• Michiana

Master
    Emeritus
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    May 3, 2008
    Granger
    Anyone read Gun Test?

I received a sample issue of Gun Test, a monthly "Consumer Reports" kind of magazine that rates different firearms in comparison tests. It was only 32 pages and nothing fancy. I am just wondering if any members have seen this publication and if so what is your opinion as to the opinions expressed by the editors on the different guns? They rated the Ruger LCR a A-; Marlins 983S a Best Buy; and the Rock Island Armory 1911 over the Firestorm.

Last edited:

BrownDog

Marksman
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Mar 14, 2008
    I've had a subscription for 5 years. They do take any advertisment money to support thier publication so I feel that they may be less bias than magazines that do. However, it's still an opinion, a more informed hands on experience of the guns tested opinion, but still an opinion. It's useful when used with other research prior to a purchase. :twocents:

wtfd661

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    11   0   0
    Dec 27, 2008
    North East Indiana
    I have a subscription to it, its a good magazine that I look forward to reading when it comes. I don't always agree with their ratings, but they are always informative. For me its worth the price.

Doublet

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Apr 2, 2008
    Lafayette
    I like the magazine , is like most reviews , is a general ideal what to look for good or bad , but make my own mind up .

mdroz3

Marksman
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jun 3, 2009
    Walkerton

Shooter521, I couldn't agree with you more.
    I had a subscription to Gun Test as well. I found the magazine expensive for the quality and quantity of product received each month. The articles are highly opinionated and biased. Oh and poorly written to boot.(maybe that is because they don't have a fancy dancy editor but who knows).
    After a couple of months i just couldn't read it anymore. I Hate getting preached to(thats why i don't listen to Rush). My overall opinion of the writters was..a couple of high school buddies got together and started a magazine. Wanted to have their opinion taken seriously, so that is how they came up with their "by this, don't by that" system of rateing, and writting for that matter. Who are the writters. Noone I have ever heard of.
    What are their qualifications? Why should their opinion outweigh mine?
    Yeah it'd be different if Noted writters like Craig Boddington, Bart Skelton, and Massad Ayoob, were doing the testing. BTW what a great magazine that would be..sprinkle in some Skeeter Skelton, Jim Carmichael, and a few otheres WOW.
    anyway thats my :twocents:

ARGarrison

Marksman
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jul 13, 2008
    Indiana, of course
    I'll second mdroz3 and third shooter521 thoughts. I got the first issue and the rest of the years subscription, never renewed. Limited test sample, put high end firearms right up against firearm's from companies I hadn't heard of and go figure which was "better" 90% of the time.:rolleyes:

Top Bottom