Morgan Township, NWI
    My newly acquired MOE handguards bought from a fellow INGOer

Picture001.jpg

Picture006.jpg

Rating - 100%
    18   0   0
    Dec 7, 2008
    Greenfield
    Well, I was recently inspired (if that is what you call it ;)) by Shooter521 to give my AR a well deserved makeover, so I thought I would share. I really wish I would have slowed down with the process, but as usual, I rushed right through it. I also wish I would have taken before/during/after photo's.

Oh well, I am pretty stoked with how it turned out.

ghitch75

livin' in the sticks
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    119   0   0
    Dec 21, 2009
    Greene County
    Well, I was recently inspired (if that is what you call it ;)) by Shooter521 to give my AR a well deserved makeover, so I thought I would share. I really wish I would have slowed down with the process, but as usual, I rushed right through it. I also wish I would have taken before/during/after photo's.

Oh well, I am pretty stoked with how it turned out.

don't drop it in the woods....you'll never find it!!!:ar15::ar15::ar15:

nice job BTW....

shooter521

Certified Glock Nut
    Rating - 100%
    17   0   0
    May 13, 2008
    Indianapolis, IN US
    Well, I was recently inspired (if that is what you call it ;)) by Shooter521 to give my AR a well deserved makeover, so I thought I would share.

Neat! You might consider adding a third contrasting color running opposite of the current pattern, to further assist in breaking up the outline.

What product and process did you end up using?

Rating - 100%
    18   0   0
    Dec 7, 2008
    Greenfield
    Thanks to all for the compliments!

You might consider adding a third contrasting color running opposite of the current pattern, to further assist in breaking up the outline.

I thought about a third color, but really don't know what color I would use. I wanted to stay away from black, especially since that is primarily what I painted over. I have my two primary colors that I wanted. But maybe an acccent with a woodland brown. It woud be very subtle though, as I really like the two primary colors and don't want to take too much away from them.

As far as pattern, and running it opposite, this was a total amature job, and I am no expert, but I understand what your saying. I am honestly afraid I might mess up what looks pretty okay right now.

What product and process did you end up using?

Product: Super Special Secret Government Rattle Can Krylon - This was an absolute test run / amature job. And it was on one of my AR's that I felt I could "afford to mess up" so to speak. Worst case scenario, it looks funny, but still shoots straight! :D Plus, I run this rifle really hard, so if it gets scratched, thrown down, trampled....I am okay with it.

Process: What process? :dunno: "Process" is such a formal word that seems to imply technical reasoning and methodology...something with multiple calculated steps. My "process" was literally some masking tape, and 20 minutes in my garage.

I must say I am thoroughly impressed with how it turned out and the quality of the finish given the effort I put into it. If I would take a little time I bet I could make some kick a** patterns. Just not sure yet how adventurous I want to get.

WaltherFan

Marksman
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Dec 4, 2009
    EM69XX aka Fishers
    First build is done:
    Rock River Arms Flat Top receiver and 16" Wilson, chrome lined, Carbine length gas system, 1/9 twist, 5.56 NATO chamber. The forend is a Yankee Hill Machine 7 Inch Diamond Quad Rail with a YHM Flip-up front sight and A2 flash hider.

picture.php

picture.php

peloe16

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Apr 12, 2010
    Cincy
    First build is done:
    Rock River Arms Flat Top receiver and 16" Wilson, chrome lined, Carbine length gas system, 1/9 twist, 5.56 NATO chamber. The forend is a Yankee Hill Machine 7 Inch Diamond Quad Rail with a YHM Flip-up front sight and A2 flash hider.

picture.php

picture.php

i want an upper exactly like this. tell me more:)

red_zr24x4

UA#190
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Mar 14, 2009
    Walkerton
    I just posted this in the rifle section---
    Delaware machine lower, DPMS lower parts kit,used A1 stock, used SP1 20"light weight bbl. All for roughly $475!
    Shot it tue. and it functioned like a champ! Pictures comeing next week when the wife gets back in town with the camera

Kuting

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Apr 26, 2010
    MSG2 - Frankfort
    My new blaster.

