• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • teddy12b

Grandmaster
    Trainer Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    40   0   0
    Nov 25, 2008
    I've replaced a few triggers in AR's over the years and I find myself thinking about doing that again. I've done a Timney, and some RRA two stage triggers, but that's a very small sampling of all the AR triggers that are out there so I'm hoping that some guru's who know more about AR triggers than I do can point me in the right direction.

The rifle in question is a colt 6920 and I bought the rifle because at the time it seemed to be a good standard of durable quality. I'm not trying to turn it into a benchrest gun, but if I get tighter groups then good for me. I put a DD Omega free float rail on it years ago so I'm not really concerned about that.

I'd like to replace the mil-spec trigger with something that breaks clean and crisp and maybe even a little bit lighter, but is also tough and durable. I don't want to find out later on down the road that the trigger I installed is only meant for competitions at the range and should be handled delicately. I want something that'd be able to take some abuse, but also give a quality pull each time.

What are your thoughts?

melensdad

Grandmaster
    Rating - 94.7%
    18   1   0
    Apr 2, 2008
    Far West Suburban Lowellabama
    I've replaced a few triggers in AR's over the years and I find myself thinking about doing that again. I've done a Timney, and some RRA two stage triggers. . .

. . . What are your thoughts?

I've used lots of different AR triggers. Not impressed with the RRA 2-state when it is compared to the Timney, I think the Timney is much better. I've never used the Spikes. My latest install is the AR-Gold trigger. Not shot it yet, but if it stays dry tomorrow I'll be shooting it in one of my 6.5 Grendel chambered AR15 rifles.

In side by side dry fire comparisons between the Timney and the AR-Gold I'll give a big advantage to the AR-Gold. I didn't think that was possible! So far all the hype about this trigger is real. I'm looking for real fire testing to check out the reset, its claimed to be the shortest/fastest.

Here is a thread on the AR-Gold => https://www.indianagunowners.com/fo..._gold_trigger_from_pact_american_trigger.html

jrainw

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Jul 20, 2008
    Morgan county
    I love my high speed in my service rifle but wouldn't want it in a combat rifle only becuase it has adjusting screws. I've put many thousands of rounds down range with it without any trouble but a combat trigger should be simple. I also have a SSF in an M16 and it is fantastic. Very simple and durable, the SSA is the semi version of this trigger. Bill Geissele sets up at Perry with Frank White of Compass Lake and is one heck of a nice guy.

Taylorz71

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Jan 21, 2011
    Central IN
    Have you thought about the Spikes Battle trigger? Seems to be a very nice upgrade for the money.

I just installed one of these yesterday and shot it today. It is very nice over the DPMS that I installed from a kit for a small amount of $. I will say it is much crisper, but still pretty heavy. I am sure that will loosen some over time and the 50 rounds I shot today were very consistent and smooth.

sgreen3

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    51   0   0
    Jan 19, 2011
    Scottsburg,In
    I just installed one of these yesterday and shot it today. It is very nice over the DPMS that I installed from a kit for a small amount of $. I will say it is much crisper, but still pretty heavy. I am sure that will loosen some over time and the 50 rounds I shot today were very consistent and smooth.

Im gonna get one for my DPMS, my buddy got one installed in his AR, I though it was a nice upgrade for the money.

ISP 5353

Master
    Industry Partner
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Jul 21, 2009
    Putnam County
    I have had good luck with Jewel triggers on a couple of my ARs. Good feel, easy to adjust and have with stood about 4K rounds so far.

sloughfoot

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    26   0   0
    Apr 17, 2008
    Huntertown, IN
    If your 6920 is a large pin, I have a Jewell I would loan you to try. If you like it, give me $100. We will both be happy.

Joe R. had a RRA fail, not sure why. But the RRA with Wolff extra power hammer spring is my favorite AR trigger. I have thousands of rounds with several of them.

PM me if you want to try a Jewell.

Sigasaurus

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    111   0   0
    Apr 6, 2011
    Plainfield

jp yellow springs make all the difference and I think they are only like 10 bucks.

teddy12b

Grandmaster
    Trainer Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    40   0   0
    Nov 25, 2008
    jp yellow springs make all the difference and I think they are only like 10 bucks.

I bought a set of these to try out. They're supposed to take a mil-spec trigger and make it 4 - 4.5 #'s. We'll see how it goes, but almost all my 223 ammo is handloaded and what little factory ammo I run is the federal american eagle. I'm going to at least try it out once for as cheap as it is.

Sloughfoot, my colt is the small pin so unfortunately that won't work out. I appreciate the offer though.

I appreciate all the help guys.

Last edited:

Hillbilly

Marksman
    Rating - 100%
    8   0   0
    Jul 27, 2009
    Anderson
    I have Geissele triggers in a couple of rifles. In my bench rifle, I have a High Speed Match trigger. That one feels incredible...clean and light. In my MK12, I have a High Speed DMR trigger. It feels very close to the Match trigger, but is slightly heavier. Very slightly heavier. Both are great triggers and I would recommend them to anyone.

Site Supporter

INGO Supporter

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    jojo99
    Top Bottom