• View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • indy1919a4

Master
    Rating - 100%
    41   0   0
    Jan 7, 2011
    You do realize that it's very possible the powder in that thing is still live. With black powder, it can be wet and will fire fine when dry -- in fact, it's more powerful afterward, being part of the manufacturing process. The rust will have sealed it from moisture, as well. I'd get it to an expert.

----> I have no doubt that the powder is still good.. (Or at least assuming that)
    Old civil war shells still blow up when aggravated..

Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Dec 27, 2010
    Parke County
    I found a Win. Model 12 and an old Mossberg 22 in the barn one day. They were up in the hayloft. My dad had no idea about them. They were most likely my great grandfathers. Terrible shape... terribly rusted... what a shame for such a nice shotgun..

Bendrx

Expert
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Sep 3, 2009
    East Indy.
    Several years ago I was taking a break at a pretty busy gas station while I was on a MC ride. I was sittin' on a stack of that pre-packaged firewood they sell smokin' a cig and drinkin' a redbull.
    Van pulled in, with a big fat tub of lard driving and before they got stopped he was already screaming at his kids about how "everybody gets 1 regular coke" no candy blah blah blah...Of COURSE this lard a-- was open carrying...Anyway, I enjoy my smoke and 'bull , old tubby comes out, somehow forgets how to open a Winstar's door, drops his mega coke, bends over, dumps his 92F, lets go a string of cuss words at everybody but himself, waddles back into the speedway and re-cokes.
    I DID find it humorous his kids were laughing at him(after he went back inside) "How come HE gets another coke?"...anyway, I fetch the 92 from behind the ford's front tire - old fatty comes out and makes some smarta-- remark to ME! I said buddy, I got nuthin' to say, sorry you're havin' a bad day...he growled some crap at me and drove off...so did I...what kinda DA carries WWB FMJ in his carry piece?
    Still got it, no wait, that's one I lost fishing.

I hope that man is on this forum and reads this and tracks you down. Very very uncool. QFL (Quoted for the Lawyers)

agentcolt

Plinker
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    May 13, 2008
    City with a Heart

I found a Winchester 1897 shotgun that had been left leaning against an oak tree back in the late '70's. The tree had grown around the entire barrel, leaving just a rotted butt stock exposed. I eventually whittled it out but it was so rusted I trashed it. Looking back I wish I had cut the tree down and keep the whole thing in tact. Would of made an interesting display

Colt556

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    65   0   0
    Feb 12, 2009
    Avon
    I found a Winchester 1897 shotgun that had been left leaning against an oak tree back in the late '70's. The tree had grown around the entire barrel, leaving just a rotted butt stock exposed. I eventually whittled it out but it was so rusted I trashed it. Looking back I wish I had cut the tree down and keep the whole thing in tact. Would of made an interesting display

I hope you took pics before you started cutting it out of the tree. That would have been cool to see!

Wheeler78

Marksman
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Oct 20, 2010
    NWI
    when i was a kid in the late 90's my mom bought a jeep from the auto auction. the next day she took it to the shop for an oil change and to check out the auto window motor. when she comes back an hour later she says her name and that she's here for her jeep. the lady's eyes gets really big and she wispers come with me please. the owner takes her in his office and asks where she got her car. turns out the window didn't roll down cause there was over $10,000 in $20's stuffed in the door. she then called the police who tore the car apart and found more money and some guns in there (not sure what kind i was only a kid). turns out the wrong person bought the wrong car lol. they said that she could take the car but she just told them to keep it for evidence. they gave her the cash they found because as far as they could tell it was legit. so she just bought a newer one lol.

YJBrian

Plinker
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Mar 28, 2009
    Outside the Loop
    My Dad and I found a small pistol wrapped in a tee shirt while out digging for junk in an old ravine/dump. The pistol was pretty rusty and from the tees shirt had probably been burried for 15 years. That went to the local police station.

we also found some cool old dental tools (area was behind a long gone dental office from the 20's) and various old medicine and milk bottles.

