• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • yj-guy

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Nov 28, 2009
    brazil
    regardless of what people think i should do, i am going to hunt yotes this winter with the mosin nagant 91/30. i would just like to know the damage from the 7.62x54 rnd on a yote. i wouldnt mind seeing a pic if it isnt to graphic for the site

yj-guy

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Nov 28, 2009
    brazil
    funny you say that. i used a round bail of hay to rest on. that gun threw one heck of a flame, actually caught the bail on fire. mother in law wasnt happy. it was for her horses. oh well. live and learn i guess

Mudcat

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    9   0   0
    Dec 5, 2009
    Warrick county
    Actually pelt damage will be minimal because of the use of a FMJ bullet. It will pass through with minimal damage. You do have to get a good hit on them or they will run off and die a slow inhumane death or not die at all.
    Now if you come up with some soft or ballistic tip bullets then you will see max damage.
    I do not save pelts at the price and time needed to skin and prepare pelt it just does not make sense. If you are in northern IN then your pelts are much thicker and bring more than ours do down here in the south.

Scutter01

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Mar 21, 2008
    There was a video here awhile back of someone using a 91/30 for boar hunting. He hit it at about 300 yards and still had to put it down with a knife.

Rating - 100%
    22   0   0
    Dec 29, 2008
    Brownsburg
    Why not? I'm betting that yote won't be scurrying off after taking a hit with one of those, unless it passes through his ear!

I love my Mosin. It's like a Swiss Army Knife......ok, I know....It is really like a sledge hammer, but what is there that a sledge hammer can't fix?

42769vette

Grandmaster
    Industry Partner
    Rating - 100%
    52   0   0
    Oct 6, 2008
    south of richmond in
    there is absolutly no reason not to hunt coyote with a mosin. are there better guns? ya but there are also alot worse guns. some folks will tell you you have to have a flat shooting centerfire like 223-22-250-220 swift, the list goes on and on. but ive taken coyotes with a 20 ga slug and this was pre rifled barrel and sabot bullet.

take the mosin out have a good time.

hotfarmboy1

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Nov 7, 2008
    Madison County
    there is absolutly no reason not to hunt coyote with a mosin. are there better guns? ya but there are also alot worse guns. some folks will tell you you have to have a flat shooting centerfire like 223-22-250-220 swift, the list goes on and on. but ive taken coyotes with a 20 ga slug and this was pre rifled barrel and sabot bullet.

take the mosin out have a good time.

I'd agree here. And yes generally it will go down about anywhere you hit it with the mosin. A few years back a friend of mine took one with open sights at 150 yards with his M44. Hit the hind quarters and it went down right there. I'd have no probs taking either of mine out for yotes since I don't keep the pelts. But generally I ues my 30-06 cause its more accurate.

paperboy

Master
    Rating - 100%
    11   0   0
    Apr 18, 2009
    Pulaski County
    Is there any Yotes in Indiana? You bet! It's cool to see this thread because I thought about using a Mosin myself this year. I figure the noise and the fireball would help seal the deal!!!! The only problem is the coyotes 4 counties over will hear it... :)

dtkw

Expert
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Aug 18, 2009
    Bloomington
    Long time ago, when I was living in Los Angeles, one early evening, I watched a coyo jumped over my fence into my backyard, walked to the other side and jumped off. It was awesome sight. But I lived in the suburb, couldn't shoot it with my gun or neighbor would call the cops.

yj-guy

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Nov 28, 2009
    brazil
    Is there any Coyo in IN?
    several coyotes in my area. clay and parke counties. the old mining grounds are full of them. spot lighting one night there were 9 running across the open fields. they all stopped when the spot light hit them.

Bisley Man

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Mar 4, 2009
    Whitestown
    I saw a mid size coyote crossing Pendleton Pike in McCordsville last Sat. around 1:PM' running with it's right front leg up.They're everywhere. I'd love to try My scoped M-44 on some 'yotes. I have a handload using a 123 gr.,.310 dia.spitzer and a low dose of 4064. REAL accurate and low recoil. Could be good on a coyote. Always be sure of your target and what's behind it.

Top Bottom