• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • warangelcometh

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    27   0   0
    Sep 6, 2009
    NWI
    Saw some cool footage on YouTube about a DIY camo kit that looks really easy. It's a film that you dip your gun into with water. Goes by the name Mydipkit.com . Has anyone used this technique ? How well does it hold up ? Compared to something like Duracoat ?
    Thanks for any input.

geno2k

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Apr 23, 2011
    I used that very kit to do up my 835 for turkey season. Did it work? absolutely. Was it as easy as the vids make it out to be? Yes, after you get the hang of it. You still have to break down the gun and scuff the pieces, used steel wool on the metal parts and sanded the wood with a vibratory sander(didn't get into the checkering so we will see if that comes back to haunt next time I turkey/duck hunt in the rain). Then prime and paint in a base coat. The base coat forms the open parts of the camo pattern so I recommend a light gray or tan. I used a deeper gray and it came out pretty dark. I would have liked something lighter. there was a certain turkey that was fooled down in west virginia this spring! Anyway, the application pricess is the tricky part. I taped out the parts as per the video and made the relief cuts as it instructed.these led to a serious definition breakdown as the activator was applied. I ended up scrapping the relief cuts and got much better results. Also have to be careful with the activator. A little goes a long way. The videos show a heavy dose of activator, I found that a light coat does very well. Dip parts and rinse in cool water first to remove the carrier film and then warm until the residue is gone. Dry and spray several coats of clear. Do not use water for more than one part. That was a disaster. Fresh water for each part, the activator leaves an oily film on the water that wreaked havoc on the next process. There was trial and error but I was happy with the results in the end.

warangelcometh

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    27   0   0
    Sep 6, 2009
    NWI
    I used that very kit to do up my 835 for turkey season. Did it work? absolutely. Was it as easy as the vids make it out to be? Yes, after you get the hang of it. You still have to break down the gun and scuff the pieces, used steel wool on the metal parts and sanded the wood with a vibratory sander(didn't get into the checkering so we will see if that comes back to haunt next time I turkey/duck hunt in the rain). Then prime and paint in a base coat. The base coat forms the open parts of the camo pattern so I recommend a light gray or tan. I used a deeper gray and it came out pretty dark. I would have liked something lighter. there was a certain turkey that was fooled down in west virginia this spring! Anyway, the application pricess is the tricky part. I taped out the parts as per the video and made the relief cuts as it instructed.these led to a serious definition breakdown as the activator was applied. I ended up scrapping the relief cuts and got much better results. Also have to be careful with the activator. A little goes a long way. The videos show a heavy dose of activator, I found that a light coat does very well. Dip parts and rinse in cool water first to remove the carrier film and then warm until the residue is gone. Dry and spray several coats of clear. Do not use water for more than one part. That was a disaster. Fresh water for each part, the activator leaves an oily film on the water that wreaked havoc on the next process. There was trial and error but I was happy with the results in the end.

Thanks for the info. I guess for $99 it's worth a try. Maybe i'll try it on my Glock case or something first.

geno2k

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Apr 23, 2011
    Good idea. btw the video i saw the guy used what appeared to be masking tape to make handles when he dipped his parts. I tried that and the water destroyed the masking tape within a very few seconds. If you go that route use duct tape to make handholds. Also the kit comes with a few pairs of rubber gloves. I went to the paint department and picked up a box of either 50 or a 100 for about 5 bucks. Well worth it, pitch the gloves after dipping.

! twitty

Master
    Rating - 100%
    39   0   0
    May 1, 2011
    NE Indy

pictures?

Taylorz71

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Jan 21, 2011
    Central IN
    I have my son's slug gun that is black and we are looking to paint it. Plus I wan't to digi paint my AR carbine so we might have to give this a shot. I think i would do something small and cheap too just to make sure........ thanks for the post and replies

Jeffdips

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Sep 6, 2011
    The MyDipKit website has all kinds of helpful information to help you make sure you dip-it-yourself effectively.

tgallmey

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Feb 11, 2011
    New Haven
    When I first saw this I thought it was about Camo Chewing Tobacco sorry honest mistake

but in the mean time I leave you with this . . . :bacondance:

Hookeye

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Dec 19, 2011
    armpit of the midwest
    I've used Krylon for years, and my latest rig has about 2 yrs on the stock, looks like new. However..............I'm thinking my newest rifle could use the stock in Mathews Lost camo, or Outshine.

But home dipkits don't have those patterns :(

Top Bottom