• View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • fallenangel1

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 26, 2013
    I went to visit my father today and he was looking at my new Glock19 and went in the other room and brought this out for me to look at. I'm not knowledgeable of old guns at all so I was wondering if any of you knew anything about the make/model/value/rarity?

IMAG1722.jpg

IMAG1723.jpg

IMAG1724.jpg

IMAG1725.jpg

IMAG1726.jpg

IMAG1727.jpg

Mosinguy

Shooter
    Rating - 100%
    16   0   0
    Feb 27, 2011
    North Dakota soon...
    It's a Raven. Maybe worth $25 on a good day. Not very collectible just kinda cool paperweights. They were used mostly as throw away guns. Not very reliable. My dad had one and you'd shoot sparks out of the barrel and the point where the slide and frame meet! I'd buy it if he didn't want it.

rugertoter

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Apr 9, 2011
    N.E. Corner
    Well, you can still get magazines for them on Cheaper Than Dirt. I have seen them. The gun is not an expensive one. I believe the slide is made of a Zinc alloy.

jwh20

Master
    Rating - 100%
    28   0   0
    Feb 22, 2013
    Hamilton County Indi
    This is one of the guns that DEFINE the term "Saturday Night Special".

A relative of mine gave this this Davis Industries P380 which you'll note is very similar:

Davis_P380.JPG

This one is nearly useless as a handgun. I've not been able to average more than about 1.5 shots before it malfunctions in some way.

But they actually are kinda pretty.

fallenangel1

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 26, 2013
    haha .. thanks for all the info guys, I think it may hurt my Dads feelings a bit .. I asked him what he through it was worth and he said he'd let it go for $200 :P He was bragging about it never being shot. Maybe if he'd have shot it at some point he'd have realized it wasn't all that great of a gun! ;)

rep all around!

jwh20

Master
    Rating - 100%
    28   0   0
    Feb 22, 2013
    Hamilton County Indi
    $200 would be VERY high. This class of gun sold for somewhere about $100 when new. Today, most are valued in the $50-$120 range. Actually the one your dad has with the box and owners manual might be a bit more valuable to a collector.

I think they are kinda neat. My Davis P380 is remarkably heavy for such a small pistol but that's due to the massive cast zinc slide. The frame is also cast zinc. Everything is chrome plated.

If he was really looking to sell it, I'll bet someone would pay $125 - $150 for it.

ecross0351

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jun 3, 2012
    I never had a problem with mine put 200 rounds through it with out a malfunction.

Last edited:

HandK

Grandmaster
    Emeritus
    Rating - 100%
    11   0   0
    Mar 14, 2009
    Way Up North!!
    I don't think I ever saw one of those that has been shot! :D But you'll look long and hard for one that hasn't been thrown after it wouldn't shoot!! ;)

Mr Evilwrench

Quantum Mechanic
    Emeritus
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Aug 18, 2011
    Carmel
    Don's Guns used to throw one in free with the purchase of a firearm. It's a .25ACP, weaker even than a .22LR. The only reason they rifled the barrel was it was required by law. Made largely of a zinc alloy commonly known as "pot metal", like what Hot Wheels used to be made of. Quality was hit or miss, mostly miss, and it's basically almost as dangerous to the target as it is to the shooter.

Raven, Bryco, Jennings, Jimenez, a couple of others, are all the same; one company would make them for a while, then disappear before being overwhelmed by liability suits, then the designs would show up again, made by a friend or a relative.

WILSON

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    24   0   0
    Dec 26, 2008
    Top, left-hand corne
    fallenangel1,

As everyone already said, it's a cheap ($70 new) pot-metal pistol in the Davis, Jennings, Bryco, "Jiminez" family.

I'd avoid using it for anything serious at all costs (guess it might be okay at getting a lot of practice clearing jams though ;)).

Dewidmt

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    25   0   0
    Mar 27, 2008
    South of the Muscatatuck
    Guess I'm in the minority here! I bought a Raven waaaay back in the mid 80's. Gun shot fine, ultra reliable, don't ever recall having a jam with it. Reasonably accurate also. Massad Ayoob wrote about it as one of the few .25 Autos he would trust!
    I paid $40 for it new back then and sold it years later to a buddy for $75. The company went out of business when all the small manufacturers in California got sued together in one big group (Jennings, Lorcin, Davis Arms). Some of them came back under different names, but sadly the Raven wasn't one of them.
    I used to use the Winchester 45 gr. Expanding Ball ammo in mine for carry. Only concession I ever made when carrying it was to carry empty chamber as the safety was very tiny and it was not drop safe!

Indy_Guy_77

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    16   0   0
    Apr 30, 2008
    That's the type of gun that you hope & pray for a gun buy-back so you can hopefully get 2-3x it's value.

pellidon

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    May 5, 2009
    Central Indiana
    I have one and my grandfather had one. We collectively never had any issue with them failing to fire or function beyond the occasional limp wrist that these small things are prone to have. I did torture mine by shooting a couple of boxes of ammo without cleaning it and it still chugged along. But from what I recall, they were hit and miss.

They do like to bite the hand with the slide, especially people who have pudgy or chunky hands like mine. I used to carry mine around all the time until I was lucky enough to get a Seecamp 25 when they first came out. Still not the best caliber, but better than nothing.

Top Bottom