• ...and so much more!
  • lovemachine

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    17   0   0
    Dec 14, 2009
    Indiana
    Anyone here have a North Face Jacket?

I was thinking of buying my wife and I one. I like the idea of a non-bulky coat, and I just saw on their website that there is A LOT of selections.

pjcalla

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    19   0   0
    Jan 29, 2009
    Hamilton County
    Long ago, I had a North Face gore-tex shell. It was great. That was probably around 15 years ago. I have been leaning toward Mountain Hardware now, and have several of their jackets/shells, and have been extremely pleased.

IMO, North Face used to be a great, small company that made excellent gear. They have "sold out" so to speak and make mass quantities of gear for everyone. Back in the day, North Face was only available at specialty shops, now you can find them anywhere.

Other brands that, IMO, are better are Marmot, Mountain Hardware, Sierra Designs, etc. I also have had good luck with Sherpa Adventure Gear, I got a down parka from them, and it seems really well made.

Check out Sierra Trading Post - Great Deals. Great Brands.. They have great deals on high end equipment.

Ericpwp

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    18   0   0
    Jan 14, 2011
    NWI
    I have a fake one. My mom bid on it in a silent charity auction. She won it, it was fake, she gave it to me.

indysims

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    17   0   1
    Aug 31, 2011
    I have a lightweight softshell jacket, North Face Apex, that I've had for 4+ years and worn the crap out of it. It's warm and lightweight and the windbreaking shell makes it warmer than you would think it would be, but not as bulky and hot when you're indoors. It's got some mild water resistance too, which is night in a light rain.

Try to catch them on sale if you're stuck on getting the North Face brand. Otherwise many other 2nd tier brands are just as good.

I think when I'm ready for a new on I'll might look at this Taurus Softshell | Free Shipping

Rating - 100%
    23   0   0
    Mar 26, 2008
    Deadman's Hollow
    All North Face, Marmot, Mountain Hardware are good to go. Warmth comes from the layering of clothes, these tend to be awesome at being waterproof and windproof.

Also, look for clearances and outlets, it will be nicer to your pocketbook.

a.bentonab

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    May 22, 2009
    Evansville
    My only North Face article I bought at a Plato's Closet. Might give it a shot if you are willing to give up selection for saving a lot of money.

tom1025

Master
    Rating - 100%
    27   0   0
    Mar 6, 2009
    Underground
    I would go with North Face Denali if your going to get one. Campmor.com is another good site to check out. Mountain Hardware is another good brand.

sepe

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Jun 15, 2010
    Accra, Ghana
    I'm guessing if you went to the closest college campus and walked into a lounge or cafe area, you could have your pick of about 150 North Face jackets. Free is always good!!!

danielocean03

Come in, Manacle Shark.
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Nov 23, 2008
    Hamilton County
    I've been satisfied with the North Face jackets I've bought, I've got a convertible jacket with a removable liner and I bought one of their "Apex" jackets back in January and I love that thing. Super warm, but thin and light, reasonably water repellant and huge pockets. A bit pricey, but I've been very happy with it.

As others have already mentioned, check out Columbia, Mountain Hardware, Marmot, as well as Patagonia. They're all pretty good to go, Patagonia is lifetime warranty. (repair or replace)

I'm sure there are others eluding me right now, but I would recommend stopping in a local outfitter such as Wildcat Creek in Zionsville and trying some of the different brands on before settling with North Face unless that's what you really want.

dcap20

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Nov 13, 2011
    There are other brands out there that are cheaper and just as good. I feel like north face is slightly over priced

kickbacked

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 12, 2010
    columbia use to be the cool jacket, then in the mid 2000's it became north face. All just a stylish fad if you ask me. Give me a carhartt any day.

Site Supporter

INGO Supporter

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    Michael.
    Top Bottom