• View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • tallend

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    20   0   0
    May 3, 2011
    When I had my ffl---80s-90s-----dealer cost was 4 for 100.00 for the Raven(25acp)---3 for 100.00, for the Davis Industries
    I had a few returned-most for jamming problems-----sometimes the problem was aluminum cased ammo--changed to brass(most,not all)ran fine

tallend

Dirtebiker

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    49   0   0
    Feb 13, 2011
    Greenwood
    $200 would be VERY high. This class of gun sold for somewhere about $100 when new. Today, most are valued in the $50-$120 range. Actually the one your dad has with the box and owners manual might be a bit more valuable to a collector.

I think they are kinda neat. My Davis P380 is remarkably heavy for such a small pistol but that's due to the massive cast zinc slide. The frame is also cast zinc. Everything is chrome plated.

If he was really looking to sell it, I'll bet someone would pay $125 - $150 for it.

They actually sold for $60 at Dons in Greenwood back in the early eightys.
    He gave them away with one year membership to his range.(which were $100, unlimited range use for a year) those were the days!

BehindBlueI's

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    29   0   0
    Oct 3, 2012
    Trash. As noted, the metal is terrible. Drop it and the slide is likely to pop off the frame, thanks to poor fit and flexible metal. The little safety switch doesn't have very positive retention. The very first person I ever responded to who had accidentally shot himself did so with a Raven in his pocket. He broke the cardinal rule of not putting anything else in the pocket, thinking the safety would prevent it from firing, safety flipped off, bang...right into his thigh.

Great candidate for a gun buyback program.

WILSON

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    24   0   0
    Dec 26, 2008
    Top, left-hand corne
    Something that I learned a long time ago about firearms and collectibles...if you think that it'll hurt his feelings about it's real value, then don't tell him.

This. ;)

To be fair to the design (not the manufacturers), it's a completely sound old-school JMB/Colt design that worked very well for a long time.

The reputation started getting a bad rap when the AZ group locked onto the (expired) patent. When they realized how utterly simple the fixed-barrel, straight blow-back, low parts count pistol was,.. they took it a step further and began making the frames and slides out of pot-metal to save even more money. That kinda soured most people on the little pistols.

I've always thought it'd be an interesting challenge to machine a slide and frame our of 440 ~ 446SS (frame could be cut from 7075A .. but because of the way the barrel is attached I'd be concerned about the thing loosening up pretty fast. I may be wrong).

I don't know what Jennings, Bryco, Davis, et all made the barrels out of, but that's one small thing they didn't skimp on. I've never heard of any of 'em blowing up.
    They've been known to auto-disassemble, spit the slide, go off with the safety engaged, and even crack frame-rails and slides. But I've NEVER seen or heard of a barrel actually rupturing (KB!ing), even in "torture tests" using +P+ ammo.

PS: I also remember them on sale (Davidson's & Badger) at 3 for $100 in the 80's and 90's (less during Christmas).

Last edited:

IndyDave1776

Grandmaster
    Emeritus
    Rating - 100%
    12   0   0
    Jan 12, 2012
    Trash. As noted, the metal is terrible. Drop it and the slide is likely to pop off the frame, thanks to poor fit and flexible metal. The little safety switch doesn't have very positive retention. The very first person I ever responded to who had accidentally shot himself did so with a Raven in his pocket. He broke the cardinal rule of not putting anything else in the pocket, thinking the safety would prevent it from firing, safety flipped off, bang...right into his thigh.

Great candidate for a gun buyback program.

On that note, there is something to be said for a DAO pocket gun like a KelTec if you are going inexpensive (in addition to being .32 as opposed to .25 in a similar sized gun).

IndyDave1776

Grandmaster
    Emeritus
    Rating - 100%
    12   0   0
    Jan 12, 2012
    A one shot wonder

You are being too harsh. The Raven/Jennings/Davis/Bryco examples I have seen in action could be counted on for two, maybe three shots. Of course, if you tested the theory more than a couple of times, you would have a fine collection of cracks to show for your efforts.

jwh20

Master
    Rating - 100%
    28   0   0
    Feb 22, 2013
    Hamilton County Indi
    They actually sold for $60 at Dons in Greenwood back in the early eightys.
    He gave them away with one year membership to his range.(which were $100, unlimited range use for a year) those were the days!

I didn't know that. Good old Don. I never believed that part about not making $$$$. He loved both guns and MONEY!

fallenangel1

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 26, 2013
    haha .. I've enjoyed this thread quite a bit! :) I did mention to my father the sentiment this weapon brought out on here. I think I'm going to just buy it from him myself, I'll tell him I found a guy that "collects" odd guns that no one likes and that since its never been fired it's worth more to him. Obviously because its still in one piece. ;)

24Carat

Master
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Aug 20, 2010
    Newburgh
    I bought two in the 80's for $75.00 .

First time I fired one the slide came off the frame.

Threw it away and sold the second as non-fired for $75.00 .

Been a great fan ever since!

Tombs

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 13, 2011
    Martinsville
    I wouldn't offload it.

I would use it to practice and learn some degree of gun smithing.

They can be made to run amazingly well, but it's a challenge even if you know what you're doing. Either way, like I said, great gun to learn some basic smithing on that will help you later down the road with other guns.

FERLACH

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    10   0   0
    Nov 28, 2010
    Plainfield
    Back in early 1980s a friend owned a gun shop. I worked there part time. We sold at least 200-300 of those little Raven 25 auto. I dont remember anyone ever bring one back as defective. However, I would guess most of them were never shot. A lot of guys bought them for their wives. We sold them for $50.00 as a kind of lost leader. Our cost was 3 for $100.00.

goinggreyfast

Master
    Emeritus
    Rating - 100%
    11   0   0
    Nov 21, 2010
    Morgan County
    Some older fella at church gave one to my wife. It was his wife's gun before she passed on. Didn't have the heart to tell him it was junk, HA! We've put a few rounds through it, but all it does is set in a kitchen cabinet "just in case." Of the few rounds through it we haven't had any problems, but I didn't want to push it.

Top Bottom