• View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • yenningcomity

Marksman
    Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    Dec 5, 2009
    Started thinking about storing my soon to purchase firearms as well as larger quantities of ammunition due to reloading. I realize that what I am referring to is technically not a true safe, but for the sake of the thread let us leave it at that.

I am looking for people's opinion and experiences with something like the Liberty Centurion. I live on the second floor of my apt complex and regularly haul 250-300lb pinball machines upstairs. I would like to cap it at that, I have managed more, but after the dr pepper machine I would rather not have to.

My main reason for wanting it is two-fold. In the past I have stored my firearms in soft cases, in the closet. The ammunition is in the same closet. For the most part I would have a couple thousand rounds of .22lr. Occasionally I would have 50-100 rounds of 9mm, 357, or 30 carbine. Since I am looking to reload I could easily see myself keeping 500 rounds loaded for each caliber I own at any one time. The safe won't stop a well prepared criminal, but it could keep an unprepared one out. It is too bulky to carry easily carry out, and knocking it over would cause a huge racket.

The second is a little bit of fire protection. Insurance can replace anything I buy at this point, but it would be nice to be able to store a few personal effects. I understand it is not as good as a quality document safe, but it is better then nothing which is what I currently have.

How do stable are these smaller "safes" when not bolted down? I am planning on setting it in a corner wedged next to my reloading bench, but I do not want to have to worry about someone bumping into it. The centurion is beefy, but it has a small footprint and looks like it could be a bit top heavy.

How well do they hold up on the inside? I find plenty people that are happy with their "safe", but there doesn't seem to be a lot of feedback about how well the inside holds up from use.

Any reason I shouldn't store ammunition inside the safe?

Is there anything int he 400 or less range that I should look at? I am looking for something that can store a handful of long guns (4 would be fine) and a couple of handguns (4-5). After I get that many I can look into spending more on a safe. I am looking for a manual lock, preferably no emergency key, and I do not want anything I can pickup by myself.

Are there any places besides lowes to keep on eye on for sales? I have been look at CL, but have not come across anything.

the1kidd03

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Jul 19, 2011
    somewhere
    PM me and I'll give you an "inside local deal" that I know of. Anyhow, spend the money on the biggest/strongest safe you can afford and get upstairs. Tractor supply has a couple descent quality safes at better prices than other locations which will still be easily taken upstairs. I think they have a good one or two which were either 600 or 699...but the local one that I know of is more within your price range you mentioned if you don't mind a little cosmetic blemishing

I also have an apartment friendly solution to the "not being bolted down" issues which surround apartments...feel free to PM me to inquire about that as well.....my design will thoroughly prevent anyone from removing your safe and so if you get a slightly better quality one which can't be pried open with a flathead screwdriver...even that of a high dollar stack on, they will not be able to get into it. I've been lucky enough to have the opportunity to get to try to break into safes and provided you can lay it down they are relatively easy to get into...and so the trick is keeping them upright and from "walking off"......

Classic

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   1   0
    Aug 28, 2011
    Madison County
    Bolt it to the wall and just fill the holes when you move. A gun safe or locking cabinet without an insulating layer will not provide much in the way of fire protection. Safes are usually rated in amount of time exposed to fire, the greater the thickness and robustness of the insulating layers longer the time damage to contents is prevented.

A safe really can't stop a thief but can be used to delay one. 2 folks could easily carry a small loaded safe down stairs, particularly if they aren't worrying about a few dents and scratches to the contents. Keeping ammo in the bottom of the safe can make it much heavier and thus further delay and frustrate the potential thief.

yenningcomity

Marksman
    Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    Dec 5, 2009
    PM me and I'll give you an "inside local deal" that I know of. Anyhow, spend the money on the biggest/strongest safe you can afford and get upstairs. Tractor supply has a couple descent quality safes at better prices than other locations which will still be easily taken upstairs. I think they have a good one or two which were either 600 or 699...but the local one that I know of is more within your price range you mentioned if you don't mind a little cosmetic blemishing

I also have an apartment friendly solution to the "not being bolted down" issues which surround apartments...feel free to PM me to inquire about that as well.....my design will thoroughly prevent anyone from removing your safe and so if you get a slightly better quality one which can't be pried open with a flathead screwdriver...even that of a high dollar stack on, they will not be able to get into it. I've been lucky enough to have the opportunity to get to try to break into safes and provided you can lay it down they are relatively easy to get into...and so the trick is keeping them upright and from "walking off"......

