• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • bigretic

Master
    Rating - 100%
    72   0   0
    Jan 14, 2011
    NWI
    Have a bcg that will not function. Picks up a round, seems to short chamber it - will not fire. Pull CH back and it will not eject. Have to pop the round out of the bolt with a screwdriver. Is this an extractor/spring problem causing both issues?
    Confirmed it is the bcg that is the problem - swapped on to known working rifle with same results and put good bcg in "non-functioning" rifle and it worked just fine.
    TIA for suggestions/advise.

rosejm

Master
    Rating - 100%
    11   0   0
    Nov 28, 2013
    NWI
    Possibly an ejector / spring problem.

Pictures of the components & the problem are always useful for diagnosis over the internet.

bigretic

Master
    Rating - 100%
    72   0   0
    Jan 14, 2011
    NWI
    Nope. Never had this issue and it was a unused part so figured I’d pose the question before I started tearing things apart.

jwamplerusa

High drag, low speed...
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Feb 21, 2018
    Boone County
    Tear it apart. Inspect, closely with a strong light and magnifier, and compare marks to the removed rounds.

Lube and reassemble. Test

DadSmith

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Oct 21, 2018
    Ripley County
    Have a bcg that will not function. Picks up a round, seems to short chamber it - will not fire. Pull CH back and it will not eject. Have to pop the round out of the bolt with a screwdriver. Is this an extractor/spring problem causing both issues?
    Confirmed it is the bcg that is the problem - swapped on to known working rifle with same results and put good bcg in "non-functioning" rifle and it worked just fine.
    TIA for suggestions/advise.
    What brand is the bcg, and have you contacted the company about it?
    Is it a new bcg, slightly used, or has 5k + rds on it?

d.kaufman

Still Here
    Staff member
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    130   0   0
    Mar 9, 2013
    Hobart
    I had a new build not wanna cycle this weekend at the meet n shoot as well. Won't eject the round and doesn't try and feed another. Chambered round fires fine. 1st build out of probably 20 I've ever had an issue with.

Tried the bcg out of my daughters ar which ran just fine for over 400 rounds. Same thing. Guessing at this point I'm under gassed which kind of shocks me as it is a brand new BA midlength pencil barrel that had the gas block pinned to barrel, so don't believe its an alignment issue. I'm gonna try a different buffer weight before I go looking at the gas system just because it's easier.

Purdue1991

Marksman
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Aug 19, 2022
    Check your BCG carrier key to make sure the entrance isn't bent or crimped. Had an issue with a BCG on a 6.5 Grendel where the key entrance was nicked/bent and it wouldn't extract and/or cycle properly.

Knights1776

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    May 27, 2024
    Idaho
    Also curious on the brand. Did you buy it from a retailer or second hand?

If second hand, I would proceed to inspect/work on it myself. If from a reputable manufacturer, contact them.

bigretic

Master
    Rating - 100%
    72   0   0
    Jan 14, 2011
    NWI
    @bigretic have any updates?
    Ok, this got back burnered, but I finally looked at it last night and the extractor just doesn't move, like AT ALL, I took it apart and it has both a rubber o-ring around the extractor spring, and a rubber insert inside the spring preventing any sort of motion of the extractor arm. I read that some bolts come with these, but in this case they appear to be impleading proper operation. Should I try it without one or the other or both?

BR8818

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    15   0   0
    Nov 20, 2018
    Anderson
    They should both be there. Did you try putting everything back and see how it functions now? There might have been some obstruction that you cleared while disassembling the extractor. If you reassemble and there is still a problem, I would get a new extractor and Sprinco extractor spring kit.

bigretic

Master
    Rating - 100%
    72   0   0
    Jan 14, 2011
    NWI
    The extractor moves acceptably only with both of them removed. I will pull another bolt to compare later, but maybe the insert is off or oversized.

Top Bottom