• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Hammer

Master
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Jan 24, 2009
    On the lake
    I was into it pretty hard back around 1986-89.
    Got invited to Nationals, but totaled my car 1 week before I went.

74 Super Beetle, fiberglassed inside and windows replaced.
    Concord head unit
    Kenwood cross-over
    2 x punch 1000's
    1 x punch 150 bridged and mono
    1 x punch 45 bridged and mono
    Interstate SRM4D battery in the front trunk.

Rear
    2 x 15" savard
    4 x 12" savard
    4 x 10" savard
    Front
    4 x 8" savards
    4 x 6"
    4 x 2" eclipse with tweeters

It pushed 148.7 db

Exodus

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Jun 29, 2011
    SWI
    I miss my system. Had 2 JL 10W6s (IIRC), with 1000w JL mono amp, 5 1/4 JL components front and rear pushed by a 425 JL amp with an Alpine headunit. Everything sounded great in there. Plus had a ps2 and screens in the headrests. My friends loved playing grand turismo while driving.

ROLEXrifleman

Master
    Rating - 100%
    55   0   0
    Feb 7, 2009
    NW Indiana
    Some of the 1st subs I ever heard were Savard Rap Series 12's on Alphasonic amps. Then came the G&S redline subs!

Here's a pic out of my stash

0774c545.jpg

phrozen5100

Marksman
    Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    Feb 1, 2009
    IN
    I was once big into car audio, but I'm actually pretty satisfied with my current OEM audio setup, amazingly enough.

Some remnants from awhile ago...

Adire Audio Tempests
    dualtempestswithgrills.jpg

x5zx7500x1.jpg

Mr Evilwrench

Quantum Mechanic
    Emeritus
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Aug 18, 2011
    Carmel
    Zounds. I dabbled back in the late 70s, early 80s, but nothing like what you can get now. I had a hatchback 77 Starfire and built a kicker box that form fit in the tail back before there was such a thing, heck, I may have invented it. Dunno. Real speakers, woofers and tweeters, crossovers, the lot. Some fargin bastige stole it. Can't imagine what he planned for it; it was kind of Monza body only. I set myself up with a multi-input box so I could play anything through the equalizer/amp, Walkman, radio, scanner, whatever. Didn't have CDs yet. Pretty sweet setup at the time.

myloudfamily

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Dec 28, 2012
    I'm needing ideas for my 02 F350 4 door. I been out of the audio game for a while but I'm looking to definitely upgrade. I'm with a stock head unit but he door speakers been changed already to Mb quarts. I need to know what subs are going to work with my enclosure options. Amp ideas also they have come so far since I was actively in the game. Please I'm me with any input. Thank you in advance for time and opinion.

PistolBob

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Oct 6, 2010
    Midwest US
    I had an old 1965 Ford Galaxie 500 with a 289 under the hood, and a Kraco 8 Track under the dash...had about 8 or 9 6 by 9's in various locations throughout the car, even had a couple of "found" drive in movie speakers under the hood. Had one of those Spark-O-Matic converters for the factory AM radio so I could listen to the CB frequencies....it was bad to the bone. Don't want to forget the 12 band EQ either, it had little red LIGHTS (not LEDs) in the sliders....I think it was a Kraco as well....bought most of the audio gear at Zayre.

ZbornacSVT

Owner at Bobcat Armament
    Site Supporter
    Industry Partner
    Rating - 100%
    30   0   0
    Feb 15, 2009
    Shelbyville
    I'm needing ideas for my 02 F350 4 door. I been out of the audio game for a while but I'm looking to definitely upgrade. I'm with a stock head unit but he door speakers been changed already to Mb quarts. I need to know what subs are going to work with my enclosure options. Amp ideas also they have come so far since I was actively in the game. Please I'm me with any input. Thank you in advance for time and opinion.

The pics I posted were from my 03 F250 CC. I'd be happy to help any way I can.

darkkevin

Master
    Rating - 100%
    16   0   0
    Dec 25, 2010
    crown point
    Always been into car audio SQ setups, worked as an installer for Unitek electronics in Lansing back in the day when they were THE car audio place in Chicagoland. We would get people that would set a budget, largest I did was 20k) drop off their car and let us have full discretion! Wish I had pics of some of the installs still, we took lots of pics but they got hung in the store. Sadly today's audio available to us is almost all about features and way less about quality. :xmad:

Hosted

Plinker
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Jun 26, 2011
    Albion
    Kind of funny sitting here remembering all the money I spend on car audio. I never really competed much. The times I did, my box was always my limiting factor. Here are a couple I've had. For a couple years there I just kept trading to try out as much as I could. I would like to have a couple of these back. Was thinking of putting something in my truck so hopefully this will give me some motivation.