I don't mind blemishes, but I am firm on my budget. I am a grad student and am affording this from selling off other toys as not to affect student loans. I can afford a bigger safe, but that means it will just be a little more empty. As it stands I have about 2k. I will have another 1k after I sell off another pinball machine. that is 3k to pay for guns, reloading equipment, components, safe, ltch, etc etc.

Keep in mind I have 0 guns currently and plan on buying quality over quantity. By the time I fill a 12 gun safe I will be out of grad school and if working should be able to afford something much nicer. this is a temporary solution, not a permanent one.

A safe really can't stop a thief but can be used to delay one. 2 folks could easily carry a small loaded safe down stairs, particularly if they aren't worrying about a few dents and scratches to the contents. Keeping ammo in the bottom of the safe can make it much heavier and thus further delay and frustrate the potential thief.

I agree to a point. I don't have anything in my apartment that could pry/cut a safe open. Unless a thief brings that with them, they won't be able to get in. Not all thieves use crowbars to break in. And I doubt most could crack a combination safe.

As for being able to carry it downstairs, yes they can, but it isn't easy. In the last year I have moved 18 pinball machines into and out of my apartment. They weigh 250lbs or 300 for a widebody. It takes a few minutes to move one downstairs. It also tends to wear most people out. Unless the thieves have a truck or van they cannot fit it. It also takes 2 people to move.

Determined and well prepared crooks will get in it and can probably do so in a matter of minutes. A more expensive safe "may" buy me more time, but all safes can be broken into.

Last edited:

yenningcomity

Marksman
    Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    Dec 5, 2009
    A gutted Dr. Pepper machine would make a great safe.

You would think so, but not really. I had a 4 ft high 1960's square top bottle machine. I dropped it twice carrying it up the stairs and put one small dent in on the back side the size of a nickle. Not even a scratch. They are tanks, but I can drill the lock one in under a minute. It just uses a cheap double bitted lock the same on pinball machines. Just drill through the lock until the cam falls of the back and presto you are in. It would also be very easy to pry it open from the side.

vedearduff

Marksman
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Aug 15, 2011
    Central Indiana
    You would think so, but not really. I had a 4 ft high 1960's square top bottle machine. I dropped it twice carrying it up the stairs and put one small dent in on the back side the size of a nickle. Not even a scratch. They are tanks, but I can drill the lock one in under a minute. It just uses a cheap double bitted lock the same on pinball machines. Just drill through the lock until the cam falls of the back and presto you are in. It would also be very easy to pry it open from the side.

I think the idea is that most would not think of a pop machine as a storage location for firearms.

Vernon

Kirk Freeman

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    11   0   0
    Mar 9, 2008
    Lafayette, Indiana
    When I lived in an apartment I bought an American Security Safe (3 shelf fire model) for my pistols. It was tough to get it up three floors of stairs but with an appliance mover my brother and my father did it.

AM4020_Open_Prop.jpg

Great little safe. Really served its purpose and today it sits in my home office.

yenningcomity

Marksman
    Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    Dec 5, 2009
    the1kidd03 directed me to a good deal on a cannon safe, but after considering it I cannot bring myself to buy it. It is twice the size and a better safe, but it weighs in at 400lbs. While that prevents someone from hauling it off as easily it makes it too more difficult and more dangerous to move.

To move it up the steps safely I would want an appliance dolly and three additional people. While I can arrange that to move it into place when I move out of state (and I will after college) I cannot say with certainty that I will have such help to move it in wherever I go.

While the smaller one is the same cost and half the size. At 263lbs I can safely move it empty. Once loaded I imagine it will be in the 300-325lb range, maybe more. It is still a vast improvement over nothing.

Top Bottom