup.military.com/2012/07/back-up-iron-sight-drop-test.html

dirt43

Shooter
    Rating - 87.5%
    7   1   0
    Jan 7, 2011
    Greenwood
    Vortex also carries a different style red dot, the strikefire. I found one on amazon for around 130 with the red/green reticle. Is a red dot scope ideal for home defense or would you guys still suggest the sparc?

ckcollins2003

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Apr 29, 2011
    Muncie
    Vortex also carries a different style red dot, the strikefire. I found one on amazon for around 130 with the red/green reticle. Is a red dot scope ideal for home defense or would you guys still suggest the sparc?

The SPARC is a red dot as well, just a smaller tube. But yes, red dot's are definitely ideal for home defense.

Now if you are wanting something you can leave on and not worry about the battery dying, you should look into an Aimpoint. Neither of the Vortex red dot's have the battery life to leave on all of the time, but if your rifle is primarily used as a range rifle, the SPARC and Strikefire will work just fine. I have nothing bad to say about my SPARC.

tradertator

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    128   0   0
    Jul 1, 2008
    Greene County
    A red dot would be an ideal optic for a home defense rifle, and the Vortex line is a good value. I prefer the Sparc over the Strikefire, mostly because its less weight on the rifle.

As far as iron sights go, I prefer fixed or folding if you plan to not use a red dot. If you like the idea of fixed sights and get a red dot down the road, mount it in a lower 1/3 mount. The dot will appear over the top of the sights, but will also cowitness through them.

operatorj

Plinker
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Jan 3, 2014
    Heltonville
    My buddy just got a set of the MBUS PRO sight and they are nice. They remind me alittle of my KAC sights. The new Troy Aluminum sights would be a good option once they come out.

grunt soldier

Master
    Rating - 100%
    71   0   0
    May 20, 2009
    hamilton county
    The 2 best fixed iron set ups are LMT and Daniel defense. No questions asked. The best bang for your buck is the mbus pro's IMO. Dsg had a sale on them a few weeks back for like $130 dollars. Psa just had them and a brick of 500 22lr for $165 shipped to your door. Look around and don't rush into buying anything to quick.

Faine

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Feb 2, 2012
    Indy (South Side)
    Stick with the Magpuls IMHO, the pros are pretty but I had trouble flipping them up, the we're slick to me and hard to peel off the flat top receiver. Save the money you'd spend on new buis and get a nicer optic or ammo.

Little late to the game, did you spend your money yet?

Spelling errors coursetsy of my phone.

Top Bottom