• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • tom1025

Master
    Rating - 100%
    27   0   0
    Mar 6, 2009
    Underground
    I was out in our woods a few minutes ago and I find these. Anyone know what they are? The wife is concerned that they might be alien spores.

2012-08-26_17-36-21_903.jpg

2012-08-26_17-39-33_442.jpg

kjf40

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Dec 31, 2011
    Lake county
    They look like the puff ball mushrooms...my mom loves them.

Not sure if that is the real name....that's what she always called them.

tom1025

Master
    Rating - 100%
    27   0   0
    Mar 6, 2009
    Underground
    I know they are mushrooms just didn't know if anyone knew there name. It looked liked something had been nibbling on them. I think they are Bovista Plumbea??? Not sure.

tightlines

Plinker
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Jul 24, 2012
    West of Indy
    They look like the puff ball mushrooms...my mom loves them.

Not sure if that is the real name....that's what she always called them.

Indeed they are. I have found puff ball mushrooms the size of basketballs. If you know what you are doing they can be very tasty. I myself do not know how to properly prepare them, but my grandpa used to make them. I would use caution though as I have never seen puffballs with these imperfections/holes. When I find puff balls, they do not have holes in them.:dunno:

Merrixs

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Jan 10, 2011
    North West
    I have never heard them called anything but puff ball. And I agree that's what they look like. One way to find out is to step on it, although it might not puff anymore with those holes in it.

GodFearinGunTotin

Super Moderator
    Staff member
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Mar 22, 2011
    Mitchell
    With glob warming, the shrinking of the ice caps and glaciers, my bet is on yeti migration and that's yeti droppings.

tom1025

Master
    Rating - 100%
    27   0   0
    Mar 6, 2009
    Underground
    I have never heard them called anything but puff ball. And I agree that's what they look like. One way to find out is to step on it, although it might not puff anymore with those holes in it.

Well I really didn't think about stepping on it. However I did poke it with a stick but nothing happened. The mosquitoes are horrible right now so I didn't spend much time messing around.

bamayne

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 10, 2012
    New Castle
    They are edible (while the meat is still bright white). I personally don't care for them. Wierd texture and no real flavor to speak of. Morels or Hen of the woods and now we're talking! The Hens of the woods should be up soon, too.
    What are Hen of the woods? Never heard of them?

.45 Dave

Master
    Emeritus
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Aug 13, 2010
    Anderson
    I understand that puffballs are poisonous if the insides are dark in color. Someone with more 'shroom knowledge could answer that. I have spent a lot of time in the woods but have only seen one once. It freaked me out too until I found out what it was.

tom1025

Master
    Rating - 100%
    27   0   0
    Mar 6, 2009
    Underground
    I understand that puffballs are poisonous if the insides are dark in color. Someone with more 'shroom knowledge could answer that. I have spent a lot of time in the woods but have only seen one once. It freaked me out too until I found out what it was.

They also have medicinal purpose but not to sure I would trust it. The fact that they can be poisonous is enough to keep me away from them.

Last edited:
    Top Bottom