• View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • IlikeAk's

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jul 17, 2012
    At this point leaning toward the bcm. What are the real advantages having a nickel boron coating like the fail zero? besides being really slick of course

03A3

Expert
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 8, 2009
    Shaker Prairie
    At this point leaning toward the bcm. What are the real advantages having a nickel boron coating like the fail zero? besides being really slick of course

I have no experiance with the nickel boron variety. Slicker coundn't hurt.
    But on the other hand the average bolt carrier will work plenty good enough.
    I would opt for the BCM, or any other good quality BC that is available.
    I haven't looked but I keep hearing that the availability of AR parts can be limited at times here lately.

TenZero

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Oct 6, 2012
    Indianapolis
    I like the concept of the nickel boron but to be honest cleaning a non coated bolt carrier is pretty effortless.

BCM is definitely good to go.

IlikeAk's

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jul 17, 2012
    Since it also my first AR im also thinking about just purhasing one. What is everyone's thought on rock river AR's?

03A3

Expert
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 8, 2009
    Shaker Prairie
    I've never had a RRA but a lot of people are real pleased with theirs.
    I do have a basic S&W MP15 that has been a good gun. It's been rode hard and has been trouble free. It's but one of many options.

gregkl

Outlier
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    33   0   0
    Apr 8, 2012
    Bloomington
    I am a total noob on AR's. How noobish? I have never shot one! But I just finished building mine. I am waiting on mags so I can try it out.:)

I really enjoyed building it and I got a WMD NiB bolt. I work in a tech center for automotive parts manufacturing and I get trade magazines a lot and recently read a good article on NiB. Without rambling on, it is good stuff. For non-moving parts I wouldn't use it, but for a BCG I think it's worth it. Lubricity is high, durability is high, looks good, cleans easily. I was within about $15 of a standard BCM BCG when I picked mine up at Bradis on sale.

For me it was a no-brainer at that point and I could not have bought an AR outfitted like mine for what I have in it.

mvician

Master
    Rating - 100%
    9   0   0
    May 19, 2008
    NW Indiana
    Since it also my first AR im also thinking about just purhasing one. What is everyone's thought on rock river AR's?

Depending on which RRA you want, middle of the road, long wait time if you are going to order one. What price range are you thinking of? What type (style) of AR?

IlikeAk's

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jul 17, 2012
    Depending on which RRA you want, middle of the road, long wait time if you are going to order one. What price range are you thinking of? What type (style) of AR?

They have some at my local gun shop for about $950 (orion arms). I want a 16 inch pencil barrel. I dont care on which gas system because i plan to eventually put on a low pro gas block and noveske nsr rail. Is the carbine or mid-length more reliable then the other or are they pretty much the same?

mvician

Master
    Rating - 100%
    9   0   0
    May 19, 2008
    NW Indiana
    They have some at my local gun shop for about $950 (orion arms). I want a 16 inch pencil barrel. I dont care on which gas system because i plan to eventually put on a low pro gas block and noveske nsr rail. Is the carbine or mid-length more reliable then the other or are they pretty much the same?

Setup properly you would not be able to tell the difference between a carbine gas system and a midlength.

Fordtough25

Grandmaster
    Rating - 99.1%
    111   1   0
    Apr 14, 2010
    Jefferson County

I saw more RRA's at Knob creek in one place than I have in years! :): I've had several RRA's without a problem, along with Colt, Spikes, now PSA, and even a DPMS. :cool:

U.S. Patriot

Grandmaster
    Rating - 87.5%
    7   1   0
    Jan 30, 2009
    Columbus
    Supposedly the fail-zero is easier to clean and is self lubricating. I can not see the extra cost being worth it. Keep your BCG lubed and clean, and you'll have nothing to worry about. I run BCM BCG's in both my AR's, and they are GTG.

Site Supporter

INGO Supporter

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    Michael.
    Top Bottom