• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • sig1473

Master
    Rating - 100%
    101   0   0
    May 28, 2009
    The Greater Good
    I had 2 HK P2000sks with one chambered in 40 and 9. The 9mm held 10rds, while the 40 held 9rds. There was no noticeable recoil difference between the two. If the 40 has too much snap for you, maybe you should hit the gym;) My everyday carry is the Glock 27 as of right now, but my personal preference is the 357Sig which hands down is the best shooting round I have encountered. I don't mind it being a little more expensive as it makes itself readily available when I need to buy it.

seedubs1

Master
    Rating - 100%
    24   0   0
    Jan 17, 2013
    I like the ability to shoot through barriers and retain enough usable energy on the other side. So 9mm is ruled out.

All my handguns (except my .22lr plinker) are .40. One day I'll have a 1911, but that's just for ****s and giggles. My carry and duty guns will remain .40.

jcap412

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Sep 7, 2010
    Greenwood,IN
    Thanks for all the great advice everyone, I greatly appreciate it. After ingesting all that and some other reading, at least for now I'll probably stick with my 9. Cost of ammo, and availability is more of a temporary concern right now. I will say that more the likely I will just end up with more guns!:D
    I see at least one more full size 9 in my future, and probably a 1911 because well everyone should have one. its doubtful I would carry either of those though you never know. Y'all have given me much to think about, so thanks again! Just gotta wait for inventory to show up now.

AD Marc

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Aug 8, 2012
    I like the ability to shoot through barriers and retain enough usable energy on the other side. So 9mm is ruled out.

Not really.

Here's a penetration depth comparison of two Federal HST loads, the 147gr 9mm, the 165gr 40, and the 230gr 45 fired through intermediate barriers into ballistics gelatin. This comes directly from ATK.

Bare Gelatin
    9: 12"
    40: 12"
    45: 12"

Heavy Clothing
    9: 12.5"
    40: 12.5"
    45: 13.5"

Steel
    9: 17.5"
    40: 17"
    45: 17.5"

Wall Board
    9: 13.25"
    40: 10.5"

Pywood
    9: 15"
    40: 13.5"

Safety Glass
    9: 11"
    45: 10.5"

Don't know what to tell you, my friend, but those are the real numbers. Not much of a difference. Similar results with Speer Gold. All of them get the job done, it just seems to me that the 9 gives you more opportunities to get the job done before you have to take remedial action.

Last edited:

BehindBlueI's

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    29   0   0
    Oct 3, 2012
    Not really.

Here's a penetration depth comparison of two Federal HST loads, the 147gr 9mm and the 165gr 40, fired through intermediate barriers into ballistics gelatin. This comes directly from ATK.

Bare Gelatin
    9: 12"
    40: 12"

Heavy Clothing
    9: 12.5"
    40: 12.5"

Steel
    9: 17.5"
    40: 17"

Wall Board
    9: 13.25"

Pywood
    9: 15"
    40: 13.5"

Safety Glass
    9: 11"

Don't know what to tell you, my friend, but those are the real numbers. Not much of a difference. Both get the job done. Similar results with Speer Gold Dots.

Lab results are fine, but real world results don't always equate to the ideal set up they use to get such impressive numbers. Much like the "box of truth" were they put the "walls" within inches of each other and then say it would have penetrated though "X" number of rooms, distances and times for bullets to destabilize and fragment are important aspects of tests often overlooked, as are angles. Any bullet is going to perform better going straight into the intermediate barrier at a right angle to the surface as opposed to having to go through the curvature of a windshield or catching the glass at an angle.

I've seen plenty of handgun bullets fired into cars through the doors, through the glass, etc. While not 9mm specific, light/fast bullets perform worse than heavy slow ones. Light/fast fragments earlier, destabilizes faster, is more easily deflected, and retains less weight/penetration afterward than heavy/slow. Real world observations and simply physics. Force is velocity times mass. Lighter bullets need more velocity to maintain high force, anything that slows them down will have a disproportionate affect compared to a heavier bullet, which can rely more on mass. Shedding the same amount of weight will also disproportionately affect lighter bullets, as its a higher percentage of their total mass.

Does it matter? Yes. Its much better for your skull to take a peppering of smaller fragments than it is to take one big slug. Its much easier to hit your target when your round is deflected at a smaller angle after going through glass.

How much does it matter? Depends on how lucky you are. If it makes a difference one time in a hundred, are you the 1%?

BE Mike

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    18   0   0
    Jul 23, 2008
    New Albany
    Thanks for all the great advice everyone, I greatly appreciate it. After ingesting all that and some other reading, at least for now I'll probably stick with my 9. Cost of ammo, and availability is more of a temporary concern right now. I will say that more the likely I will just end up with more guns!:D
    I see at least one more full size 9 in my future, and probably a 1911 because well everyone should have one. its doubtful I would carry either of those though you never know. Y'all have given me much to think about, so thanks again! Just gotta wait for inventory to show up now.
    You will also need to put a double-action .357 mag. revolver on that list, because, well as you said, everyone should have one.:)

BE Mike

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    18   0   0
    Jul 23, 2008
    New Albany
    You will also need to put a double-action .357 mag. revolver on that list, because, well as you said, everyone should have one.:)

Top Bottom