Appleseed Liberty Training Rifle, couple questions.

The #1 community for Gun Owners in Indiana

Member Benefits:

• Fewer Ads!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • JByer323

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Jan 8, 2009
    Noblesville, IN
    Hey guys, I gotta couple questions about putting together a LTR. I've searched here and google, but my searchfu seems to be weak today.

Gun: 10/22, bare bones. Yay Wyatt's.

Sights: I want Tech-Sights of some sort. Do I want the regular ones (TSR100) or the ones with adjustable elevation on the rear sight (TSR200)?

Sling: Garand Sling, this baby gonna work? ----> Linky! I'll need swivels for it as well.

I'll probably end up with an extended magazine release, maybe a bolt hold open, but those aren't a problem.

Anything else, to get the rifle squared away?

Thanks guys.

NEOCON

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 21, 2008
    Warrick county
    Sounds to me like you are on the right track. I believe you want the TRS100 sights. The sling looks correct too make sure you get the 1.25" swivels and I as well as others like the Uncle Mikes quick detatch ones. They make it easier to unhook the sling from the rifle to go downrange to check your target without having to remove the sling from your arm everytime. Also you may have an extended mag release already if you bought a new 10/22, all of them that I have seen lately have the extended release from the factory. Bolt hold open can be made by filing on the stock piece if you so desire so nothing to buy there. A couple extra magazines factory stock 10 rounders would be nice too.
    You may want to take the rifle apart and remove the paint from the inside of the top of the reciever. If you go to an Appleseed and your rifle gets hot which it will the paint will peel and get on your bolt and this will cause some feeding issues.

That's about all I can think of. I don't have the tech sights on my LTR I have a scope so someone with more experience with the sights may chime in and offer some advice.

hawkhavn

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Apr 2, 2008
    SE Idaho
    JByer,

I like the extra functionality on the 200s but it is personal preference, but get a sight adjustment tool when you place your order as well.

That is a good sling and get the Uncle Mike quick detach 1.25" swivels to go with it. I don't see them on the CTD page but you might look around for them there. You want the set where both studs are wood screws. I usually get mine at Wal*Mart.

Pick up a few extra standard mags as well.

See you on the line!
    Hawkhavn

Prometheus

Master
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Jan 20, 2008
    Northern Indiana
    I found that the butlercreeks mags were a bit easier and quicker to use. But I did use the factory 10's as well.

I put in the bolt release and extd mag release which is a must IMO. While inside I put in a buffer as well. Extra 3 bucks that was well worth it.

I thought I could get away with the stock sights and my eyes paid the price. Get the TSR100's

After that you're all set!

JByer323

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Jan 8, 2009
    Noblesville, IN
    One more questions for you guys.

I'm getting different opinions on the swivel studs. Some people say get the ones with the wood screws, others are saying get the Uncle Mike's 115 B set, which is a machine screw with nut and a wood screw. I'm pretty handy, but I'm having trouble visualizing how the machine screw and nut would install (it's for the forend), and none of my other rifles have studs for me to check out.

Suggestions?

I installed the Tech-Sights pretty much the moment they came in the mail today, and they are sweet, and an easy install. Also went to town with the Dremel, and now I've got my very own bolt hold open that works perfectly.

Thanks for all the help guys, still not totally sure what Appleseed shoots (yeah, multiple) I'm gonna be able to get to, but I'm excited.

10 round Ruger mags and Midway's shooting mats are both on sale right now.

ATM

will argue for sammiches.
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    30   0   0
    Jul 29, 2008
    Crawfordsville
    I'm getting the wood screws but maybe the machine screw is for mounting to a barrel band (mine doesn't have one.):dunno:

Ordered TSR200 Tech sights as well.

LTR is almost complete.:)

JByer323

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Jan 8, 2009
    Noblesville, IN
    I think that's the way I'm gonna go as well, but all the write ups I see mention the 115 B set. Mine does have the barrel band.

Tech-Sights took longer to find the brass punch then they did to install, just toss a little Locktite on the screws and you're good to go.

Prometheus

Master
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Jan 20, 2008
    Northern Indiana
    One more questions for you guys.

I'm getting different opinions on the swivel studs. Some people say get the ones with the wood screws, others are saying get the Uncle Mike's 115 B set, which is a machine screw with nut and a wood screw. I'm pretty handy, but I'm having trouble visualizing how the machine screw and nut would install (it's for the forend), and none of my other rifles have studs for me to check out.

Suggestions?

I installed the Tech-Sights pretty much the moment they came in the mail today, and they are sweet, and an easy install. Also went to town with the Dremel, and now I've got my very own bolt hold open that works perfectly.

Thanks for all the help guys, still not totally sure what Appleseed shoots (yeah, multiple) I'm gonna be able to get to, but I'm excited.

10 round Ruger mags and Midway's shooting mats are both on sale right now.
    I got the midway mat when it was 1/2 price. Great purchase and well worth it at that price.

I bought a swivel set that was meant to screw into the wood and then screw/nut on the barrel band. I did the barrel band and then just attached a wrap around thing off a tactical sling for the rear rather than drill.

Still have the wood screw. One of these days I suppose, lol

Top Bottom