The Lower: BCM 5.56mm AR-15
    Stock - MagPul CTR (Milspec)
    Grip - Magpul MIAD, currently with the 3 round plug, but I plan on getting the one that holds a spare bolt and firing pin.
    Other lower mods - Troy ambi mag catch. I've got a Nargon as well, and the Troy is the only one I would ever recommend to lefties. I'll be putting a Troy ambi safety in there as well.

The Upper: BCM Pinned and welded 14.5" BCM BFH cold hammer forged 1:7 barrel with an A2X flash hider (Bringing the bbl to 16.1" OAL)
    Rail - LaRue 12" FF Rail
    BUIS - Troy folders
    Optic - Aimpoint CompM2 with a LaRue Cantilevered mount.
    White Light - Surefire Scout light in a Gear Selector Offset Mount (11 O'clock) with a single button tape switch at 9 O'Clock, mounted with zip ties to keep as low profile as possible. The Tango Down rail sections are nice, but this is as sleek as you can go with a tape switch. Perfectly accessible from the AFG using a wrap-around grip.
    Grip - MagPul Gen II AFG. Much less bulky than the Gen I. Mounted as far forward as possible to facilitate a proper wrap-around grip. I'm 6'2" and my wingspan was the main drive behind the longer rail. The 12" rail and 14.5" bbl is an awesome combo, IMHO.
    Sling point - VTac LUSA. The ability to mount any sling to the front of the weapon with a single piece of kit is awesome. Viking Tactics makes solid gear. Highly recommended.
    Charging Hangle - Badger Ordnance Ambi Charging Handle with left handed Tactical Latch. As close as you can get to a BCM Gunfighter for a southpaw.

Other info:
    Sling - VTac MKII 2-Point adjustable sling.
    Mags - Mostly 30 round PMags, but I'm still phasing out some USGI 30 rounders. (No, never ever ever for sale. "Too many mags" will never be a sentence I use. Haha)
    Lube - Slip 2000 EWL. Extend the life of your gun, cut down on weapon related malfunctions, disperse heat better. My only option, so long as I have an option.
    Batteries - Only Surefire or major name brand batteries. This may seem like an odd thing to put in a post about a gun, but don't buy a $300 flashlight or $500+ optic and put cheap batteries in it. You'll only kick yourself later.
    Gear - For training I use either an Eagle SKD M4 Chest rig (8 mags, IFAK, X-Harness) or my PIG Plate Carrier with BFG 10 Speed pouches, 2 double mag pouches across the chest. I like to keep it as slick as possible. I also keep 2 AR mags on my belt at 2 O'Clock (Again, BFG 10 Speed) The combination of keeping my rifle free of attachments on the 3 O'Clock side and plate carrier/chest rig as slick as possible, with the VTac sling keeps snags extremely minimal and weapon manipulations fairly smooth.
    Paint - Majic brand camo paint (Can be found at Rural King) it's cheap, looks great, dries quick, and holds up well. You can spend double on Krylon or triple on Aevero, but at that point you might as well just Duracoat it. As to how I did the paint, I did a complete base coat of "Desert Tan" then threw it in a fishnet stocking to get the "snakeskin" look. I hit it with some OD Green and Earth Brown and let it dry overnight.

Enjoy.

S5030842.jpg

S5030843.jpg

Kut

DarkRose

Master
    Rating - 100%
    11   0   0
    May 14, 2010
    Columbus, Indiana
    Paint - Majic brand camo paint (Can be found at Rural King) it's cheap, looks great, dries quick, and holds up well. You can spend double on Krylon or triple on Aevero, but at that point you might as well just Duracoat it. As to how I did the paint, I did a complete base coat of "Desert Tan" then threw it in a fishnet stocking to get the "snakeskin" look. I hit it with some OD Green and Earth Brown and let it dry overnight.

Enjoy.

S5030842.jpg

S5030843.jpg

Kut

I like fishnets... Wait... :wrongdoor:

Seriously, love the paint, and hadn't even thought about using fishnets for a scale pattern, I'll have to keep that in mind... I'd like to do something like that in a black/grey....

Status
    Not open for further replies.
    Top Bottom