• ...and so much more!
  • mvician

Master
    Rating - 100%
    9   0   0
    May 19, 2008
    NW Indiana
    Factory Bushmaster.

if meaning "factory" it has the semi auto carrier and standard carbine buffer?

as I said, setup properly, (meaning a full auto carrier and a heavier buffer, maybe even a stronger recoil spring) you won't really be able to tell a difference.
    Most AR manufacturers use too large of a gas port so their rifle will run on cheap low powered ammo. Even then it's too much gas.

I was disappointed when I built a midlength and first shot it. I was expecting something "softer shooting" than my tuned carbine gas systems. :):

gregkl

Outlier
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    33   0   0
    Apr 8, 2012
    Bloomington

as I said, setup properly, (meaning a full auto carrier and a heavier buffer, maybe even a stronger recoil spring) you won't really be able to tell a difference.
    Most AR manufacturers use too large of a gas port so their rifle will run on cheap low powered ammo. Even then it's too much gas.

I was disappointed when I built a midlength and first shot it. I was expecting something "softer shooting" than my tuned carbine gas systems. :):

Since I have not even shot an AR yet, I shouldn't be disappointed with my mid-length, right?:)

U.S. Patriot

Grandmaster
    Rating - 87.5%
    7   1   0
    Jan 30, 2009
    Columbus

Full auto carrier standard buffer and spring.

gregkl

Outlier
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    33   0   0
    Apr 8, 2012
    Bloomington
    I got the PSA buffer with my STR stock "kit". How do I know if it's a standard or heavy buffer? I didn't see any markings on it.

mvician

Master
    Rating - 100%
    9   0   0
    May 19, 2008
    NW Indiana
    I want to be able to shoot wolf steel case in my ar. What would I need for it to do it reliably

Buy a couple of boxes first.
    Make sure your chamber is clean to start with.
    You may want to check your extractor spring and possibly upgrade it.
    Shoot the wolf, see if it will run in your AR reliably.
    Buy more if it does.

upgrade kit for extractor

BCM SOPMOD Bolt Upgrade/Rebuild Kit

mvician

Master
    Rating - 100%
    9   0   0
    May 19, 2008
    NW Indiana
    Most buffers will be marked H1,2 or 3 etc.. If no markings they are usually H1.

If NO markings the buffer is standard carbine weight.

these are the standard type buffers

4ujpbva.jpg

mvician

Master
    Rating - 100%
    9   0   0
    May 19, 2008
    NW Indiana
    Also by looking at that picture you can see that the "rifle" buffer weighs 5.1 ounces overall.

Back in the AWB days, carbine gas system rifles either came with an A2 stock or a pinned faux M4 stock. Inside the faux M4 setup was a rifle buffer (5.1 oz.) Also present during the AWB were semi auto bolt carriers. These are around .4 ounces lighter than the full auto style.

So now you remove that rifle buffer/spring combo and drop in a slightly stiffer carbine spring and a buffer that is 2.1 ounces lighter, and you are back to an over gassed carbine system. That's the reason why a heavier buffer and a full auto style carrier will show benefits in a carbine length gas system.

If you have a semi auto carrier, run a H2
    If you have a full auto carrier, run the H

These are starting points, and what runs best in your carbine gas system will depend on factors such as.....

gas port size
    ammunition being used

You want to run the heaviest buffer that will still allow your rifle to reliably cycle the weakest ammo you may use.

Top Bottom