Anyone know much about H&K USP Tacticals?

The #1 community for Gun Owners in Indiana

Member Benefits:

• Fewer Ads!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Apr 14, 2010
    I am considering buying a USP Tactical and did not know if they were all basically the same or if there are better/worse ones produced... basically should I just look for the most recent H&K Date Code or something else?

flatlander

Master
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    19   0   0
    May 30, 2009
    Noblesville
    As far as I know there is NO difference except in the carrying case and sometimes the colors. they are very accurate and a joy to shoot especially with a Knight suppressor:cool:

Bob

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Apr 14, 2010
    As far as I know there is NO difference except in the carrying case and sometimes the colors. they are very accurate and a joy to shoot especially with a Knight suppressor:cool:

Bob

That would be awesome... gotta save up the cost of the suppressor and $200 more... then get cleared by the government... right?

Woodsman

Expert
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    May 19, 2009
    New albany
    Don't hold me to a specific date, but sometime ago (maybe 3-5 years ago) some minor changes where made to the recoil bushings/retainer clips. Other than that I can't think of anything significant.

If you buy a new USPt then it should all be taken care. For more specifics talk to the guys at HKPro.com. They're the experts.

I can say you'll like it though. I have several and they are all great.

01deuce

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    Apr 8, 2009
    walkerton
    They are no longer made with colored frames. They have adjustable sights and a match trigger. the soft case from HK adds value versus the hard case.

slow1911s

Master
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Apr 3, 2008
    Indianapolis
    I had a 45 Tactical for a couple of years. Pretty accurate and very reliable. BIG gun (and I have big hands). Decent SA trigger, ok DA.

Mags are spendy. Only a few people work on them, too (Teddy Jacobsen and Grey Guns are the first two that come to mind).

KAS

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Apr 2, 2010
    Indianapolis
    My shooting buddy has the 9 and 45 HK and I have shot both. They are his favorite (and he has a lot of guns (ok, I am a little envious). Both are remarkably accurate out of the box and very comfortable guns.

Gungho_1989

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    May 1, 2008
    SE IDPLS
    I have owned the 45 Tactical and am looking at getting the 9mm SD.
    My 45 tactical was great, one of those damn I shoulda kept that one deals. I was considering getting a can not long before I sold it but never pulled the trigger on that one. I put several hundred rounds through it without ever a hiccup. Accurate and reliable.
    I have been thinking about getting the SD and adding a speed chute and the higher cap mags but have to wait for funds to swing around my way on that one.

LRHostetler

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Dec 13, 2009
    Fort Wayne
    Here's some information I found over on AR15.com that lists at least some of the revisions the USP has undergone over the years:

USP Product Line Changes: (Thanks BigBore)

1993 Original USP9 and .40

1994 Reduced the slide weight by 1.1 oz.
    Reason: improve reliability with training rounds and make gun easier to carry.

1994-95 Change to a polygonal barrel
    Reason: Glock

1994-95 Change trigger transfer bar
    Reason: Improve reliability in cold weather and dirty environments

1994-95 Change recoil guide rod to a "captured spring version"
    Reason: Glock

1995 Change trigger mechanism. Changed one piece catch to two piece catch.
    Reason: Improve drop protection, reduce manufacturing costs, eliminate hammer over travel

1995-96 Add rubber spur to hammer
    Reason: Required to pass some institution's drop test.
    ?? on date-change size of magazine release to current smaller button.
    Reason: to prevent inadvertent mag releases?

1995-96 Change angle on slide lock
    Reason: customers don't want slide to close automatically when a mag is inserted

2000 Add locking feature to hammer strut support:
    Reason: attempt to pacify safety Nazis

2001 Converted captive recoil spring retainer from c-clip to
    Machined end on Compacts.
    Reason? C-clip prone to breakage on the Compacts.

I can say from experience that the USP is great gun. I've had a full size .40 S&W for 8 years and have never had an issue with it. Several friends have purchased them after shooting mine. Even one guy who vowed never to take the HK plunge, you know who you are (OneBadV8). :D Another friend has a USP Tactical .45 that I've carried and shot and it too is a fine weapon.

Hopefully this helps.

OneBadV8

Stay Picky my Friends
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    53   0   0
    Aug 7, 2008
    Ft Wayne
    I can say from experience that the USP is great gun. I've had a full size .40 S&W for 8 years and have never had an issue with it. Several friends have purchased them after shooting mine. Even one guy who vowed never to take the HK plunge, you know who you are (OneBadV8). :D Another friend has a USP Tactical .45 that I've carried and shot and it too is a fine weapon.

Hopefully this helps.

Who? What? :dunno:

HKs are terrible. Don't do it. :popcorn:

You should shoot one first, but the problem with that is you'll pry end up buying one immediately after shooting one. They are very nice shooting guns.

Top Bottom