• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • 451_Detonics

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Mar 28, 2010
    North Central Indiana
    The biggest advantage is speed. With just a bit of practice your eye will automatically center the front sight in the aperture. All you need do is place the front sight on the target and squeeze. I use them on my ARs, M1 Carbine, Bolt rifles in the past, and my 71 in 450 Alaskan wears them.

4503-1.jpg

geronimojoe85

Master
    Rating - 100%
    26   0   0
    Nov 16, 2009
    I think it's easier to shoot better with peep sights. You can see more of the target.
    Looking through the rear aperture you focus on the front sight and your eye naturally centers it giving you a proper sight picture faster.
    And most (either military or aftermarket) have more adjustment and more solid adjustment for zeroing.

LarryHoosier

Marksman
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    May 22, 2011
    I have peep sights on several different rifles and for old eyes they are very helpful! Open sights tend to blur front and rear sights into a singular blurry mass to the chronologically challenged. If you see me at the range I will have my patented dayglo orange front sight (a trade secret) on pistols and any open sighted long gun. My favorite peep setup is a Redfield peep with tube front sight (with changeable inserts) on my Remington 511T 22LR target gun.:twocents:

Leo

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    30   0   0
    Mar 3, 2011
    Lafayette, IN
    A peep sight is a major advantage in accuracy due to the fact that the sight radius is much longer, many times twice as long. This means a sight picture may have only 1/2 the error to perfect alignment with no other optical aid.

I think what the above poster said about what he called "double peeps" is a globe front sight with a round ring aperature. By centering the round aiming black dot in the front aperature hole, and centering the front sight ring in the rear peep, you can shoot at a target very accurately. The problem with this set up is that the front aperature ring, as well as the front sight tubular body, blocks most of the picture of other things you are aiming at (like a deer)

When I shot PALMA and long range matches at Camp Perry, all but one match was restricted to metallic sights. I ran a Zelenek 1/4 moa rear peep sight with an adjustable iris Walther rear eyepiece. On the front I used a Tompkins front globe body with an adjustable Gehman front aperature. (yes you added correctly, my peep sights were over $800, a Warner rear sight would have been $250 more) My 1000 yard average was 196/200 with peep sights. My average with a scope was 196/200. A target situation always has the good contrast of a black aiming circle on a buff background. You only have to watch your single target, that is always on the same target station. Limited field of view is not problem.

In a hunting (or combat) situation, the contrast is not so perfect, and the target may be moving. You need to see more of the field if view, so a simple blade front sight allows a lot more visiblity. Of course a scope gives you the best contrast in poor light, but few allow enough elevation adjustment to use across the course (200-300-600 yards and at 1000) in a target situation where a perfect zero is desired. Some of the old Unertle exterior adjustment scopes could, but I haven't seen one of those in 30 years.

Pick your sights and have fun shooting

Last edited:

Lancem

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    May 21, 2011
    North of Ft Wayne
    Why not? Do you mean the double peep?

It's just that, a peep on the rear with a peep on the front, so you are actually looking through two holes. Typically with target work you have the hole in the front site sized so that it will just ghost ring a bullseye target. So if you look through the rear and only see a perfect ghost ring of white with the bullseye in the middle you should punch an X.

kludge

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Mar 13, 2008
    Another advantage of peep sights is that the small aperture acts like a pinhole camera... everything is in focus...

OK that's theory, but in practice it's close. Also it helps me shoot without corrective lenses. I have a slight astigmatism (+1.0) and a small aperture on a target sight means the light doens't hit the part of my cornea that is distorted, giving me clearer vision. When I use a scope with fine target crosshairs I see a double image or "halo".

bobzilla

Mod in training (in my own mind)
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Nov 1, 2010
    Brownswhitanon.
    I have them on the Mossberg US44(b). Great tack driver unless it's dusk. As the light gets low, you can't see ****. I typically flip the rear site and "eyeball it" when we're skunk hunting.

Top Bottom