• View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Roafd1974

Plinker
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Mar 13, 2009
    I'm very interested in learning also . I would need a list of what I would need to buy to get everything need to build an AR. Please let me know when the class is going to be. Thanks

sepe

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Jun 15, 2010
    Accra, Ghana
    I think the most important thing building an AR lower is patience. I didn't buy anything special and I only lost 1 roll pin but ACE has ones that are almost exact matches.

Of course, if you ever decide to build a real rifle, gather up an AK parts kit and I'll help you hammer it together. Putting the lower together really is a lot easier than you'd think.

flame on... :)

I don't have a hammer. Would it be possible to use a few rocks of various sizes?

TTB Yeee

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 95.8%
    23   1   0
    Aug 17, 2010
    Ohio
    Honestly, I just finished putting my first lower together in about an hour and a half. No special tools needed (just some punches), and pretty straightforward.

I actually used the ar15.com walk-through and the youtube video (both linked in this thread) in order for two clarifications of each step. If you are unfamiliar with ARs like I am, some of the instructions weren't detailed enough so I had to switch between the two, which worked out well.

Make sure you watch the takedown detent, mine shot away from me twice. Luckily I was able to find it both times.

Now, the upper seems to be a whole different monster, so I plan on just purchasing a completed upper.

sepe

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Jun 15, 2010
    Accra, Ghana
    Honestly, I just finished putting my first lower together in about an hour and a half. No special tools needed (just some punches), and pretty straightforward.

I actually used the ar15.com walk-through and the youtube video (both linked in this thread) in order for two clarifications of each step. If you are unfamiliar with ARs like I am, some of the instructions weren't detailed enough so I had to switch between the two, which worked out well.

Make sure you watch the takedown detent, mine shot away from me twice. Luckily I was able to find it both times.

Now, the upper seems to be a whole different monster, so I plan on just purchasing a completed upper.

From the videos I've watched, the uppers don't seem that bad as long as you invest in quality tools. If you're only planning on 1 or 2 builds, it makes more sense to me to just buy a complete upper. For the pivot pin detent, I just used a razor blade to hold it in while I got the pin started. When I did my first lower, I had the ar15.com walk-through and a youtube video up. I spent more time messing around than I did doing the build and I'd say it was right around an hour to an hour and a half.

lucky4034

Master
    Rating - 100%
    13   0   0
    Jan 14, 2012
    I used a Youtube video as well and it worked out flawlessly. To build the lower, you don't even need any special tools. Hammer, nail, boxcutter and a flat head and you will be all good to go.

The upper is a bit more difficult, but still relatively easy

Top Bottom