• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • pathfinder317

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Feb 1, 2010
    Franklin In
    I bought a handgun new in 2005 , I never fired it.
    About a year later I was needing some money so I sold it to my friend , now it is 4 years later and he is off work due to heart problems , so he calls and ask me if I could buy it back because he needs the money, so just to return the favor I bought it back.

During my initial inspection , I notice it appears to be abused.
    I call and ask him about it , and he said he fired it 200 times , but he carried it every single day.
    The gun is so filthy I believe he fired it 200 times and never cleaned it.

Maybe it's just how my Dad tought me to treat guns , or maybe it is the military in me.

just curious if anyone else has made this mistake ?

oh well it's the weekend , now I have time to clean it.

pudly

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    35   0   0
    Nov 12, 2008
    Undisclosed
    Well, it can definitely be annoying, but you're helping out a friend. I presume he really needed it. Look past the small stuff.

Last edited:

pathfinder317

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Feb 1, 2010
    Franklin In
    when I say "abused" , I mean it , this gun looks like it was one of the test models for the military.
    maybe the phrase "torture tested" comes to mind, but all in all , I got a gun back from a friend who needed the cash to feed his family , and after all it's only a gun.
    I have already been in touch with one of the local supporters about refinishing the slide , since the bluing is wearing off and it looks rough.
    Thankfully it's a Glock.

musclecarr

Shooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Feb 11, 2010
    Owen County
    Selling to a friend who didn't take care of it

I know what you mean. Never been cleaned, rusted, used as a hammer. I absolutely hate it when people abuse fine pieces of equipment like they are disposable. Guns, Trucks, cars etc; But if they would actually take care of these things they might actually be worth more in the long term. Like OLD MUSCLE CARS. people would just drive them 'till the wheels would fall off. never change oil, then dispose of them. Now these old cars are worth a house! (LOOK AT MY AVATAR).

The same goes with guns! An old Winchester someone bought for $35 dollars 50 years ago, could go for $3000, IF THEY WOULD'VE JUST OILED THE DARNED THING ONCE IN A WHILE. This drives me crazy. Take care of certain things and they might be worth something in the future. Which isn't that far away!

I bought a COLT Double Eagle 10mm in 1992 for $457 brand new. Now its
    worth over $1000. Because I took care of it. If it was rusted, never cleaned and used as a hammer, It might bring $450, Only because it is a COLT!

The moral of the story is, Take care of your stuff kids, in just 15 years that gun WILL be worth triple what you paid for it!

Eddie

Master
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Nov 28, 2009
    North of Terre Haute
    Yep. I was taught that cleaning the gun was a part of shooting/hunting. Cleaning is the thing you do before you put the gun away. That way it is ready to use next time you want to go out. Unfortunately, not everybody learns this way. To some folks cleaning is something you try as a fix when the gun fails to fire.

I'll admit that as I have gotten older and my life has gotten busier that I am not as enthusiastic about getting out the dental picks and making everything spotless as I used to be, but I still force myself to do it. Sometimes that means laying the gun on the workbench and telling myself "no new (fun) projects until this gun is clean and put away".

I guess now you get to welcome your gun home with a detailed cleaning and then take it out for a test drive.

rocked

Marksman
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Jan 3, 2009
    Fishers
    when I say "abused" , I mean it , this gun looks like it was one of the test models for the military.
    maybe the phrase "torture tested" comes to mind, but all in all , I got a gun back from a friend who needed the cash to feed his family , and after all it's only a gun.
    I have already been in touch with one of the local supporters about refinishing the slide , since the bluing is wearing off and it looks rough.
    Thankfully it's a Glock.

You have nothing to worry about since it's a Glock! It will live forever.....

sparkyfender

Master
    Rating - 100%
    14   0   0
    Mar 20, 2008
    Southcentral IN
    It's a GLOCK, I doubt if he damaged it much, especially with 200 rounds, so I would give it a good cleaning and going over.

Carry wear is no big matter in my book, but its your gun, so a slide refinish would probably be the cat's ass.

Is the plastic frame beaten up? If not, I bet with a little care, you'll be okay with the pistol and its appearance.

pathfinder317

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Feb 1, 2010
    Franklin In
    The plastic lower isn't scratched or beaten up , only that little plug , and I can replace it for 5 bucks.
    It's just the wear on the slide , and a little rust , and the dirt , this thing looks like it was stored in a box of dirt, and the rear site has a round indentation, it almost looks like it has been dropped , again just another cheap fix.
    Then again if it really bothered me that much I am sure I could post it for sale.

Last edited:
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    May 5, 2008
    10°17'42.48"N 85°5
    If I sold a friend a Glock and he paid me for it, I could care less what he does with it or how he treats it. They could go throw it in the river for all I care. It's his responsibility. Now if he wants to sell it back to me in crappy shape, don't expect to get what you paid for it. After all, it's only a gun. :D:D

WIZZO499

Marksman
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Oct 29, 2009
    Maybe I'm just of the mindset that you sold it, so it shouldn't matter what happens to it.

Now that you bought it back (I'm assuming a bunch less than the price you sold it for) you should accept the fact that it's in the condition it's in.

Sucks he didn't take care of it, but you didn't buy a new pistol, did you?;)

And to the fella that said something about it being collectable, there's nothing collectable about Glocks. There most likely never will be. The Colt Double Eagle is collectable becuase it was a failure that Colt stopped producing. Of course condition is important for something that's rare, but a mass produced modern plastic pistol does not qualify in that category.

pathfinder317

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Feb 1, 2010
    Franklin In
    Maybe I'm just of the mindset that you sold it, so it shouldn't matter what happens to it.

Now that you bought it back (I'm assuming a bunch less than the price you sold it for) you should accept the fact that it's in the condition it's in.

Sucks he didn't take care of it, but you didn't buy a new pistol, did you?;)

And to the fella that said something about it being collectable, there's nothing collectable about Glocks. There most likely never will be. The Colt Double Eagle is collectable becuase it was a failure that Colt stopped producing. Of course condition is important for something that's rare, but a mass produced modern plastic pistol does not qualify in that category.

Of course I got a deal on it when I bought it back , and I realize it is now a used gun , but I like to see guns in "nice" shape , it's just a shame someone treats guns this poorly , especially one he carried on a daily basis for protection.

WIZZO499

Marksman
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Oct 29, 2009
    Of course I got a deal on it when I bought it back , and I realize it is now a used gun , but I like to see guns in "nice" shape , it's just a shame someone treats guns this poorly , especially one he carried on a daily basis for protection.

Yeah, when you have your own ways of how you do things, it's hard to fathom how some people can do stuff differently at times.

Just like those people that carry those Gloc........nevermind:D

mrmarky

Marksman
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Apr 8, 2009
    Brazil Indiana
    He was able to help you when you needed it , now you've helped him. Sounds like God provided an opportunity,,, not a mistake. Everything happens for a reason.

Top Bottom