Anyone On the Southside have exerience with Rounded Allen Bolts?

The #1 community for Gun Owners in Indiana

Member Benefits:

• Fewer Ads!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • ryan3030

Master
    Rating - 100%
    94   0   0
    Dec 2, 2010
    Indy
    When this happened to me it was on a 1911 with grips that I didn't care about.

I used a Dremel to cut a horizontal slot in the screw head and then used a flat-head screwdriver to back the screw out.

This also cut a small slot into the 1911 grip, but like I said I didn't care about those. If you were super careful you may be to avoid damaging the surrounding area while doing this.

Leadster

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Nov 11, 2012
    I like your thinking and sounds like you had it under control the whole time.
    It was hard to tell by the photo, that is alot bigger screw then I thought. I bought a torque driver set and it has saves me a number of times. I think that is what they are called anyway. You hit it and it uses down pressure and turns at the same time.

kawtech87

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    45   0   0
    Nov 17, 2011
    Martinsville
    Got it out...I love Torx,

I pounded a torx bit into it and then hit it with a rarchet and out it came....now I just need to order a new screw from Sage....

This was gonna be my suggestion. Its worked for me 9 times out of 10 when an allen bolt is stripped. I have an extractor set for the tenth time.

billybob44

Master
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    392   0   0
    Sep 22, 2010
    In the Man Cave
    Glad you got it out..

Got it out...I love Torx,

I pounded a torx bit into it and then hit it with a rarchet and out it came....now I just need to order a new screw from Sage....

I was ready to suggest when I read your post ^^^.

If the torx trick does not work, sometimes using a Metric hex wrench will. If the bad one is Metric, then try a Standard hex wrench.

It always helps too to be able to hammer on the bit at the same time that you are turning it out. Just some tricks from an old retired mechanic..Bill.

Top Bottom