• View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • subtlesixer03

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    39   0   0
    Apr 22, 2010
    I know if you take a shotgun that has never had a stock on it and shorten the barrel it can become an aow. how about a rifle? can you remove the stock from a rifle and make it an aow or does it have to be a pistol or unstocked receiver first?:dunno:

ryknoll3

Master
    Rating - 75%
    3   1   0
    Sep 7, 2009
    Also, one of the classifications of an AOW is a smooth-bore pistol that fires a shotgun shell, which a short-barrel shotgun that never had a stock basically is. If it has a rifled bore, it can not be an AOW (unless it also has a smooth bore, eg. combination guns)

If you take a rifle that never had buttstock on it and put a short barrel on it, you've made a pistol. If you take a rifle that has a buttstock on it and put a short barrel on it, you've made an SBR. If you take a rifle that had a buttstock, cut it off and put a short barrel on it, you've STILL made an SBR.

If you do the same as above with a shotgun, you've made an AOW and an SBS respectively.

Slow Hand

Master
    Rating - 99.4%
    153   1   0
    Aug 27, 2008
    West Side
    Not positive on this one. If you take (for example) a Kel Tec PLR (.223 pistol version of the SU-16) and put a vertical foregrip on it, I thought it became an unregistered AOW. I"m nearly positive I've read this in several places. I guess it makes a difference if there are states out there who allow AOW's but not SBR's, like IN doesn't allow SBS's.

Doug K

Also, one of the classifications of an AOW is a smooth-bore pistol that fires a shotgun shell, which a short-barrel shotgun that never had a stock basically is. If it has a rifled bore, it can not be an AOW (unless it also has a smooth bore, eg. combination guns)

If you take a rifle that never had buttstock on it and put a short barrel on it, you've made a pistol. If you take a rifle that has a buttstock on it and put a short barrel on it, you've made an SBR. If you take a rifle that had a buttstock, cut it off and put a short barrel on it, you've STILL made an SBR.

If you do the same as above with a shotgun, you've made an AOW and an SBS respectively.

hotrodtba

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    21   0   0
    Jun 4, 2008
    Ossian
    Not positive on this one. If you take (for example) a Kel Tec PLR (.223 pistol version of the SU-16) and put a vertical foregrip on it, I thought it became an unregistered AOW. I"m nearly positive I've read this in several places. I guess it makes a difference if there are states out there who allow AOW's but not SBR's, like IN doesn't allow SBS's.

Doug K

Correct.

chuckp

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Nov 22, 2009
    Central IN
    I know if you take a shotgun that has never had a stock on it and shorten the barrel it can become an aow. how about a rifle? can you remove the stock from a rifle and make it an aow or does it have to be a pistol or unstocked receiver first?:dunno:
    sbr

Your first sentence is false. To take a shotgun, which by definition has OAL of at least 26" even without a stock and then try to register as an AOW would be denied by ATF. You can not shorten a shotgun and make an AOW. You must start with a virgin receiver in the first place and pay the making tax to make an AOW and then add the barrel that you want.

You can make a SBR out of a rifle and remove the stock and shorten the barrel and resemble a pistol. There are no OAL limits on SBR.

Just my 2 cents.

chuck

vf-202

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jul 20, 2010
    OAL i am assuming is over all length
    AOW what does that mean?
    SBR I know is a Short Barreled Rifle

VUPDblue

Silencers Have NEVER Been Illegal !
    Rating - 100%
    25   0   1
    Mar 20, 2008
    Franklin Township
    sbr

Your first sentence is false. To take a shotgun, which by definition has OAL of at least 26" even without a stock and then try to register as an AOW would be denied by ATF. You can not shorten a shotgun and make an AOW. You must start with a virgin receiver in the first place and pay the making tax to make an AOW and then add the barrel that you want.

Just my 2 cents.

chuck

You sure can make an AOW out of a "shotgun" as long as the donor gun was shipped from the factory in a pistol grip only configuration. Heck, that's what Serbu and Safety Harbor are doing right now since Remington stopped distributing virgin receivers. They are both building their 7" AOWs out of Express Magnum pistol grip only donor guns...I just got one from SH. I guess the legalese that makes this so is that the PG only guns from the factory are not legally "shotguns" because they are not shoulder-fired and they transfer as a handgun on the 4473. :twocents:

Top Bottom