• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • lovemachine

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    17   0   0
    Dec 14, 2009
    Indiana
    Does anyone like Sushi? I've never had it before. And I just heard of a restaurant in Brownsburg that serves it. I'm thinking of checking it out, just to try something new.

But I seriously don't think I'll like it.

ljadayton

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jul 29, 2008
    SW Indy
    I've never had it but I generally prefer my food to be cooked...meat wise anyways. And I'm counting fish as a meat for being cooked

Woodsman

Expert
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    May 19, 2009
    New albany
    Start off with some of the shrimp. Most people are used to eating that (non-fried of course). Then you might try the salmon or tuna. Yeah, it's raw but so is the fish that comes out of can. Sushi doesn't really have that fishy smell. Most people have an aversion to this because it's raw or something they heard once (maybe on the internet:rolleyes:).

One thing to watch out for though is the wasabi. It's a Japanese version of horseradish that will light you up if you're not careful. A little goes a long way.

Then after you get used to several of the above try some octopus. That's a meal you can chew on all day long. PS. Don't mind the suckers...

mrjarrell

Shooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jun 18, 2009
    Hamilton County
    Personally, I love sushi. So do my kids. Remember that not all sushi is raw. Many pieces are cooked, like Unagi (eel) and some places have tempura sushi's on their menus. I'd definitely suggest you give it a try, you might just find something new and interesting that you like. All types of tuna is great. Try a simple California roll. Just remember that not all places are on the same level. Some make vastly better sushi than others. Shop around and ask your friends that like sushi for suggestions.

joslar15

Master
    Rating - 100%
    12   0   0
    Mar 3, 2009
    Bloomington
    Just go in with an open mind. Try to put aside the negative things you've heard, especially who've never tried it, but their friend did... By wanting to give it a try, you're halfway there. Enjoy!

Colt556

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    65   0   0
    Feb 12, 2009
    Avon
    I really like sushi. There are a few good sushi places in and around the Broad Ripple area. I go to two different Chinese Buffets, yes I know sushi is Japanese, that have sushi to chow down on. Try something simple first like a California Roll, don't forget the Wasabi! :eek:

Goosepond Monster

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Mar 15, 2010
    Ellettsville
    Growing up I was one who always said I would never try it. I decided to give it a shot and found out I really like it. I'll echo what has been said by starting out with shrimp, tuna or salmon. I enjoy the rolls that have crab in them as well. I haven't been adventurous enough to try the more exotic rolls yet.

Kirk Freeman

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    11   0   0
    Mar 9, 2008
    Lafayette, Indiana
    Like sushi? No, no, no, I'm in love with sushi.:D

The others are right, start with a California roll.

You may like to try the unagi as a roll or nigiri or temaki (its like an ice cream cone of protein). Or, another good starter is the spicy salmon temaki.

Temaki (protein ice cream cone), my favorite type of sushi:

Nigiri (slab of fish on rice):

Maki (the roll)

This should help:

Sushi - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

How to behave yourself (may not be a concern in the 'burbs but where I live there are real Japanese chefs who do not cotton to 'burbian foolishness).

The Sushi FAQ - How to Eat Sushi (Sushi Etiquette)

We have lots of suggestions for restaurants in many different cities.

cbseniour

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    11   0   0
    Feb 8, 2011
    South East Marion County
    I really like sushi but my wife won't touch it. That'snot a bad thing though more for me.
    As was suggested above try shrimp or tuna first they both have a very distinct taste that you will find familiar. The texture will range more in the new area. After the first bite have a sip of Saparo or Saci and try another.

Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Jul 3, 2008
    central indiana
    tegry Bistro?
    if that is the place , it is very good.. i am not a super big fan of sushi, i do like it at Tegry... my wife loves it .. we often drive from lafayette to go to tegry because it is better than places here..

Tuna is a good thing to start with..

schafe

Master
    Rating - 66.7%
    2   1   0
    Oct 15, 2009
    Monroe Co.
    I've been to Japan on business a few times, and ate plenty of it. It was okay, but I never get a "hankerin' " for it. I went with the attitude that "as long as it wasn't still moving, I'd eat it." (and some of it had just quit moving.) I told them I really liked it because they were great hosts and good folks.
    On the other hand, the best steak I have ever eaten was there.(go figure)
    As an aside,that was in the Fukushima Prefecture, so I am following the situation there with intrest.

phrozen5100

Marksman
    Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    Feb 1, 2009
    IN
    After trying 'sushi' out at a Chinese buffet, I thought it was terrible.
    Awhile later, I tried some at a sushi restaurant, and I've been addicted ever since.
    Wasabi is fantastic with sushi, but I typically dilute it with soy sauce (1:3-4).
    You'll probably want to ease into it with the tuna and salmon based rolls. If you're OK with those, then you'll probably be alright with the more exotic stuff.

Top Bottom