Anyone ever appeal their property tax assessment and win?

The #1 community for Gun Owners in Indiana

Member Benefits:

• Fewer Ads!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • racegunz

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    May 6, 2015
    Indiana
    Right, except they claimed I did improvements, which I have not done any since way before the last assessment, i assume they were hoping I would not notice.
    That or it was punishment for complaining last year they did try to intimidate me by saying most appeals end up with the owner paying more. Even in this weeks discussion they said they could potentially rezone my agricultural acreage to residential unless i proved i was farming it.

Ingomike

Top Hand
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    May 26, 2018
    North Central
    I think like you property tax is inherently communistic or worse ,however using the actual cost to build or the last selling price protects the home owner from being priced out of his dwelling he paid for for 30 years, they can get their pound of flesh the next time it sells...... just an alternative that seems more fair. If we have to do with less money then they should budget for the same.

Sounds great in practice but then you get people that put it in a trust for the family so it never sells even though “ownership” does. If taxes are too high we need to rein in spending, worrying about assessed values is not the issue…

Ingomike

Top Hand
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    May 26, 2018
    North Central
    Right, except they claimed I did improvements, which I have not done any since way before the last assessment, i assume they were hoping I would not notice.
    That or it was punishment for complaining last year they did try to intimidate me by saying most appeals end up with the owner paying more. Even in this weeks discussion they said they could potentially rezone my agricultural acreage to residential unless i proved i was farming it.
    They do that, it seems common and I have never found a common denominator for why mystery improvements show up. That agricultural eximption does require ag be going on to get it. Just because someone wants to get lower taxes on land does not make them qualified for the ag exemption.

Remember, if a neighbor is claiming an exemption they do not legal qualify for, they are cheating you, if they paid their fair share your tax would be lower…

dudley0

Nobody Important
    Rating - 100%
    99   0   0
    Mar 19, 2010
    Grant County
    I considered making hay on my property. Just under four acres tho and I doubt anyone would want to mess with it. If I buy the adjoining almost six maybe.

Then I could go ag I think. Not doing anything but feeding the bees otherwise, which is why I don't mow it regularly.

Ingomike

Top Hand
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    May 26, 2018
    North Central
    I considered making hay on my property. Just under four acres tho and I doubt anyone would want to mess with it. If I buy the adjoining almost six maybe.

Then I could go ag I think. Not doing anything but feeding the bees otherwise, which is why I don't mow it regularly.
    I believe bee keeping would be ag…

racegunz

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    May 6, 2015
    Indiana
    They do that, it seems common and I have never found a common denominator for why mystery improvements show up. That agricultural eximption does require ag be going on to get it. Just because someone wants to get lower taxes on land does not make them qualified for the ag exemption.

Remember, if a neighbor is claiming an exemption they do not legal qualify for, they are cheating you, if they paid their fair share your tax would be lower…
    Sorry to have assumed you were like minded, you sound like a communist rat. Go rat on your neighbor

racegunz

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    May 6, 2015
    Indiana

Ok so explain your last statement then???? Sounds to me like you drank the kool-aid and the only fair thing is to comply with tyranny? And if we all give in to the Govt' then everything will be great? So if someone gets an exemption in my opinion good for them! I can tell you this your representative will not tell you if you qualify for one, so I applaud those who fight to keep what should be theirs. Once we stick together and quit blaming our neighbors we may have a chance to fix it.

Ingomike

Top Hand
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    May 26, 2018
    North Central

Ok so explain your last statement then???? Sounds to me like you drank the kool-aid and the only fair thing is to comply with tyranny? And if we all give in to the Govt' then everything will be great? So if someone gets an exemption in my opinion good for them! I can tell you this your representative will not tell you if you qualify for one, so I applaud those who fight to keep what should be theirs. Once we stick together and quit blaming our neighbors we may have a chance to fix it.

First I agreed that it is inexplicable how they add improvements that are not there.

I am philisophilacally opposed to property taxes, said so explicitly in an earlier post.

Now to deal with the reality of what we have.

You mentioned the ag exemption, I said you must have ag to get it and keep it, they check to make sure. Just because one wants cheaper taxes doesn’t mean they get or deserve an ag exemption. I then tried to explain that anyone that claims an ag exemption that does not qualify is cheating other taxpayers. Are you good with city folks moving out in rural areas, building a million dollar house on five or ten acres of yard getting an ag exemption? Where do you get it that I suggested anyone rat on neighbors?

BTW, if one is claiming an ag, homested or other exemption they should not have and the county finds it, state law says they can back tax three years plus penalties, so it is a risk also…

Last edited:

dudley0

Nobody Important
    Rating - 100%
    99   0   0
    Mar 19, 2010
    Grant County
    So I appealed three properties.

Got a call from the assessor's office asking if they should snail mail or email the paperwork.

Had it emailed. Looked thru it and couldn't believe the drop they had. Well worth my time. I signed and sent it all back.

Happy I did it and especially with the outcome.

DragonGunner

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Mar 14, 2010
    N. Central IN
    Son and I just got our homes value lowered yesterday....well maybe. I'm in Wabash County which is one of the highest counties taxed in IN. Its also declining in population every single year for the last 40 yrs. Wabash for what ever reason sends complaints on assessments to Ft. Wayne and a person working for them there does a overview and sends that to our assessor who either accepts it...or declines. If they decline then you go through a process of appeals which pretty much means you can forget it. I got mine lowered $19,400. This year they raised my house value to over $145k. In fact they been raising it quit a bit every year to get there. Here is the sad part....I'm told our assessor is being pushed to raise home values to get more tax $$$ becasue the teachers and police want better buildings.....it the schools and police doing the pushing. So what we have is government agencies pushing another government agency to get them more $$$$$$.
    I'm guessing this is going on everywhere all the time....so we see those in government agencies are using their power to get $$$$$ from "The People".......its a BEAST that can't have enough of what you got. Both parties going to take your $$$....why have I even been voting all these years????? Both parties are both big government......they are not for us folks.....they feed off of us.

Shadow01

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 8, 2011
    WCIn
    The simple solution to bad assessment is to require the state to purchase your home at the assessment amount if you put it on the market and do not get an offer at or above the assessment value within 30 days.

dudley0

Nobody Important
    Rating - 100%
    99   0   0
    Mar 19, 2010
    Grant County
    In this market I bet there are not many houses that wouldn't bring above assessed value. Doesn't mean it's right. I hate when the housing market gets crazy like this. Well, until it crashes, then I am happy to swoop in and buy some cheap stuff.

Can't say I am overly happy with my outcome because everything went up, but the ones I appealed went down enough to make the difference.

Personally I would think that public schools should not get too greedy with all the push for vouchers and such.

Although I see one small system here doing a hell of a lot of upgrades that maybe they didn't need. Someone has to push to make the bigger bucks I guess.

Top Bottom