• View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • flyboy84

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Sep 3, 2012
    I have a AR and was looking at changing it to shoot .22lr ( I know .22 is hard to find atm) Only question is do I go with a dedicated upper or just get a conversion kit. will just be for practice at less the 100 yards.

Tim-g19

Shooter
    Rating - 100%
    8   0   0
    Mar 21, 2008
    Charlestown
    Chrome CMMG Evolution 22LR conversion, CMMG grey mags have been great for me.
    One failed ejection when I used the mag as a monopod. Other than that no malfunctions in about 1100 rounds.
    DPMS M4 16" profile 1/9 barrel, Eotech 553. Shoots accurate out past 75 yards. Sighted for 5.56 XM193
    DPMS lightweight, 16" 1/9 barrel, Sightmark Aimpoint knock off, accurate as above. Sighted for 5.56 XM193

Its on my short list to obtain another.

TheUziButton

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    41   0   0
    Mar 28, 2011
    Either one would be a good choice. The conversion kit will be cheaper and more convenient, however, the dedicated upper will be more accurate due to the fact that the twist rate of a 5.56 barrel (typically 1/9 or 1/7) is faster than the optimal twist rate to stabilize .22lr (typically 1/16). Furthermore, there is a slight bore diameter difference between 5.56 and .22lr. Another point of consideration with the 22lr conversion kit is that there is a high probability of a deviation in point of impact when shooting .22lr with optics or irons sighted in for 5.56. This is not a factor when using a dedicated 22lr upper because optics and/or irons can be sighted in specifically for 22lr and kept indefinitely.
    AR22Sup_01.jpg

INGONFA2013_17.jpg

AR2201.jpg

[video=youtube;_cQ877wzUhM]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_cQ877wzUhM[/video]

avboiler11

Master
    Rating - 100%
    13   0   0
    Jun 12, 2011
    New Albany
    Previously had a CMMG Bravo, now have a dedicated upper built with a CMMG 16" barrel.

Accuracy of the conversion kit was awful in my 18" 1:8 BHW barrel, using CCI SV, Mini-Mag and AR Tactical. In a 20+ year old 16" 1:9 HBAR A1, accuracy is minute o' soda can at 100 yards with CCI SV and AR Tactical off a rest, with no issues hitting an 8" round plate offhand at 100 yards.

I haven't really tested accuracy with the CMMG 22LR barrel frankenupper.

I wouldn't run a ARC through a precision AR or a dedicated 'working' AR, and would be dubious of it through a 1:7 barrel...but if you've got a 1:9 barrel on a range toy or general purpose rifle, rock on with it. You can always buy it, shoot it a few hundred times, and if you decide you want a dedicated upper you can sell the conversion bolt for 10-15% less than you originally paid for it or or use the conversion bolt with a 22LR barrel/collar and build your own dedicated upper.

rockhopper46038

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    89   0   0
    May 4, 2010
    Fishers
    I had a Spikes conversion bolt that was "Appleseed accurate" at 25 yards (everything I wanted to put into a 1" group, I could, using Federal Bulk) but I chose to buy a CMMG dedicated upper and it is more accurate, especially at 50 and 100 yards.

The conversion bolt would have an occassional jam, but was pretty reliable. The dedicated upper has been without fault.

flyboy84

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Sep 3, 2012
    I have looked at the cmmg uppers and liked them. I own a stag arms AR and looked at their conversions also. But from your input I will probably save some more and go with the dedicated upper. Gives me more excuses to buy goodies.

bwframe

Loneranger
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    95   0   0
    Feb 11, 2008
    Btown Rural
    I have a Spikes dedicated upper that I'm fairly happy with.
    I wonder if a conversion kit, magazine and 100 .22LR rounds would be worthwhile to have in the AR BOB? Is a there a difference between brands? New or used? Best ammo to use?

BE Mike

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    18   0   0
    Jul 23, 2008
    New Albany
    I bought a DPMS dedicated upper and couldn't be happier. I got one from Midway using my birthday discount. I had been on their waiting list for quite some time. I decided to go with the DPMS upper, rather than a conversion, because of the accuracy issue of shooting .22 LR in a fast twist barrel. I decided to go with the upper, rather than a dedicated AR, like the S&W M&P 15-22, because my lower has a nice trigger and the complete rifle was just as costly or more so. I can switch between uppers in a matter of seconds and my DPMS upper is very reliable (even with standard velocity ammo) and accurate. The DPMS upper takes Black Dog magazines and they have a very good rep (deserved in my opinion). I just noticed that they are available at Midway again. Here is the link: http://www.midwayusa.com/find?userSearchQuery=DPMS+.22+upper

flyboy84

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Sep 3, 2012
    I did not like the m&p 15-22. And it's nice having a familiar trigger in a lower. I will keep doing some digging on prices and quality. Seems most have had luck with a variety of brands. Are there any to just avoid all together? I tend to shoot whatever ammo I can find through my. 22's preferably I would like to find a upper that eats any ammo.

BE Mike

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    18   0   0
    Jul 23, 2008
    New Albany
    I did not like the m&p 15-22. And it's nice having a familiar trigger in a lower. I will keep doing some digging on prices and quality. Seems most have had luck with a variety of brands. Are there any to just avoid all together? I tend to shoot whatever ammo I can find through my. 22's preferably I would like to find a upper that eats any ammo.
    I haven't heard anything bad about any of the .22 uppers, except for Chiappa.

DEC

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Jul 25, 2008
    Angola
    Another vote for the CMMG dedicated upper. I bought one last fall and I love the thing. I had to clean up the feed ramp with a stone on my dremil (took all of 5 minutes) and since then it has run 100% flawless no matter what .22lr ammo I have fed it.

It is actually my favorite AR upper right now. Just fun to shoot. My kids love to shoot it as well.

tonybia

Marksman
    Rating - 88.9%
    7   1   1
    Apr 24, 2013
    My vote is dedicated upper due to the sighting variances and other idiosyncrasies that crop up swapping parts out.

JollyMon

Shooter
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Sep 27, 2012
    Westfield, IN
    I went with a dedicated 22 upper. The main reasons for me was accuracy. I was wanting a pistol upper (for a 22 pistol and an extra upper for my SBR). If I went with a conversion and had been using a 556 pistol barrel, I felt the accuracy would have been much worse than using a conversion kit in a 16" or 18" barrel. I have no evidence to back that statement up, its just how I rationalized spending the money.

I also have the CMMG Evolution kit and have had nothing but good luck with it. I got that for the reason that I can only shoot pistol calibers at Eagle creek and I wanted to at least shoot my other AR's (besides my MP 15/22) at the range. For just plinking around at ranges usually less that 25 yards, its been accurate enough for me.

Top Bottom