• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • vedearduff

Marksman
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Aug 15, 2011
    Central Indiana
    About the brass. I'll take some photos of my recovered brass. It's PMC and very much reloadable. I have no doubt that the number of reloads will be less that I'd get from the same brass fired in a bolt action, but I should be able to get several reloads. This does require finding it however. The PTR-91 (like the original G3 and HK-91) is the very definition of enthusiastic ejection. My recovered brass shows the flute marks, but I cannot feel them and the few with dents are still easily reloadable. And, no, I have not installed a port buffer.

vedearduff

Marksman
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Aug 15, 2011
    Central Indiana
    What is a port buffer? I keep reading about that. How does it work? I also read a lot about people installing a different recoil buffer?

The port buffer is a device that attaches to the receiver in such a way as to act as a bumper for casings during ejection. There are at least two on the market, the HK part which works fairly well and a third party version which can cause jams.

From my experiance, it is not needed. A friend has one of the 16 inch GI PTRs and the brass from his rifle is as reloadable as mine is, neither rifle needs the port buffer.

The recoil buffer in the G3/HK-91/PTR-91 is in the stock and stops the rearward travel of the bolt carrier. The recoil buffer in the machiengun version of the G3 is heavier and better reduces the recoil impulse. I don't see the need, but it is an easy modification.

drillsgt

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    108   0   0
    Nov 29, 2009
    Sioux Falls, SD
    Thanks for all the advice. I've read a few posts on other sites about the A prefix guns being troublesome. I think at this point I'm dead set on just getting a brand new one. I've also read the new guns all have same barrel. Which is essentially the GI barrel and they all now feed just about all ammo reliably. Just what I've read on the good ole internet.

If you want a new one Buds has the standard version with green furniture on sale right now for around 900.00 or less if I remembe right. I shot a friends over the weekend and had no issues with it.

Top Bottom