Anyone out there know about transmissions?

The #1 community for Gun Owners in Indiana

Member Benefits:

• Fewer Ads!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    May 21, 2011
    Figured i'd take a shot in the dark here before i start up a mustang forum acct ..... Anyway

I have a manual 98 Mustang GT that refuses to go into third gear. It goes into first and 2nd fine, then when it should shift to third it just revs up. I've checked trans fluid and its fine, other than that i have no idea what could possibly be wrong. Im hoping someone out there can at least point me in the right direction before i go buying a rebuilt one or have mine rebuilt. Any ideas what could be causing this?

PaulF

Shooter
    Rating - 100%
    8   0   0
    Apr 4, 2009
    Indianapolis
    Automatic transmission?

Could be as simple as low ATF, though it is more likely a problem in the shift solenoids.

Manual Transmission?

Probably a bad blocker ring on the 3-4 shift hub.

Repair costs?
    A few dollars and some time spent topping-up the ATF, all the way up to complete rebuild/replacement of gearbox (not cheap).

Without at least driving it, i can only guess.

I hope this helps.

-Paul

eldirector

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    10   0   0
    Apr 29, 2009
    Brownsburg, IN
    I assume it is a 5-speed? One, two, four, and five all work fine? Shifting into 3rd is the same as neutral?

I'm guessing shift rails are messed up. Your gear selector moves one of 3 rails forward/backward to switch gears. Third and Fourth are actually on the same rail (3rd is shifter forward/rail back). The rails are in the top cover of the transmission, and pretty easy to get to (other than the need to pull the trans). A competent shop can either find the issue and fix it, or just replace the whole top cover. I doubt the rest of the transmission needs touched.

Just my $0.02, based on your brief description!

D2VW14_20

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    23   0   0
    Nov 24, 2010
    Scottsburg In
    Also, will it go into gear with the vehicle off?

If it will not, most like have a internal transmission problem. If it goes into gear, sound more like a clutch issue or a throw out bearing.

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    May 21, 2011
    UGH .... long day, auto transmission, not a manual :facepalm: no problems or sounds goig into 1st or 2nd gear .... After it tries going into third (when it just revs up) i have to wait for the rpms to come down a bunch i usually (4 of 5 times) have to manually shift into 1st or it wont catch and will just rev up when i give it gas .... ill google the ideas thrown out so far, any opinions help.

eldirector

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    10   0   0
    Apr 29, 2009
    Brownsburg, IN
    Well, then... disregard my previous post!

Stuff to check on the auto:
    - fluid level, color, and even smell (is it burnt?)
    - Ever replace the filter? Looking at it now may give more clues (like is it gummed up, or full of debris)

If it revs free, just like in neutral, then I suspect it is either low on fluid (can't build pressure), a fluid passage is blocked (needs flush and filter), or a servo is bad (never engages 3rd - needs repair).

If there is SOME engagement, some noise, etc... while in 3rd, then I'd guess the clutch pack for that gear is toast. Time for a rebuild or replacement.

Either way, time for a decent repair shop to take a gander.

96firephoenix

Master
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Apr 15, 2010
    Indianapolis, IN
    sounds like a toasted clutch pack. could also be an outside chance that your torque converter is fried, if its having trouble going into first. I'd be inclined to say not the converter though.

ATOMonkey

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jun 15, 2010
    Plainfield
    I was gonna say, sounds like a clutch pack issue to me. But without being there, I can't throw in much.

I had the same thing happen to an old firebird.

1 - 2 - VROOOOOOMMMMM...

nothing like going down the Interstate at 50 mph in 2nd gear to the next exit.

It's a fairly common failure in a standard auto trans.

Top Bottom