• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Steeltoe546

Plinker
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Dec 31, 2012
    Castleton
    I'd like some input from either LEO's on here or anyone that can help. I love my recently purchased M&P 9 but that trigger is the only draw back. I've read about the APEX trigger kit you can put in it. The question is would this hurt me in court if i ever had to use it in self defense like having a lightened trigger would because it's been modified. PLEASE HELP.

chezuki

Human
    Rating - 100%
    50   0   0
    Mar 18, 2009
    Behind Bars
    :popcorn:

A good shoot is a good shoot regardless of trigger weight.
    A bad shoot is a bad shoot regardless of trigger weight.

If you unintentionally shoot someone out of negligence (finger on trigger when it shouldn't be), the result is the same regardless of trigger weight.

IMO, it is much easier to be precise with a lighter trigger (2.5-3lbs). I know heavier triggers can be mastered, but you are still far more likely to push the shot under stress with a heavy trigger than a light one.

From this thread:

https://www.indianagunowners.com/forums/handguns/337991-how-can-trigger-too-light-sd.html

And not all the Apex upgrades reduce the trigger weight.

Here's a break down of Apex upgrades:

DCAEK-"Duty/Carry Action Enhancement Kit"= utimate striker block w/spring (removes grit and smooths pull), hard sear w/spring (removes over travel, lowers pull weight, and slightly improves reset), duty/carry trigger return spring (raises trigger pull back up some to meet duty standards)

CompAEK-"Competetion Action Enhancement Kit"= utimate striker block w/spring (removes grit and smooths pull), hard sear w/spring (removes over travel, lowers pull weight, and slightly improves reset), lighter comp trigger return spring (further reduces pull), and comp striker spring (also reduces pull weight).

The Aluminum AEK trigger was designed to replace the stock hinged trigger if desired and can be used in conjunction with any combination of factory parts or the above kits but is not to be confused with the FSS which outwardly looks very similar.

RAM- "Reset Assist Mechanism"= an optional kit that "improves" tactile/audible trigger reset. If you are prefer a "Glockish" trigger, this will make you feel right at home. Coming from a Glock myself, I planned on installing one but never got around to it. After getting used to the platform, I no longer think the RAM is necessary.

FSS- "Front Set Sear"= completely different trigger group, springs and sear than and not compatable with the others. Totally changes the geometry of the pull and moves the break point much further forward with very little pre or over travel. Feels almost like a single action trigger. These are available in aluminum, or polymer and priced accordingly.

Hope this helps.

VERT

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    23   0   0
    Jan 4, 2009
    Seymour
    I keep reading your posts about the M&P trigger chez. I have a Pro Series gun at home that needs something done to it. I appreciate the summary of mods.

EdC

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    8   0   0
    Aug 12, 2008
    Speedway, IN
    I put the DCAEK in mine, and I'm very happy with it. Smoother and shorter pull, cleaner break, no phantom reset. Trigger weight doesn't change very much if you install the spring that comes with the kit. I'm not worried about this type of improvement coming back to hurt me in court in a self defense situation, should it get that far.

vitamink

Master
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    46   0   0
    Mar 19, 2010
    INDY
    Anything is likely to raise suspicion but i would guess no. Deadly force is deadly force whether you shoot someone, club them with a brick or hit them with your car. As long as everything is on the up and up you have nothing to worry about. Here in Marion county there have been convicted violent felons who have gone for their "girlfriend's gun" in order to repel a home invasion robbery (see also: I deal drugs and they want my drugs/money). Even though he shot the intruders, and by all accounts shouldn't even be allowed to look at a gun on the internet, nothing negative happened to him. IANAL but only if UANAL

Also i have a DCAEK in all of my M&Ps. I personally like the new polymer trigger as much as the aluminum and it's cheaper.

chezuki

Human
    Rating - 100%
    50   0   0
    Mar 18, 2009
    Behind Bars
    IANAL but only if UANAL

spittake01.gif

X piller X

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Jan 3, 2014
    Indy
    I love my M&p as well, At first the trigger wasnt the greatest, but it was at least manageable. After putting hundreds of rounds down it, and loosening it up, it feels much smoother and better.

I'd still like to get my hands on the apex kit though. At least the ffs. I don't like how far back the trigger breaks

RobbyMaQ

#BarnWoodStrong
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    35   0   0
    Mar 26, 2012
    Lizton
    I put a duty kit in my full size. The striker block smooths out the grit (but as mentioned earlier, this happens over time anyways). The duty kit trigger spring adds weight to the pull, so I ultimately went back to the stock trigger spring (leaving everything else apex), which winds up slightly less pull than stock (due to the new sear & sear spring).
    Having said all of that? I have a compact (EDC) I run barebones stock... having 4 M&P's now, I find I am not as picky on the trigger any longer, and shoot the compact EDC just fine.

I have shot an aluminum trigger. They are much nicer than the trigger kits IMO. YMMV.

rbMPSH12

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Nov 29, 2012
    I haven't and probably won't put anything in my M&P9. Sure, the stock trigger could be improved, but I've found it to be fine for me. I'm not too picky. The newer stock triggers are better than the older ones.

Exodus

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Jun 29, 2011
    SWI
    Unless your going to put the FSS in how is anyone going to know you modified the gun if you had to shoot? And the DCAEK is made for carry/DUTY so it's legal for cops to do it but not you?

chezuki

Human
    Rating - 100%
    50   0   0
    Mar 18, 2009
    Behind Bars
    Unless your going to put the FSS in how is anyone going to know you modified the gun if you had to shoot? And the DCAEK is made for carry/DUTY so it's legal for cops to do it but not you?

While I don't disagree with your principle, most departments don't allow ANY trigger modifications regardless of the manufacturers marketing terminology.

NIFT

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jul 3, 2009
    Fort Wayne, Indiana
    For those considering the RAM (Reset Assist Mechanism), you must have the M&P model with the internal lock capability and plug in the hole. The RAM will not work in models without such.

ViperJock

Master
    Rating - 100%
    10   0   0
    Feb 28, 2011
    Fort Wayne-ish
    I have had both the Apex kit and a trigger job by Bowie Tactical. I prefer the trigger job--it's a cleaner break. Price is basically the same especially if you are gonna pay someone to out the apex in for you.

Top Bottom