Anyone have tips on how to survive SHTF with children?

The #1 community for Gun Owners in Indiana

Member Benefits:

• Fewer Ads!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • mrjarrell

Shooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jun 18, 2009
    Hamilton County
    One problem I've run into w/ the kids is stocking back extra clothes. I've got extra boots for me, some extra jeans etc, but the darn kids keep growing, it's not financially practical for me to put back a pair of boots for one of the kids when they'll have outgrown that size in a month's time. Unfortunately this has led me to the conclusion that the only options for me will be to 1) Hit wally world with my emergency CC as things go bad and buy as much clothing in varying sizes as I can (the emergency CC has a 20k limit, so that should be allot lol) 2) Acquire what I need for my kids after things go poopy by whatever means necessary.....
    You might think about taking up leather work, for shoes. Moccasins are easy to make and can be sized really easy. Kits are also cheap from Tandy Leather. You could lay in a couple of sizes for the cost of some cheap sneakers.

Tandy Leather Factory - Scout Moc Kits

Rating - 100%
    11   0   0
    Dec 14, 2011
    ECI
    Great thread. Have thought of this many times as I also have several kids. Although I don't have a lot of the restrictions you do and my kids are also a little older. The wife and I have really begun to take this very serious and are slowly getting going with our preps. The oldest boy and wife has begun firearm training with me. Food storage is getting started and we are doing small things to start to become as self sustainable as possible. We are far from where we need to be but little steps. We really have no choice except bug in but fortunately we live in an rural area that will accomodate it. I also seek guidance from my lord Jesus Christ to help we to do the best i can each day.

DadOfFour

Marksman
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Poopy...sounds like a Dad of four

If you can make it out of Wally with your goods intact.

Haha that's what the guns are for, and why the daughter is trained on over watch ;)

You might think about taking up leather work, for shoes. Moccasins are easy to make and can be sized really easy. Kits are also cheap from Tandy Leather. You could lay in a couple of sizes for the cost of some cheap sneakers.

Tandy Leather Factory - Scout Moc Kits
    Hmmm I like that idea, I'll have to check it out!

Blackhawk2001

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Jun 20, 2010
    NW Indianapolis
    If you look at your situation and the possible bad things that can happen in one big chunk, things may look hopeless. But try breaking things down into "manageable bits". Survey your locale and try to picture the hazards/disasters that may befall you. You might start by checking with your local emergency management people; they get paid (when they're paid) to develop the hazard analysis for the jurisdiction they're in. That will give you some idea of what the people who've studied the situation think may happen.

Then look to the "essentials": food, water, shelter, necessary medical items, travel (if required), self-defense (if necessary). Notice that "self-defense" may be the least of your problems in a SHTF situation; in a local disaster, neighbors tend to help out, even if they don't know their neighbors.

Break down the various essentials into: Can I buy it? Store it? Cache it? What are the problems I face? What can I do to minimize or overcome those problems? Under what circumstances would we need to abandon our home? What would be the issues (personal health issues, adequate transportation equipment, adequate fuel, adequate knowledge of evacuation routes, alternate destinations, etc.)

If you break your problems down into manageable pieces, you'll find that they aren't so overwhelming and you can prioritize to solve the issues.

T-Bolt

Marksman
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Apr 16, 2011
    Lafayette
    Buy a few bolts of fabric and learn to sew. If you cant sew but you have fabric you can always barter.

That's what we did as a father of 5.

churchmouse

I still care....Really
    Emeritus
    Rating - 100%
    187   0   0
    Dec 7, 2011
    Speedway area
    My "Kids" are mid to late 20's. My grandaughter is 5. She is for the most part the reason I re-evaluated my prep. program. We have always been prepared but not at the levels most of those who post here are. We as a family have gotten our program up to speed since I joined this forum.
    With the kids help we feel it possible to survive most any SHTF scenario's. They are able campers and have basic survival skills. All are very well trained with firearms of all kinds.
    I guess my final post in this thread is to recommend you never stop spending quality time with the kids. In doing the things we have talked about they will be trained and not realize it is a never ending boot camp. We are planning a "He-man" camp out very soon.
    No electricity, plumbing etc. 4 wheel back into the woods and stay for a few days in a live off the fire existence. The "Kids" love these outings and we do it as often as schedules allow. They really love the deep winter ones.
    Range time is still a training session for all of us and we are getting into longer range shooting. These times are good memory's and great fun.
    Never stop.

Top Bottom