• ...and so much more!
  • SnoopLoggyDog

I'm a Citizen, not a subject
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    66   0   0
    Feb 16, 2009
    Warsaw
    Regarding what to stay away from; Hesse, Vulcan & Blackthorn are all the same company and have a craptastic reputation. The Superior Arms lowers are also a crap shoot as far as quality and specs go.
    For a law enforcement/self defense rifle, Colt, Bravo Company, Spikes, & Daniel Defense, S&W, RRA are all good.
    For a range rifle, I recommend purchasing a RRA lower and a rifle kit from Delton. Their kits are good quality and priced right. I have built up three rifles this way and they are all reliable and accurate. Plenty of people on here who would help you put it together.

btgarner0

Plinker
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Dec 20, 2010
    Southern IN
    agreed! but to a guy just starting out who has no knowledge and doesnt wanna pay for the tools or is working too much to pay for it, i say buy your first one. shoot it, clean it, fondle it, see if you even like the AR, then maybe build for the second one. theres always a second one :):

I have seen this advice before. Many that have built there AR's have mentioned the same on the tools. Alot to invest if you are only building one.
    I'm personality looking to get my first AR just have not decided on which one as of yet.:twocents::patriot:

LPMan59

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    May 8, 2009
    South of Heaven
    inevitably i will be called a Kool-aid drinker or fanboy but this thread
    DPMS 308/7.62 Sportical... any experience with them? First-hand reviews? Range-reports? - Page 1 - AR15.COM
    is a perfect example of how not all AR companies are created equal. The way the rep called the guy's bluff and then got his ass handed to him.....priceless. DPMS' silence in that thread is deafening. now follow that one up with this one:

Look @ the job DPMS did on my .30 remington ar - Sniper's Hide Forums

starting to see a picture in just 2 threads? ymmv, and I'll enjoy my glass of Kool-Aid now. :koolaid: :laugh:

E5RANGER375

Shooter
    Rating - 100%
    15   0   0
    Feb 22, 2010
    BOATS n' HO's, Indy East
    inevitably i will be called a Kool-aid drinker or fanboy but this thread
    DPMS 308/7.62 Sportical... any experience with them? First-hand reviews? Range-reports? - Page 1 - AR15.COM
    is a perfect example of how not all AR companies are created equal. The way the rep called the guy's bluff and then got his ass handed to him.....priceless. DPMS' silence in that thread is deafening. now follow that one up with this one:

Look @ the job DPMS did on my .30 remington ar - Sniper's Hide Forums

starting to see a picture in just 2 threads? ymmv, and I'll enjoy my glass of Kool-Aid now. :koolaid: :laugh:

WOW! :noway::noway:

I will never even chance it with DPMS ever again after seeing their lack of a response in the first thread and their crafty handy work in the second one. :xmad:

Hop

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    16   0   0
    Jan 21, 2008
    Indy
    I'll toss this one out just so you can get an idea of what manufacturers make quality parts. This is the infamous & somewhat controversial "chart". It doesn't mean that if your rifle is on the right side that it's crap. It doesn't mean if it's on the left that it's the best there is. There's variations in everone's manufacturing processes and QC. Chances are if you buy one from the left you'll probably have fewer if any issues with it. If you buy one from the right it might run perfect for years.

M4 CHART

LPMan59

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    May 8, 2009
    South of Heaven
    WOW! :noway::noway:

I will never even chance it with DPMS ever again after seeing their lack of a response in the first thread and their crafty handy work in the second one. :xmad:

my thoughts exactly. i was considering buying a DPMS upper from Midway, but after reading those threads....no thanks. That first one speaks volumes to the quality of DPMS as a company.

So think about that and not just "The Chart" the next time someone recommends Spikes, BCM or Colt over a Cerebus-owned company.

esrice

Certified Regular Guy
    Rating - 100%
    20   0   0
    Jan 16, 2008
    Indy
    i am think of buy a ar15. i would like to now wat ar15 to stay away from. and wat ones are beter quality to buy.

Start by reading this: So you want to buy an AR-15, huh?

there is just no way I could rationalize the amount of money for the Noveske right now.

I just got a complete 10.5" Noveske upper with a CHF barrel, Daniel Defense MK18 rail, complete with BCG, for $875 out-the-door. That's $125 less than what BCM does comparatively, and only $60 more than what Spike's does. PM me if you need a link. ;)

hotfarmboy1

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Nov 7, 2008
    Madison County
    Start by reading this: So you want to buy an AR-15, huh?

I just got a complete 10.5" Noveske upper with a CHF barrel, Daniel Defense MK18 rail, complete with BCG, for $875 out-the-door. That's $125 less than what BCM does comparatively, and only $60 more than what Spike's does. PM me if you need a link. ;)

I was wondering how much you paid for that. Hmmmm I may have to look into one in the future. ;)

grizman

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Apr 24, 2010
    Home
    This is what it all boils down to, if you are buying/building a M4 style carbine then you will be money ahead with the spikes. Materials, testing and build quality is the same from Spikes as it is with Colt,LMT,Noveske,DD,SD,BCM the only one that may have an advantage is the Noveske's using the M249 barrel steel and thats maybe. Biggest diff is price! The spikes gets you at $400+ less on average. That is a good start on acc items or ammo!
    You can do as you wish but is the name worth an extra 1/3 rd the initial cost for the same quality rifle?

What is it with the Rock River love? They are no different or better than a Stag,Bushmaster or any of the mid range price group AR's including the S&W MP15's. Yeah thats correct I just put S&W,Stag,RR and Bushmaster in the same quality class. Because they are all of the same spec and build quality. To think otherwise is brand specific kool aide talk that has no basis in proven fact based on testing, materials or build quality.

Last edited:

Kick

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    Jan 4, 2010
    Illinois
    I'd try and stay away from DPMS. I had issues with one of mine from there and I know a couple other guys I work with also have had the same issues...

On the other hand, I have had no issues with others and know even more people who have had no issues...

I would just prefer not to take the chance...

Top Bottom