• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Vince

Plinker
    Rating - 100%
    16   0   0
    Jan 3, 2009
    Ripley County
    I will throw out CMMG. Every so often they have great deals on complete rifles.

You could also shop around for a complete lower and complete upper. Del-Ton and Bravo Co. are just a few places off the top of my head.

tater86

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Aug 28, 2011
    The way I see it is I can't give a bad review to dpms until I have a problem. And so far it shoots every time I pull the trigger!

illini40

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Nov 28, 2010
    Nobody on ingo seems to like dpms panther but I was looking into a entry level ar and i bought one from Plainfield shooting supplies (5.56) with a hard case and 2 mags for $629. (brand new plus tax) and i have NEVER had any issue with it. But i do understand there are a lot more experienced guys in here that have good reason. Everyone wants a spikes or rock river arms. Some just can't afford it. Plus you can build it up yourself, for me that was as much fun as shooting it.

I am in the same boat. The DPMS fit the bill for me, and the budget. Goes bang every time I pull the trigger.

I am sure my next will be something different, but the DPMS has been a great AR to get me into the craze.

sepe

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Jun 15, 2010
    Accra, Ghana
    I've got a pistol on a DPMS lower and it is fine. It functions as it should and it has a pretty decent finish. The PSA finish and attention to detail is better. I don't want a Spikes as you can get the PSA lowers (made side by side) cheaper and you can put a quality upper on it for less than one with a Spikes name. RRA, only way I'd get one is if I were to get an upper for .458 SOCOM. Far too often people think that $$$ spent automatically means you have something better. If you know where parts are made, you can go more of a "budget" route and have the same rifle or better.

JohnP82

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    12   0   0
    Apr 2, 2009
    Fort Wayne
    Same here OP. I am an AK guy, but recently drank the AR kool aid too. I still prefer the AK, but I do love my AR :D

I went with a s&w m&p15 sport for my first AR platform rifle. $625 out the door and I am very happy with it. Other than that I agree with many others: PSA, CMMG, Spikes are all good choices.

windellmc

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    21   0   0
    Jan 5, 2011
    Greenwood
    For $700 or less I would say PSA all the way if you think you can tackle building your own. I have heard the M&P Sport is also good but you can find it cheaper than Gander Mountain. Bradis is only a few minutes from Mooresville, and they will sell you one for less than Gander Mtn.

If you have moderate to good mechanical skills building an AR lower is easy and you can build something nice for $700 or less.

If you can get your car keys in the ignition and get it to start you can assemble a complete lower to a complete upper although I am not sure that saves you any money compared to buying a complete rifle.

dross

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 27, 2009
    Monument, CO
    CDNN always has some great deals. A while back they had a run of Les Baers for around a thousand bucks. They also carry lots of cheaper ones.

Top Bottom