• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • pute62

Master
    Rating - 100%
    23   0   0
    Jan 29, 2009
    Lawrence
    I've never had,shot or even really looked at an AR-15 so figured I would seek some info on one I may look at trading for. All I have been told about the gun is that it has a Cavalry Arms complete lower and a Colt complete upper and is a Vietnam style AR (which all means nothing to me) I realize it could have many different parts in it but am just wondering what are some of the things I should beware of or look for in the gun. The trade may be in my favor and I really wouldn't shoot the gun much but just thought it may be good to have around.

Fordtough25

Grandmaster
    Rating - 99.1%
    111   1   0
    Apr 14, 2010
    Jefferson County
    They are fun to shoot that's for sure! The "Vietnam" style means it has an A1 upper, 20" barrel, fixed carry handle and ok peep sight setup, triangle style handguards, and the older ones are usually not marked with twist rate. Calvary arms lower is a polymer lower, they're are lightweight and function fine in my experience but you can't change out the grip or stock. Good luck and if the deal is good and you just want an AR to shoot it would be fine!

AzNooB

Plinker
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Apr 15, 2011
    Unless you're getting an amazing deal on it and the Colt upper is truly all Colt, I wouldn't want that type of setup for my first AR.

A telescopic stock and a flat top upper will give you many more options on how you configure the rifle.

iamaclone45

Expert
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Feb 2, 2009
    Indiana
    Unless you're getting an amazing deal on it and the Colt upper is truly all Colt, I wouldn't want that type of setup for my first AR.

This. Unless they cut you an awesome deal then I would probably pass on it and look for other options.

Sounds like someone had a bunch of parts laying around and just threw them together.

Things to look for are obvious damage to the rifle, rust, etc. Make sure the upper mounts tight to the lower. You probably want to stay clear if there is a lot of wobble between the two. Take a look at the bolt carrier group. Look for signs of heavy wear on the metal. Cycle the bolt using the charging handle and make sure the operation is smooth. Function check the bolt release, magazine release, and trigger. If this trade is local, then try to set up a range visit where you can put some rounds through the rifle to make sure it functions correctly.

The upper will look something like this:

m16a1brimob.jpg

And the lower like this:

sany00022.jpg

Last edited:

Site Supporter

INGO Supporter

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    Michael.