2 12" Kenwoods with a cheap 1200 watt Planet Audio amp. This was 12 to 13 years ago so I can't really remember the details of them. They were sealed in a sngle cab truck.

2 12" Rockford Fosgate HX2's with a Fosgate 800a2 amp. Ported in the back of an Eclipse.

2 12" PPI Pro subwoofers with an old PPI art series amp. I want to say the amp was around 600 to 800 watts. Put these in a sealed box in the Eclipse so I had some cargo room.

2 12" Diamond Audio Macdaddys with an Xtant 1001dx. Didn't get as loud, but one of my favorites. Sealed in a single cab truck. That one was a tight fit.

2 10" Orion HCCA 10d with an Orion HCCA 250 amp. That was a good old amp! Ported in the back of my company car. Ended up getting rid of them after my boss looked in the trunk and saw I couldn't fit anything else in there.

1 12" MMats Dreadnaut with a USAmps 1000x amp. In a ported box in the back of the same company car that the boss said was fine. Fantastic sound for 1 12". This was one heck of an amp too.

MrBBQ

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Dec 30, 2012
    Sadly today's audio available to us is almost all about features and way less about quality. :xmad:

X2 everything is coming with GPS, bluetooth, and shiatsu massagers... but they can't seem to give you a clean ground.

But the same thing can be said about the recordings as well... one day dynamics will return.

partyboy6686

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    95   0   0
    Oct 9, 2011
    Indianapolis
    Rolexrifleman I was a hardcore SPL junkie for 2 years. It is super exspensive and destroys your cars. I sold all my subs and amps a lil over a year ago. I had a few custom made Big Gap Shocker Sigs. Had 8 layer dual 1.4ohm aluminum coils. Crescendo Audio 3kwp amps. XS Power batteries. I still have lots of friends who do SPL comps. I go to some locals comps to hang with friends and check out the new builds. Every now and then ill get the itch to wanna do car aduio again but decide to buy another gun instead.

darkkevin

Master
    Rating - 100%
    16   0   0
    Dec 25, 2010
    crown point
    looks like i'm into my next build :spend::spend: dodge ram3500 dually diesel
    gonna use my alpine 3-way spx-f17's for the fronts, alpine 6.5" drivers for the rear (spx series but can't remember the p/n) just picked up an old school memphis big belle amp and 120 sq/ft of audiotechnix 60mil deadener. sub is a boston acoustics g312-44 dvc running 2 ohms in a custom stealth style box and the head unit is a kenwood ddx-419 that i'm doing some serious dash mods to make it look factory. hoping to have it all installed by the weekend if work doesn't kick my ass too bad this week. :D

sig-guy

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Mar 2, 2013
    Orion, HiFonics...

Oh yeah, those were the days. I still have a HiFonics "sub-only" amp and a few Special Edition amps manufactured by Orion.

I was big into audio, as I was in the audio retail/install trade.

It's pretty much gone by the waste side here, but I do miss the hobby.

Anyone remember the MTX Exterminator Amps?

marrell1482

Marksman
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Oct 6, 2012
    NWI
    Unfortunately I don't have the photos on my iPad of the box before it was installed...

-three ten inch Memphis PRs
    image_zpsf7f366f4.jpg

-One pair of Memphis 2ways in the doors and one pair of components in the doors
    image_zpsd6faae20.jpg

image_zps51e3fb8d.jpg

-2012 pioneer flip out can't remember the model number
    image_zps85f113d1.jpg

-Memphis m class 1000x1
    image_zps6970b1ae.jpg

-Memphis PR 4 channel honestly I don't even remember what size I'm about to switch it out with a four channel m class
    image_zps9b4d5690.jpg

-Memphis 4x6s in the rear
    -flush mounted tweeters in the pillars

image_zpsb876a42c.jpg

image_zps1216a8b0.jpg

Middle seat was cut out of my ninety nine silverado and we made a center council with the three tens. Not bad but I feel they're a bit underpowered with the 1000x1. I had a Memphis PR hooked up in the beginning but the fan was starting to make noise and it drove me crazy. Switched to the m class thought it would be better (specially considering the price Geeesh) but I don't think so. Maybe cleaner but definitely not as loud. Haven't gotten into any competitions or anything.

Last edited:
    Top Bottom