• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • 2ADMNLOVER

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    15   0   0
    May 13, 2009
    West side Indy
    I assume that just like in construction , doing it yourself is a cheaper way to go .

I haven't checked around much yet but I'm seeing prices like a complete lower for $200 and change , $200 + barrels and so on .

I'm thinking that I'll wind up spending $5-600 by the time I get all the parts .

So I'm wondering if it's worth the trouble of doing it myself to end up with a frankengun that might work or just saving my money and buying a complete rifle .

Any ideas , experience or thoughts ?

shooter521

Certified Glock Nut
    Rating - 100%
    17   0   0
    May 13, 2008
    Indianapolis, IN US
    I assume that just like in construction , doing it yourself is a cheaper way to go.

Not necessarily. If you use top-shelf parts, you will likely equal or exceed the cost of a competently assembled off-the-shelf gun. There are still advantages to DIY, however:

1) spread cost out over time
    2) only pay for the parts you will be using
    3) get exactly the configuration/specs you want
    4) ensure your own QC
    5) learning experience

I'm thinking that I'll wind up spending $5-600 by the time I get all the parts .

I'm thinking that's awfully cheap for an AR. There is an element of "you get what you pay for" in this game. Just sayin'. Also keep in mind that if you're talking about truly assembling the gun (including barreling the upper) rather than just slapping together a pre-assembled upper and lower, that you'll need to buy some tools in addition to parts.

So I'm wondering if it's worth the trouble of doing it myself to end up with a frankengun that might work or just saving my money and buying a complete rifle.

If you're just starting out (i.e. have never owned an AR before) and are just looking for a relatively simple/inexpensive gun for occasional recreational shooting, you might as well buy off the rack. At least then, you'll have some recourse (i.e. the shop you bought it from, and/or the manufacturer) in the event of a problem.

You can save the build idea for your next AR. ;)

STAG556

Marksman
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Sep 24, 2009
    Indy
    I've recently been looking into doing my own AR build as well. After a while I gathered that mine would likely end up costing twice and maybe three times more than if I were to just buy a new bushmaster or Stag. Of course if I were doing a build, I would put only high quality aftermarket parts on it (Knights, LaRue etc). Point being, I think an AR build is likely more for satisfaction of doing it yourself and ultimate customization than the ultimate way to save money on an AR. If you want a cheap AR, Budsgunshop.com has doublestar AR's for $650.

r3126

Sharpshooter
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    19   0   0
    Dec 3, 2008
    Indy westside
    Budsgunshop.com has doublestar AR's for $650.

With tax, that's $695 (and change).

Not to belabor the issue, but I went on a quest a month or so ago to see how INEXPENSIVELY, not cheaply, I could put an AR together. It took a lot of searching and exchanging emails but, I put together an AR for way less than $695. No, it wasn't Knight's, Spikes, or some other highly visable names but it was all new parts, went together without a burp and looked as good as anything I have seen off the shelf. How did it shoot? Don't know - had an opportunity to trade it before I shot it but have had NO adverse feedback from the other party. He is as happy as a pig in poo with it.

No, I don't intend doing it again - this was a "one off." But, I was amazed at the profit margin that a less than honest person could enjoy.

samot

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Dec 9, 2009
    Your mamas house
    I would save yourself the time & stay away from the AR, erector set "build" process. Unless you are just wanting the learning experience.. I dont really consider snapping a bunch of pre made cnc parts together a "build":twocents: Now, breaking out a mig welder, & building a gun from a stamped reciever is a little more mechanically testing.
    If you shop around you can find a Colt 6920 for around $1200, you cant find a much better AR than the 6920:twocents:
    Good luck in what ever you decide

2ADMNLOVER

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    15   0   0
    May 13, 2009
    West side Indy
    Ok , these ^^^ kinda confirm what I was thinking . Thanks for the info .

I guess I'll just keep modding my AK since I don't plan on ever needing to take a 600 yard shot .

r3126

Sharpshooter
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    19   0   0
    Dec 3, 2008
    Indy westside
    Now, breaking out a mig welder

Not sure I understand what you mean. Where and what are your weld spots? Are you going to weld out a stock? Are you going to weld a bolt and bolt carrier? If you intend to "build" an AR from a stamped receiver, you are going to need more equipment than anything other than a full blown machine shop has to offer.

I "think" the OP was looking for ideas that someone with ordinary skills and tools might be able to do. I might be wrong, however.