Colt556

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    65   0   0
    Feb 12, 2009
    Avon
    when i was a kid in the late 90's my mom bought a jeep from the auto auction. the next day she took it to the shop for an oil change and to check out the auto window motor. when she comes back an hour later she says her name and that she's here for her jeep. the lady's eyes gets really big and she wispers come with me please. the owner takes her in his office and asks where she got her car. turns out the window didn't roll down cause there was over $10,000 in $20's stuffed in the door. she then called the police who tore the car apart and found more money and some guns in there (not sure what kind i was only a kid). turns out the wrong person bought the wrong car lol. they said that she could take the car but she just told them to keep it for evidence. they gave her the cash they found because as far as they could tell it was legit. so she just bought a newer one lol.

WTH!!! That seems like it needs it's own thread. I'm sure there will be all sorts of posts for this one. :popcorn:

vzdude

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 98.2%
    54   1   1
    Jan 20, 2011
    Kentland, IN

Nice story, but......

:postpics:

public servant

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    23   0   0
    When my brother and I were kids we used to trap a creek that ran behind our house on the far south side of Indy. We found a couple of old damascus twist barrel shotguns and a couple old lever action rifles stashed in a bag under some grass along the creek bed. Our old man called the po-po. Ended up they had been stolen out of a guy's house on the other side of the creek.

Glad he got them back...they were sweet.

Joeyidgaf

Plinker
    Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    Jan 19, 2011
    Indiana
    I found a gun in my aunts drawer after she died. It was actually under the drawer. Found when we sold her dresser. I still have the snub 38. Fun find

.40caltrucker

Expert
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Nov 5, 2010
    I've found two guns. One was a air bb handgun, my mom called the police because she didn't know it was a bb gun and they still took it.

The other one was an old revolver in the dirt, a lot of it had rusted away so I just threw it back in the dirt. If I ever get a metal detector I might take it out to my moms and try to find it again.

weaverml34

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Nov 14, 2009
    A buddy of mine pulled the access panel on their garden tub to access something. To his suprise there were two High Standard .22 pistols stashed in there. The people that lived in the house prior to them had been relocated. Apparently they forgot about the pistols.

He called me at work freaking out. I settled him down and told him chances were they were just plinking guns and not to worry about it.

G_Stines

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Sep 2, 2010
    Central Indiana
    I found one last fall. It was... Maybe a week after some friends and I were moving into the house we are renting while going to school. I was doing dishes that week and the garbage disposal was all clogged up. I opened up the cabinets under the sink to take a look and there on the side of the cabinet was a magnet strip screwed into the side of the cabinet and stuck on it was a Kimber .45 1911. I tried contacting the previous renters and I have yet to hear back from them. They have until May before I claim it as my own.

dpzj96

Marksman
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Nov 2, 2009
    ECI
    I found one last fall. It was... Maybe a week after some friends and I were moving into the house we are renting while going to school. I was doing dishes that week and the garbage disposal was all clogged up. I opened up the cabinets under the sink to take a look and there on the side of the cabinet was a magnet strip screwed into the side of the cabinet and stuck on it was a Kimber .45 1911. I tried contacting the previous renters and I have yet to hear back from them. They have until May before I claim it as my own.

THAT'S WHERE I LEFT IT! Haha just kidding. Wish I could find a sweet score like that some day.

RealTree

Plinker
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Feb 9, 2011
    Greenwood
    My wife and I were walking through the neighborhood one evening and spotted a black pistol next to the sidewalk...as there were kids nearby I picked it up and checked to see if it was loaded. Turned out to be a pellet gun, asked the neighbors in the general vicinity if it belonged to them. Couldn't find the owner so we had planned to take it home, however our kayak tipped over while crossing the pond and we lost it never to be seen again.

Top Bottom