• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • warhawk77

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    15   0   0
    Jun 7, 2011
    Fort Wayne
    I have heard you can drill a small well by hand and wondering if anyone has done this here in Indiana? I am talking about a well to get below the water table but not cutting thru rock or anything. Just something to water the garden and emergency water. I know I would have to filter and boil but at least it is water.

Anyone know how to find the water table in a given area?

I am talking about drilling a hole not digging.

Last edited:

indymadcaster

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 16, 2011
    morgan co
    it can be done..... you can drive a well-point in like driving fence posts..with sledge hammer or We made a giant 2-man fence post driver........Or if you can get a supply of water nearby and a gas or electric water pump..... you can wash one in twisting and turning the pipe as the water lostens soil and gravel******or making a bolt together wood drill rig and using a truck or a tractor for weight use a come=along and pull DOWN on pipe as you pump water in the pipe the flowing water washes sand and dirt out of the way OR pay 3k to 5k to have one drilled and you need some idea of how deep the water table is that will let you decide on what kind of pump you will need..........

strahd71

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Dec 2, 2010
    wanatah
    very cool!

here in NWI we have a very high water table which in theory is good.......... except my sump pumps in the basement runs a lot

jake

shibumiseeker

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    52   0   0
    Nov 11, 2009
    near Bedford on a whole lot of land.
    I have driven three sandpoints and am working on a fourth. The deepest one I've driven was 26 feet. All have hit water where I expected. I have also hand-dug a well (my first one actually) and went down 12' with it.

The geology and hydrology of how and where water is is far more complex than I care to try to write and summarize in a post, but the short answer is that a good hydrologist can have a decent idea of how far down you may have to do and what kind of substrate you'll have to go through.

Kaiser

Marksman
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Dec 13, 2011
    lafayette area
    Our ancestors hand dug wells to around 30 feet.

I watched my old german baptist neighbor hand dig a well. Around 15 foot deeps and than lined with feild stone rubble. Took him and his two boys less than a week to complete. I am sure you can find information on line.

jeremy

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    Feb 18, 2008
    Fiddler's Green
    I would look into Rainwater Harvesting as well...
    Be surprised how much Water Mom gives out every year...

I'll help you with a couple of hints here...
    How many square inches is your roof(s)?!
    Indiana averages right around 40 inches of Rain a year.
    1 Gallon of Water is 231 Cubic Inches of Water...

shibumiseeker

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    52   0   0
    Nov 11, 2009
    near Bedford on a whole lot of land.
    I would look into Rainwater Harvesting as well...
    Be surprised how much Water Mom gives out every year...

I'll help you with a couple of hints here...
    How many square inches is your roof(s)?!
    Indiana averages right around 40 inches of Rain a year.
    1 Gallon of Water is 231 Cubic Inches of Water...

Our primary water supply now is rainwater off the roof. Here in Indiana it is the cheapest way to get water off municipal supplies. When I do consulting for people who want to go off-grid it's my primary recommendation because the initial cost is lower and the power requirements are lower and amenable to low voltage pumping systems.

Kaiser

Marksman
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Dec 13, 2011
    lafayette area
    I have always talked about putting together a rain water collection system. i have the clean plastic 55 gal drums, just have never done it. We have a creek and spring on th eproperty and it has not been a priority. Sounds like a good winter project, water can also be used for garden. Thanks for the reminder

warhawk77

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    15   0   0
    Jun 7, 2011
    Fort Wayne
    I am looking at getting 6-7 rain barrels but with winter setting it I think I will wait till spring. The well would be spring also but it would give a lot more water.

Mainly going to use it for watering garden but it will give me a lot of water in a emergency.

jeremy

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    Feb 18, 2008
    Fiddler's Green
    Our ancestors hand dug wells to around 30 feet.

I watched my old german baptist neighbor hand dig a well. Around 15 foot deeps and than lined with feild stone rubble. Took him and his two boys less than a week to complete. I am sure you can find information on line.

Our Ancestors also used to chip rocks for tools as well...

jblomenberg16

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    67   0   0
    Mar 13, 2008
    Southern Indiana
    If you are in a relatively low area and the water table isn't that deep (<20 ft) you can drive a sand point as explained earlier.

At my first home I drove it 20 ft by hand using a fence post driver. I hit water at around 10 ft, and drove another 10 or so to make sure I was in good water and not just quicksand or mud. You could put a small hand pump on top, or even a 1/2 well pump and be good to go.

I installed mine back in 2003 for < $500, including the cost of the well pump that was about 1/2 of that cost.

jeremy

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    Feb 18, 2008
    Fiddler's Green
    I am looking at getting 6-7 rain barrels but with winter setting it I think I will wait till spring. The well would be spring also but it would give a lot more water.

Mainly going to use it for watering garden but it will give me a lot of water in a emergency.

Personally I am not a fan of Hand Dug Wells. They can be damned dangerous. Speaking of that you may want to check with your Property Insurance Provider and if they have issues with it.

A average home with an 1100 square Inch Roof will gather you about 200 Gallons of Water a year here in Indiana annually. Just for your information...

If you are set on having a Well, then I would go with a Spike well and put a Hand Pump on it...

Blackduck21

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Apr 11, 2011
    I came across a hand dug well from the 1800's while deer hunting in Brown County. I was absolutely amazed at the rock walls and longevity of its existence. If properly done, they will obviously last a real long time. The site had other remnants of a home site but the well was the only easily recognize able feature.

Top Bottom