• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • isius

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Dec 7, 2011
    Fort Wayne
    Just started looking at getting a 9mm Beretta, (92,M9A1,others?). My question is, is there anything I should know about Beretta's specifically? For example, I know 1911's are prone to get "idiot scratches" if not careful.

Also, I started looking through this list of models and the details are a bit lost on me. Any tips on model differences?

Thanks

Last edited:

JWAS

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    10   0   0
    Aug 22, 2011
    Dayton
    I looked into Berettas briefly (ended up with a CZ shadow) and the only thing I will say is make sure you dont get a DAO model, aside from that the only ones ive seen are just the regular 92s, the M9a1s, a few with rails, and a few elites and brigadiers. the elites and brigadiers are nice, but even just the regular 92s have a very nice SA trigger. Plus you can change out one of the springs for one used for the DAO models so the DA pull will be very nice as well as the already very nice SA trigger. Others could explain that more.

WJB63

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jul 8, 2012
    Lafayette area
    I have owned a 92F for many years and love it. It was the first handgun I purchased. I had inherited several different types and models but when this came out I just had to have one!

The only issue it ever had, and this was just a couple of years ago, was the recoil spring guide rod developed a bend. After 18 plus years and untold thousands of rounds fired I personally do not consider this a fault. I had replaced the recoil spring every 5000 or so rounds as a preventative maintenance practice. During the course of a complete strip down and cleaning the bend was noticed. It was not extremely bent, just barely noticeable. I replaced the factory guide rod with a Wolff's steel one and do not expect to bend that any time soon.

I know some of the newer versions of this pistol use a polymer guide rod and if I was ever to pick up one of these I would replace it with the Wolff Steel Guide Rod.

indykid

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Jan 27, 2008
    Westfield
    The Beretta series is the AK of the pistol world.

First I will address how they look, and if you are afraid of scratching up a pistol, I take it you will never holster one. The 92 series is prone to losing the finish on the high spots at the front of the pistol from holstering and unholstering. While the proprietary Bruniton finish is nice looking, it isn't the hardest or best lasting, but in a service pistol that is virtually 100% reliable, very accurate and easy to take apart to clean, so what.

The so what is the "Inox" series, Italian for stainless, but again the frames are aluminum and anodized so you can damage the finish of them too.

At the start I stated that the 92 series was the AK of the pistol world. They are built such that if you were to take two dozen, totally disassemble them and throw the parts into a single box, it would not matter that when you rebuilt them, no two parts might be from the same pistol, but you can be assured that the completed Beretta would be reliable for carry and just as accurate as before you mixed and didn't match.

I have one that I call a Franken-92 because I built it using parts from at least 8 donor pistols, new parts from Beretta factory, reproduction parts from CDNN and a couple from I don't remember, and it has been 100% reliable, and so accurate that a relative of mine who is in the Air Force and trains with the M9 (Identical to the 92FS except markings) and at 25 yards was taking out the center of the target, and labeled the pistol boring!

As for model differences, these days Beretta is trying to be something for everyone. Want the military look-a-like, get the M9. The civilian version of the standard 92 Series is the 92FS, then if you don't want the finger groove on the trigger guard, they have the 92A-1. Want a light mount, they have the 92FS Type M9A1.

Other than markings, Beretta has tried to make the Italian versus US made a non-issue, and for all intent and purposes, they have.

The 92D is double action only, no safety.
    92FS is the root of the tree in double/single action with safety and decocker.
    92G is decock only, no safety.

There are over 90 variations of the 92 series, from the original 92, the 92S, 92SB, 92F, 92FS, 92G, 92D that I could right pages and not list the diffences other to say that some were "limited editions" which Beretta loves to do.

Hope the above gives you an idea into the fun world of the 92 Series

isius

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Dec 7, 2011
    Fort Wayne
    So much good info! This is exactly why I get so much out of these forums. Thanks. I'm heading to the local shops to see if they have any I can pet.

@JWAS I have noticed CZ mentioned with Beretta posts. Maybe I'll pick one of those up too.

@indykid I only mentioned the scratch as an example. Personally, I think some wear adds a certain... quality, and am not shy of some character markings. Thanks for the comprehensive info. Very helpful.

Kagnew

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Dec 30, 2009
    Columbus
    Just be very careful if you tend to have an addictive personality. My commercial M9 led to an 85FS which led to a 3032 Tomcat which led to a 70S (in .380) which led to a Model 1934 which led to an 84BB which led to ?????? :rockwoot:

isius

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Dec 7, 2011
    Fort Wayne
    Just be very careful if you tend to have an addictive personality. My commercial M9 led to an 85FS which led to a 3032 Tomcat which led to a 70S (in .380) which led to a Model 1934 which led to an 84BB which led to ?????? :rockwoot:

Ha, that's quite a run. A '34 looks pretty cool for a compact.

venenoindy

Master
    Rating - 100%
    73   0   0
    Jul 14, 2009
    Noblesville
    I had a Beretta 92 Inox in the past and did not had any issues, the DA trigger is quite heavy but the SA trigger is really nice. Overall is a great handgun just a little bulky but I would buy an other.

rw496

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    Nov 16, 2011
    Lake County
    Just started looking at getting a 9mm Beretta, (92,M9A1,others?). My question is, is there anything I should know about Beretta's specifically? For example, I know 1911's are prone to get "idiot scratches" if not careful.

Also, I started looking through this list of models and the details are a bit lost on me. Any tips on model differences?

Thanks
    Jet Li could take the slide off and disarm you before you could pull the trigger

rnmcguire

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Feb 3, 2011
    Plainfield, IN
    What you need to know is Beretta has been making some of the worlds finest firearms for nearly 500 years and is still owned by the same family. Beretta is the oldest gun maker still in business so they must be doing something right. I love the 92 series pistols and they'll last forever if taken care of. They're a little big for everyday carry but great for home defense or a range gun. They make alot of different guns and I don't think you'll go wrong with any of them. There are alot of used Beretta's around so you can probably pick up a nice one for alot less money than new.:twocents:

IndyDave1776

Grandmaster
    Emeritus
    Rating - 100%
    12   0   0
    Jan 12, 2012

I suppose The Farmer in the Dell was your favorite nursery rhyme as a child?

No Time to Shoot

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Mar 16, 2009
    Fort Wayne
    I bought a 92fs off an employee that needed some cash a year later I finally shot it. What an awesome gun flawless even my wife liked it...which says a lot. She liked it so much I bought her an 85fs .380. That ended up being the nicest compact. 380 Ive ever shot but she dosent like it. To bulky for her purse lol. Great guns and they multiply!

isius

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Dec 7, 2011
    Fort Wayne
    Jet Li could take the slide off and disarm you before you could pull the trigger

Ha, I saw that. But if I'm pointing a gun at Jet Li, I'm not sure anything else would do much better. :):

@rnmcguire It's not intended for carry. Just a range gun, like you said.

Kory

Plinker
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Jan 13, 2012
    I love my 96fs. If you can get one then you can get a 92 slide and barrel. 40 for power 9 for practice.

Top Bottom