• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • JWAS

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    10   0   0
    Aug 22, 2011
    Dayton
    While I don't own a ptr, out of the three different models I've shot, I enjoyed the ones with the traditional polymer handgaurd and stock. The collapsing stock was okay too. The ptr that I didn't really like all that much was the one with the aluminum handguard and m4 adaptor buttstock. It just became too heavy up front (at least compared to my M1a... Which had an 18 inch barrel and that model of the ptr had a 16 inch.)
    Besides the weight issue of that model, I do like the rifles. Very well made, and as long as you are okay with your brass getting torn up and not able to reload the majority of spent cases, then go for it.
    Also, if you want to shoot a lot of surplus ammo, then I would get one of the ptrs with the GI barrel as the match ones will have issues on occasion.... At least I've read that a lot when I was thinking about getting the ptr.

teddy12b

Grandmaster
    Trainer Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    40   0   0
    Nov 25, 2008
    I've looked at the PTR91's and their biggest temptation in my eyes is that you can get magazines for dirt cheap relatively speaking. $4 or $5 in today's market, but it used to be even less than that. Personally, I'd look at one that has the factory fixed rail on top of the receiver just in front of the rear sight. At least that way if you do want to put an optic on it you've got something from the factory and not a cheesy claw mount.

mxxkffg

Plinker
    Rating - 100%
    9   0   0
    Oct 15, 2011
    southside Indianapolis
    Thank you for the input. I was looking to get one with an 18" barrel and either the classic black or the classic wood. I'm not sure if the GI barrel comes on either of those. I'll have to keep researching.

T.Lex

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    15   0   0
    Mar 30, 2011
    Personally, I'd look at one that has the factory fixed rail on top of the receiver just in front of the rear sight. At least that way if you do want to put an optic on it you've got something from the factory and not a cheesy claw mount.
    +1

I have the CETME cousin to the PTR-91, while my brother has some G3ish rifle. I need the claw mount, while he has the integrated rail. The rail is the better option.

To your question, I love shooting it. :)

echoagain

Marksman
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Aug 1, 2012
    Just bought one (Atlantic Firearms basic model with the rail) but have not yet shot it. The ergonomics are a little different and it can be a bit nose-heavy. The charging handle is going to take some getting used to. From what I understand, it supposedly does not hold the bolt open after the mag is empty. Some people also say that the recoil is a bit more pronounced than other 7.62 Natos. On the plus side, it is a high quality HK-design rifle with cheap mags, a reasonable price and with a reputation for being reliable and accurate. I was thinking about an M1A (will still probably get one at some point), but more $$, pricier mags, and not as optic-friendly as the railed PTR. The HK design also has a certain cool factor as well that I kinda like, for whatever that's worth! I'm happy with mine thus far.

sloughfoot

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    26   0   0
    Apr 17, 2008
    Huntertown, IN
    I traded my PTR 91 to a man on INGO for an DPMS LR-308. I liked the PTR but I like the LR even more. If you are considering a PTR, you are GTG.

Thread hijack....If the trader sees this post, I found two more mags for the PTR. PM me so I can get them to you.

rob63

Master
    Rating - 100%
    20   0   0
    May 9, 2013
    Thank you for the input. I was looking to get one with an 18" barrel and either the classic black or the classic wood. I'm not sure if the GI barrel comes on either of those. I'll have to keep researching.

I talked to the factory reps at the NRA convention about this because I am saving up for one. He told me that they now install the GI barrel on all of the guns because of the past issues. FWIW, the issue actually had to do with the .308 vs. 7.62 NATO and the chamber fluting rather than the actual barrel.

He also told me that if there is a particular combination of barrel length, stocks, rails, etc. that you want that they don't currently offer then just call them. They can put one together for you pretty much however you want it.

vedearduff

Marksman
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Aug 15, 2011
    Central Indiana
    I have a PTR-91 Classic with wood furniture. I could not be happier with it, it was on at 50 yards out of the box using the 200 meter aperture. The ammo I was using is PMC Bronze. No failures of any kind.

