Anyone Else Think Roadside Memorials Are Inappropriate?

The #1 community for Gun Owners in Indiana

Member Benefits:

• Fewer Ads!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Darral27

Shooter
    Rating - 100%
    27   0   0
    Aug 13, 2011
    Elwood
    I do not see why it would bother anybody. Everybody grieve's in their own way. If that makes the family or friends feel better then more power to them. There is one I used to drive by often on hwy 37 between Elwood and Marion, the family did the upkeep on that. Even when the grass was overgrown all around it the immediate area was clean and cut.

Mark 1911

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    12   0   0
    Jun 6, 2012
    Schererville, IN
    They don't bother me. I wouldn't put one up for someone in my family, wouldn't want one either. I only have enough energy to fight so many battles. I have to pick.

TopDog

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    19   0   0
    Nov 23, 2008
    I am with a lot of people. It does bother me a bit when they are huge. But they do serve as a reminder, might not make much of a difference but even a few days of less knucklehead behavior around the site of an accident is a good thing.

92ThoStro

Master
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Dec 1, 2012
    Same here, I wouldn't do it, but they don't bother me.
    I also wonder as well, why they are in a particular place.
    30 mph straight road, did they hit a roving brick wall?

gungirl65

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Nov 11, 2011
    Richmond
    Some of it is cultural. I remember driving in Mexico on a fishing trip. It was a long trip and of course we were in a bit of a hurry to reach the lake, so we drove at night. It was a very poignant reminder of the dangers of driving with just the stars and the moon and your headlights at high speed on a dangerous road when your high beams flashed on dozens of crosses near a bad corner.

When I see crosses here in the U.S., I sometimes wonder why the death occurred at that particular spot. Was it in winter? Was the road icy?

Life is very short for some of us. And it doesn't hurt to remind others that we are not invulnerable.

I've always wondered why too. Especially areas that are straight and appear to have no obvious hazards.

BehindBlueI's

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    29   0   0
    Oct 3, 2012
    I appreciate them in 3rd world countries. It gives you a rough statistical estimate of your chances of surviving the next curve or intersection.

Some countries go all out and actually put the vehicle out as a reminder. I took this picture in Qatar.

Accidentdisplay.jpg

Stateside, I can't say I've ever given them more notice than...litter, really.

j706

Master
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    60   0   1
    Dec 4, 2008
    Lizton
    I appreciate them in 3rd world countries. It gives you a rough statistical estimate of your chances of surviving the next curve or intersection.

Some countries go all out and actually put the vehicle out as a reminder. I took this picture in Qatar.

Accidentdisplay.jpg

Stateside, I can't say I've ever given them more notice than...litter, really.

Heck if they did those car memorials here some people would see it as a source for used car parts.:):

dobeluvr

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    May 12, 2012
    Some of it is cultural. I remember driving in Mexico on a fishing trip. It was a long trip and of course we were in a bit of a hurry to reach the lake, so we drove at night. It was a very poignant reminder of the dangers of driving with just the stars and the moon and your headlights at high speed on a dangerous road when your high beams flashed on dozens of crosses near a bad corner.

When I see crosses here in the U.S., I sometimes wonder why the death occurred at that particular spot. Was it in winter? Was the road icy?

Life is very short for some of us. And it doesn't hurt to remind others that we are not invulnerable.

How about a memorial for an idiot with a BAC of .27. Failed to negotiate a turn on a motorcycle. Died right across the street.

Does a 'reminder' in your yard seem appropriate? Neighbor finally called cops one night. Seems the "mourners" thought it was ok to just show up and throw a party, alcohol and all. NO to roadside memorials.

Waveraider

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Jan 12, 2009
    Indianapolis
    I've been thinking about this for several years and they make me sick. My Daughter had a friend killed in a car accident on Fall Creek Blvd several years ago. His friends helped the family put up a roadside memorial (2X4 cross with white bed sheet). He was cremated and the family scatterd his ashes there. How freaking wierd is that! Funny thing is the cross and memorial has been gone for years and now the poor kid doesn't even have a proper grave marker??? How sad! To me, it seems like roadside memorials are just a cheap way to bury your family members. I hate seeing these and wish they'd go away!

jdmack79

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    12   0   0
    Aug 20, 2009
    Lawrence County
    The roadside memorials drive me crazy! There is one near Terre Haute that is a five or six foot tall cross. The deceased's shirt is on the cross. It has been painted and is highly decorated with paving stones, flowers, and mulch around the memorial. This monstrosity is on someone's private property and they even mow around it. If someone died on my property I would give the family a few weeks to grieve and have a memorial, and then I would tear it down. Families have no right to erect a monument on someones land simply because a death occurred there.

I can't go into a hospital room and paint a mural on the wall near the bed where my family member died. I find the roadside memorial trend to be quite selfish and disrespectful to property owners.

KJQ6945

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Aug 5, 2012
    Texas
    Several years back, a large group of bicyclists acting like they were in the Tour de France, were riding in the area of my house. I almost hit one just down from the house as he ran a stop sign trying to catch up to the large group. I missed him by inches.

20 minutes later when I returned home, police cars, fire trucks every where. He ran the next stop sign as well. I should have hit him when he ran the stop sign in front of me. Instead, he was killed by an 18 year old girl on her way to her high school graduation.

My neighbors ended up with a memorial in their front yard. The girl who missed her graduation because of the idiot, got to drive by it daily. The family of the deceased, I don't believe they were even from around the area.

They're inappropriate!

jgreiner

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Jul 13, 2011
    Lafayette, IN
    Roadside memorials not only pay tribute to the person who died in a crash, but they can also serve as a reminder to other drivers passing that area which may have a dangerous curve - slow down and drive carefully.

Or...can cause lookey-loos to forget about driving and gawk at the memorial....thus causing an accident.

ghuns

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Nov 22, 2011
    Why don't Jewish people die in motor vehicle accidents? Ever see a Star of David roadside memorial? Jess sayin.:dunno:

Several in my area irk me. A couple are large rocks with something carved in them. Big enough rocks, that the next accident at the site will be worse for them being there.

Top Bottom