• View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • jworm1420

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    42   0   0
    Feb 25, 2012
    they're sweet looking guns. thats about all i know about them. i have a taurus 92, and beretta is supposed to be that much better, obviously. i like my taurus even though i know some people dislike them for whatever reason.

isius

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Dec 7, 2011
    Fort Wayne
    I've not read a single "don't buy one, you'll regret it" post. So I'm definitely in the market now. Now I just need to find someone selling. ;)

rvb

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Jan 14, 2009
    IN (a refugee from MD)
    The only issue it ever had, and this was just a couple of years ago, was the recoil spring guide rod developed a bend. After 18 plus years and untold thousands of rounds fired I personally do not consider this a fault. I had replaced the recoil spring every 5000 or so rounds as a preventative maintenance practice. During the course of a complete strip down and cleaning the bend was noticed. It was not extremely bent, just barely noticeable. I replaced the factory guide rod with a Wolff's steel one and do not expect to bend that any time soon.

I know some of the newer versions of this pistol use a polymer guide rod and if I was ever to pick up one of these I would replace it with the Wolff Steel Guide Rod.

This (in addition to the cost savings, I'm sure) is why they went to plastic. The New guide rod can get flexed and spring back into shape vs possibly locking the gun up. And it is now one piece. Often, the Factory metal Rod would fail because the pin that holds the head on would break. I shot 92s in uspsa for years and considered the plastic rod a positive. Certainly, if you replae it for steel, make sure it is One piece.

-rvb

SyntorX

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jul 13, 2012
    Southern Indiana
    Have you considered the Taurus PT92? It seems like a very nice gun.

The extent of my Beretta ownership is with a Beretta Minx 22 short. I did look at the Beretta 96 for a while which has THE smooothest slide action I have EVER felt...It will probably be my next gun. From all I have read, you really can't go wrong with a Beretta. But, the PT92 has some nice features.

Jrhemming

Plinker
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Mar 18, 2012
    Kokomo
    My first handgun I bought was a Beretta 96 ( same as the 92 but in .40) it was a nice gun never had any failures with it but it was big and chunky in my hand. If it fits you good get it and shoot the crap out of it they are fine guns

dljx3

Plinker
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    May 26, 2010
    I have a 92FS. It is my personal favorite as a shooter. Fits me extraordinarily well. It is heavy, so it may get tiresome to carry all day long. But if you want to hit what you aiming at time and time again, I really recommend it.

9mmfan

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Apr 26, 2011
    Mishawaka
    I have a 92 FS that I bought over 20 years ago. It was my fist gun purchase and I still shoot it. It's weight and my age have since relegated it to a range only gun, but it is a blast to shoot. For a combat gun, it is darn accurate.

Fourtrax

Marksman
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Feb 24, 2011
    Recently one was used to win a National USPSA production championship. Not sure what model Ben runs though.

Leo

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    30   0   0
    Mar 3, 2011
    Lafayette, IN
    I had three before I moved to Texas, and have two more now. (mmm and .40 are both great. The recoil is gentle and smooth, They are rock solid dependable. I make it a habit to replace the recoil springs annually. The Army Marksmanship unit puts in two pound heavier recoil springs. They say it minimizes any variance in the lock up to enhance accuracy. The good folks at Wolff spring glady make them, and I have used them for years with no trouble. Heavy loads, light loads, factory, handloads, no problems. Good Luck

Top Bottom