Here are a few photos.

First, the rifle as received.
    PTR-91asreceivedWEB_zps8bb40716.jpg

Next, with the collapsible stock.
    PTR-91withParaStockWEB_zps027552a1.jpg

I replaced the polymer Navy lower with a clipped and pinned steel lower and a walnut hand grip. Here is a close up of the receiver area and the hand grip.
    SteelLowerCloseup_zps024f66c8.jpg

And an overall shot with the new lower and grip.
    PTR-91withSteelLowerandWoodGrip_zpscd39d8b6.jpg

Next on the agenda, a few coats of True Oil to better match the hand grip. After that, I'll add a paddle mag release. The steel lower was purchased from RTG Parts and the hand grip from a member of another forum. I purchased the collapsible stock from a friend who nolonger wanted it.

If I decide to scope this rifle, I'll install an MFI low profile rail. For a mount, I'll use the PEPR from Buris. I'll probably go with one of the various 1-4 or 1-6 power scopes.

If you think you may want to use an optic, it would be a good idea to go with one of the versions that have a welded on rail. My rifle has an 18 inch barrel, the friend who sold me the collapsible stock has a 16 inch PTR-91 GI. I do not think you would regret the purchase if you decide to get a PTR and they are offering a railed version of the 16 inch barreled Classic with wood.

If you would like a chance to give my rifle a try, PM me and we may be able to arrange just that.

Sling10mm

Expert
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 12, 2012
    I used to own one of their 18" (I think) barreled guns that I picked up back in 2006. It was a great rifle, and ate anything I fed it, even some nasty mil-surp stuff. It also ran fine on South African surplus, which is tar-sealed and can gum up some guns. I sold it a couple of years ago and regretted it, so I picked this up from Atlantic a couple of years ago...

ptr_pdw_zps3a13199b.jpg

Thor

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Jan 18, 2014
    Could be anywhere
    This is True.
    if you reload they thrash brass and thats if you can find it.
    These weapons were meant to extract at all costs, they don't care what your brass looks like afterwards. I have seen them extract spent cartridges without an extractor on the bolt, they will generally stovepipe the spent cartridge if you have this particular configuration though.

I tested some G3s and KH91s in FRG in the way back. They are incredibly reliable and I would trust them to fire as much as I would an AK...maybe more so.

mxxkffg

Plinker
    Rating - 100%
    9   0   0
    Oct 15, 2011
    southside Indianapolis
    Thanks for all the advice. I've read a few posts on other sites about the A prefix guns being troublesome. I think at this point I'm dead set on just getting a brand new one. I've also read the new guns all have same barrel. Which is essentially the GI barrel and they all now feed just about all ammo reliably. Just what I've read on the good ole internet.

roadrunner681

Expert
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Feb 2, 2013
    henry county
    Yeah, the brass is pretty much junk because of the fluted chamber. No big deal with milspec berdan primed fodder that people don't reload anyway.
    These rifles always work if they're on spec and clean.
    in my experince they dont care if there clean very much ether, i dont own on my self yet but my buddy's gi model can run with my ak any day of the week i hate being on his right at the range though those rifles define brisk ejection when they throw a case. the trigger on his is awful, my ak has a better trigger and its horrible as well.

vedearduff

Marksman
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Aug 15, 2011
    Central Indiana
    Those are some sweet looking rifles. I just might have to take you up on that offer vedearduff. How's shooting the rifle with that collapsible stock?
    I have no trouble with mine. The recoil is no worse using the collapsible stock, and there is no discomfort in the cheek weld area. As a matter of fact, I don't notice any more recoil from my PTR-91 than I do with my AR (a Stag M2). As I mentioned before, PM me and we can make arrangements to get you some range time with my PTR.

Top Bottom