• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • pops66goat

Plinker
    Rating - 66.7%
    2   1   0
    Dec 15, 2011
    Greenfield IN.
    Had a question for all the AR-15 guys, are all AR15 lowers made the same? I am seeing way more lowers for sale than uppers...will all uppers fit on all lowers? I know that is a broad question but I was thinking of building one and looking at a couple lowers.

bass pro

Marksman
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Aug 11, 2008
    west side guy
    The break down pins on the colt models are larger than any other mfg. The olympic 9mm uppers will only work with full size oly mags, etc. You have to be careful that you buy compatable parts.

abnk

Master
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Mar 25, 2008
    Not all lowers are identical. Not all lower parts are of decent quality. Spend your money wisely.

mvician

Master
    Rating - 100%
    9   0   0
    May 19, 2008
    NW Indiana
    so what would be some examples of good quality manufactures and bad ones?

Depends on how much you want to spend, you can go basic, to fancy.
    Most everything now days is good to go. Pick a lower that you like the price or one with the rollmark you like and go from there.

Purchase from well know vendors and everything should be fine.
    Don't buy parts in sandwich bags at a gun show.

Last edited:

melensdad

Grandmaster
    Rating - 94.7%
    18   1   0
    Apr 2, 2008
    Far West Suburban Lowellabama
    Had a question for all the AR-15 guys, are all AR15 lowers made the same? I am seeing way more lowers for sale than uppers...will all uppers fit on all lowers? I know that is a broad question but I was thinking of building one and looking at a couple lowers.

Yes. Assuming you are buying quality parts from quality manufacturers.
    AGREED

I've got nearly a dozen AR15s currently of various brands from factory built to full custom target grades. I've owned many others over the years. There is way too much emphasis placed on "brands."

The break down pins on the colt models are larger than any other mfg.
    This is NOT true. It WAS true a decade or two ago. All recently made, and all current production from Colt conforms to the market standards to which all the manufacturers build.

The olympic 9mm uppers will only work with full size oly mags, etc.
    This is NOT true. If you want proof you are welcome to swap my Oly 9mm upper onto any of your AR lowers. They work wonderfully on any of mine and I have about a dozen ARs of several different makes. Slap in a mag block and a surplus STEN magazine and they are good to go.

The word "mil-spec" is over used, and shady companies advertise their wares as "mil-spec" when they are no such thing. So to someone new, the word "mil-pec" isn't much help.
    AGREED 100%.

As someone said, "MIL-SPEC" simply means it means the MINIMUM STANDARD set by the military and conforms to VERY SPECIFIC requirements. There are higher standards but to build a gun to higher standards means, by default, it is not a "mil spec" part or gun.

The concept that a good rifle must be "MIL-SPEC" is one of the biggest jokes played on the consumer in many years.

Top Bottom