• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Bull13

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Apr 11, 2009
    Hamilton Cty
    I have finally, unfortunately I might add; have a problem with my AR. It is an Olympic Arms with a heavy barrel. I don't believe that is the problem. It has always been very reliable, and I take very good care with and of it.

So, there I am at my 2nd Appleseed. I am on day one, half way through the day. Really nice tight groups in prone. Feeling very comfortable in seated, and holding my own standing. When all of a sudden, my rifle stops ejecting spent cartridges and partially strips a hot round into the chamber. This continues about every 3rd round or so. Three different kinds of amo, three different mags, extra lube, a good cleaning, etc.

After careful thought and deduction of magazines, rifles, and different ammo, not to mention all kinds of help from XD Man, Heavy Duty, and Sir+ Rifle. Thank you again for your patience and persistence, and help!
    Anyway, my belief is that I caused the problem by loosening my gas block, breaking the thread locker and not getting it put back properly.(ie thread lock, and maybe position)
    There was also evidence of fowling between hand guard and block. My self and another guy I met, took it back to his truck during an AQT and loosened it, tapped it rearward, and tightened gas block back up. This worked for about 10 rounds fired, then back to drawing board.
    What I am wondering is, has anyone else had this problem and what was your solution?
    I want to do the right thing the first time, and not waste money and time. I might even try and fix it myself with some careful study in my arsenal.
    XD mentioned I might want to have the gas block "staked". That makes sense. If it is what I think it is.
    What else am I not thinking of?:ar15::chillout:

Last edited:

Fixer

Expert
    Rating - 96.4%
    26   1   1
    Nov 22, 2009
    Fort Wayne Area
    If the bolt moves far enough back to grab a new round then it probably is not in the gas system. Might try taking the bolt apart and cleaning the extractor and ejector. Might be why it is not kicking the old case out of the action. Unfortunatly like having car trouble and having a mechanic diagnose it over the phone, have to see it to accuratly be able to tell whats wrong. Just like my guess, it is only that unless you can actually see the rifle. Good luck with it, I am sure it will probably be something simple.

Bull13

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Apr 11, 2009
    Hamilton Cty
    Thanks for that peace of info.

Well, you cant fault me for trying. I disassembled the rifle... I did take the extractor apart, cleaned and inspected the spring and actual extractor. i am going to order the upgrade for it as well, I guess its both the spring and gasket, as well as new extractor. that's only part of the problem now.

I shot some Gun Scrubber down the gas tube and it leaked out all around the gas block. It never did that before, so I am guessing there is a sealant that is used when installing the gas block, right? Because when I tool out the Alan screws, the holes were perfectly aligned with the marks on the barrel left from the set screws. And I know I have moved it enough to breal any sealant that may have been on the barrel.

I tried taking the gas block off and it wont budge.... well it moved a little but the gas tube was moving with it, and I had already removed the gas tube retaining pin. UGH!:xmad: Looks like its off the gun DR.

I have learned my lesson. Participate in a AR build before the next time I dismantle my AR.:D

Last edited:

Fargo

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    13   0   0
    Mar 11, 2009
    In a state of acute Pork-i-docis
    Have you checked your ejector to make sure it isn't sticking down and moves freely? If you get a bit of brass down there, the extractor will hang on to the spend case and it will cause a double feed with the spent case and the hot round. Post a pic of the malf if you get a chance.

Best,

Joe

mconley

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    24   0   0
    Aug 17, 2008
    Hendricks Co.
    check the gas tube as well, sometimes when a company uses cheaper parts to make their rifles more "afordable" they uses thiner metals in this area. See if there is any cracks in the gas tube, or carbon build up for that matter.

pftraining_in

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    May 19, 2009
    IN: South of I-70
    The gas block could be misaligned causing the gas port in the FSB and the barrel to be out of line.

Is the gas key staked?

Is the gas tube properly aligned in the receiver?

Does your gas tube shows uneven wear on one side?

How are your gas rings?

Bull13

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Apr 11, 2009
    Hamilton Cty
    Is the gas key staked? No, and two armorers said it wasn't absolutely necessary.

Is the gas tube properly aligned in the receiver? Yes, looks fine, as well the bolt carrier comes to front position smoothly and breech locks, so to speak...

Does your gas tube shows uneven wear on one side? I'm assuming you mean in the breach, no.

How are your gas rings? I put a one peace in when i purchased it.

Here is what I have done and learned. I voided the Lifetime Warranty by messing with the block. Duh. Another expensive life lesson...
    Anyway, I completely removed the gas block and tube. I had to heat the block with a torch (no not to much), just warmed it, because I realized that manufacturer uses two drops to lock tite to hold the position. Inspected tube, no cracks or breaks. Inspected block, same, no and none.

I repositioned the block on the barrel aligning holes with din screw marks. Plugged breach with a spent round, blew compressed air down barrel from exit side and maneuvered the block until I found the highest amount of pressure I could find at the other end of gas tube. Thread locked screws down and torqued, checked gas tube alignment in breach. I replaced extractor roll pin, upgraded spring and rubber washer and, replaced retaining pin.

Need to get a range ASAP and put it through its paces and see. Anything I'm forgetting? I am obviously a novice, but want to learn. Looking forward to an AR Build.

DocIndy

Master
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    40   0   0
    Mar 30, 2010
    Franklin
    I'm curious to see if you cured the problem. I've got a Olympic also and I know some give us Olympic owners a load of crap, but I have yet to have a issue.

Bull13

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Apr 11, 2009
    Hamilton Cty
    I'm curious to see if you cured the problem. I've got a Olympic also and I know some give us Olympic owners a load of crap, but I have yet to have a issue.

I will let you know. I am going to get out this weekend, rain or no rain and see what I have accomplished...if anything:dunno:

Parts are in and I have an itchy trigger finger.:ar15:

Yah, getting crap about Olympic,from guys that have thousands in their rifles is indicative of the times we live in. I think it's a good platform to learn and build from. I think, one day when I can justify a $1500+ purchase on a tool that makes holes in paper, I will get a DPMS or Black Diamond or even a Colt.

Bull13

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Apr 11, 2009
    Hamilton Cty
    If the block is as tight as you say it is, I would think that it would be a matter of alignment.

The gas block was tight, due to 2 drops od Lock Tight used to between barrel and block at assembly.:dunno:

I warmed up the block to get it off for inspection. Scraped off that stuff and then the block was just snug when putting it back on.

Litlratt

Master
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    May 17, 2009
    Terre Haute
    The gas block was tight, due to 2 drops od Lock Tight used to between barrel and block at assembly.:dunno:

I warmed up the block to get it off for inspection. Scraped off that stuff and then the block was just snug when putting it back on.
    I would try reapplying the Loctite. Being careful not to seal the holes in the barrel or block.

Top Bottom