• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • LP1

Master
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Sep 8, 2010
    Friday Town
    Probably right. Most people don't pay attention anyway.

You would be surprised at how often people notice what's on a t-shirt. When away from work, I often wear t-shirts that represent various non-firearms interests, and I frequently get asked what the shirt is about. Just happened yesterday.

And I never wear anything firearms-related or political.

People DO notice how you dress - how you choose to play into that is up to you, but don't complain if you don't like the result.

JollyMon

Shooter
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Sep 27, 2012
    Westfield, IN
    Well how you dress all depends on the context that you will be in....

If you are going to a business meeting, Crye multicam g3 combat pants might not be the best option.

If you are heading to the NRA convention, fitting in would be wearing a hat that allows you to attach moral patches, Cargo pants of 5.11 or LAPG variety, A cool little tshirt that has a gun saying on it (bacon/molon labe/2nd power), etc etc... You would be out of place if you had on skinny jeans and "feel the bern" tshirt.

seedubs1

Master
    Rating - 100%
    24   0   0
    Jan 17, 2013
    It was so doused in purple, the purple ran off :popcorn:

But seriously.....grown men wearing cargo pants.....I pretend they're all going to an audition for the next Jurasic Park movie.

Hopefully, this is sarcasm. At least that's how I'm taking it. If not, then wow.

cooltools

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Feb 20, 2012
    I like the vest anyways and a high ride holster. Normally a model 66 wheel gun.

Situational awareness lacks a is in most people.

For decades I have been wearing what my kids call " old man vest " but now I guess it's called the " shoot me first vest ". Oh well, it's comfortable and does a great job in concealing my H&K USP sub-compact .45 in my blackhawk serpa level 3 holster.

Old Prof

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jul 8, 2015
    West Lafayette
    Living in the district of Woeste (which interestingly, my computer suggests I spell "Testes") and having too many friends of my wife's and parents of my son's friends that are religiously anti-gun, I've decided I've got better things to do than pick arguments with them that won't change their minds. So I go low-key with the NRA/gun stuff about town. I keep my man card by pretending I am being tactically stealthy, not wimpy. :-)

DRob

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    21   0   0
    Aug 2, 2008
    Southside of Indy
    I dress the way I want to dress.

Yeah. And so can you! But, if you are dressing to make a statement, you should be prepared to field comments both positive and negative. Also phrased as "if you can't take the heat, stay out of the kitchen!"

IMO, spending extra money for any item of clothing marketed as "tactical" is ridiculous unless it's a job requirement. Then it's only silly but maybe not your fault!

As you may guess, I don't wear any NRA stuff and don't have any gun related stickers on my truck.

MohawkSlim

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Mar 11, 2015
    firing line
    Since I have a beard I just assume everyone knows I also have a gun.

Seriously, the only people who notice or care about this sort of thing are us. WE see each other. WE notice who has the "shoot me" vest on. WE notice the cargo pants or the boots or the clip on the pocket. WE see the abnormal bump around the waist. Nobody else sees any of that. And it's not that big a deal. WE make a big deal of it and it's silly for us to do so.

When you talk to stick up kids, local thugs, etc., they evaluate their potential victims and they may say things like, "That old dude had a Glock hat on. I aint f*@#in with him." but they're way more likely to say something like, "He had that look in his eye like he was scared so I knew I could get him." You're more likely to get jacked if you look soft than you are if you look like a hard target.

This is just the watered down version of the OC/CC debate. "Do you look like you carry?" I cringe when I hear, "Well, you're going to get shot first." because being a hard target works 99% of the time. And dare I say it.... if you're getting attacked by someone willing to attack people they know are armed... you're probably already outgunned or they have the drop on you way in advance. (And here's where you come back with, "Well, I'm going to surprise the attcker!" Sure. I believe you.)

Kirk Freeman

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    11   0   0
    Mar 9, 2008
    Lafayette, Indiana

Yes, but a grown man dressing like the Bee Girl from Blind Melon and wandering the streets of downtown Lafayette is just . . . disconcerting.

BlindMelonBlindMelon.jpg

KellyinAvon

Blue-ID Mafia Consigliere
    Staff member
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    Dec 22, 2012
    Avon
    Significant responsibility comes with carrying a handgun. Maintaining situational awareness is one of the responsibilities. I dress appropriately for a 50-something male (coincidentally I am a 50-something male) so that makes concealing a handgun much easier. I wear USAF related hats, I doubt any bad guys would think much of it one way or the other. My INGO hat gets some wear, I doubt most people know what the GO stands for (isn't that the bus line in Indy??) I do wear my NRA hat sometimes, there are 5 million of us after all.

Cygnus

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Apr 24, 2009
    New England
    Cargo pants are never acceptable ADULT fashion. If you're carrying a handgun, hopefully you're an adult?

Cargo pants are fine for being practical when you need to tactical mall ninja, or if you're bushwhacking your way through the amazon rainforest as a mercenary.

They're also fine if you're 12 and need an extra pocket to store your GI Joe action figure.

But make no mistake about it.....Cargo pants have no place on an adult that's not doing some sort of manual labor at that time.

Hopefully, this is sarcasm. At least that's how I'm taking it. If not, then wow.

It was so doused in purple, the purple ran off :popcorn:

But seriously.....grown men wearing cargo pants.....I pretend they're all going to an audition for the next Jurasic Park movie.

Who woulda thunk we actually have fashion police here on INGO? :):

Wow! And I was going to get my first pair of cargo shorts for this summer. You see OC will get me arrested AND shot where I live.
    No cargo shorts eh? I gues that means I am stuck with "dark soul" jean shorts again for hiking and city walks? Dang!

JettaKnight

Я з Україною
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Oct 13, 2010
    Fort Wayne
    ...Your cargo pants. You seen these pants? That's too many pockets...

[video=youtube;Dh2rHsxYh6U]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Dh2rHsxYh6U[/video]

stephen87

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    22   0   0
    May 26, 2010
    The Seven Seas
    Everyday that I work, which is everyday, I wear cargo pants and a polo.

Everyday that I'm off, which is a rarity, I wear cargo pants and a tshirt, while OCing a Glock 19 in a Blackhawk Serpa.

Leadeye

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Jan 19, 2009
    Out in the woods, it's pants, shirt and hat. Something that will hold permethrin which is important here in tick-a-minute land.

Top Bottom