My .02.

samot

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Dec 9, 2009
    Your mamas house
    Not sure I understand what you mean. Where and what are your weld spots? Are you going to weld out a stock? Are you going to weld a bolt and bolt carrier? If you intend to "build" an AR from a stamped receiver, you are going to need more equipment than anything other than a full blown machine shop has to offer.

I "think" the OP was looking for ideas that someone with ordinary skills and tools might be able to do. I might be wrong, however.

My .02.

I just meant that "building"\ assymbeling, an AR is not as challenging as building a AK or HK gun from a flat. the welds i were reffering to would be on the reciever, trunnion,& cocking tube support of an HK.
    You dont need a machine shop to build an AR, its like a bunch of Legos, just put it together!!!
    also, i would like to see a" stamped" AR reciever ? Im not sure there is such a thing ?

r3126

Sharpshooter
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    19   0   0
    Dec 3, 2008
    Indy westside
    I would save yourself the time & stay away from the AR, erector set "build" process. Unless you are just wanting the learning experience.. I dont really consider snapping a bunch of pre made cnc parts together a "build":twocents: Now, breaking out a mig welder, & building a gun from a stamped reciever is a little more mechanically testing.
    If you shop around you can find a Colt 6920 for around $1200, you cant find a much better AR than the 6920:twocents:
    quote]

I guess I missed your reference to anything but an AR in your post.

Last edited:

Fenway

no longer pays the bills
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 11, 2008
    behind you
    shooter makes a great post as usual. Be sure to check out the AR day coming up at MCFG. You want to see ARs and get some advice this would be the place! :ingo:

Hondo

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Dec 7, 2009
    Fort Wayne
    I am doing my first AR build right now.....204 Ruger....I know I could by an off the shelf gun a little cheaper and I am not tricking this out..but I get the caliber I want and it is a project with my son (also a member here) and I...I got top shelf parts and a bull barrel ( I have some tacks to drive) and everything is not available like I want it off the shelf....FWIW...:)

figley

Expert
    Rating - 94.7%
    18   1   0
    Jun 18, 2009
    SW Indy
    Assembling your own, especially your first, is definitely about the experience. Personally, I enjoy knowing what every part is, where it goes, and what its function is. Arfcom has enough tutorials to help the total novice, and if the written instructions and helpful tips aren't doing it, there are more than enough good people to help you straighten it out.

Go to the AR DAY at MCF&G, and you'll find plenty of help, up to and including people who will volunteer to come over to your house and darn near hold your hand throughout the whole process.

BTW - when is the AR DAY scheduled?

Last edited:

kycrawler

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Dec 8, 2009
    Crawfordsville
    My opinon is to build it . Put it together and shoot it for a while if you dont like it you can easily recoup your money on a budget build like your describing

kycrawler

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Dec 8, 2009
    Crawfordsville
    also if you have a stripped lower you can buy a kit from model 1 sales or delton and just assemble the lower and snap on the upper doesnt get much easier to build a budget ar

42769vette

Grandmaster
    Industry Partner
    Rating - 100%
    52   0   0
    Oct 6, 2008
    south of richmond in
    i just finished ordering all the parts for one. its the cheapest one i could build with parts i felt comfortable with. i could have probably saved another 50 bucks (if that) if i had gone with the cheepest parts avaible, but it had been my experiance its just not worth the extra time and worry.

i ended up with 675 for gun and 2 mags.

ive never bought one. ive only had 5 or 6 over the years but i enjoy building one and i think its nice to know a little more about your gun for trouble shooting. but my big thing is i want my gun a certain way. ive had them with heavy barrels and set up for heavy bullets for my long range ar, but my favorite ones are short barrel truck/tractor guns. they aren't the prettiest ars out there but they get alot of use and if i need to take them somwhere they might get dirty or scratched thats fine. if it doesn't clean off it will add carecter (spelling:dunno:)

Last edited:

r6vr6

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    10   0   0
    Jan 28, 2009
    Granger
    I think getting a barreled upper and building your own lower is probably a good halfway point in the build your own \ buy one debate. You don't need any special tools to build a lower so you don't have to spend any money on a barrel wrench \ vise block etc. There is a good variety of uppers out there and you can select your stock etc for the lower so you won't end up with take off parts. BCM (bravo company) and PK firearms have a good assortment of uppers. Bravo gives you a more ala carte type upper whereas the PK ones are pretty much turn key.

Top Bottom