Anyone else notice Armslist is getting really bad?

The #1 community for Gun Owners in Indiana

Member Benefits:

• Fewer Ads!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Mosinguy

Shooter
    Rating - 100%
    16   0   0
    Feb 27, 2011
    North Dakota soon...
    I had a Rossi on Armslist for one day and had someone demand I meet them on the Southside of Chicago. I flat out said no because I'm not driving three and a half hours north for a $250 handgun or transferring to an out of state resident. He then says he's from Chicago but actually staying in Valparaiso so it's ok. :rolleyes:

Then I get asked by someone else if I'd like to trade for drugs and if so he needs me to meet at Washington and Post right now. That message was sent at 2 am.

Then someone offers me $100 "cash money tonight". I respond that I'd rather have $250 tomorrow instead of $100 tonight. Guy got really mad at that for some reason.

Are my experiences the new normal for Armslist?

Audie Murphy

Master
    Rating - 95.2%
    59   3   0
    Sep 21, 2010
    Warsaw
    Yes,very normal. I used to get the same kind of responses until I started adding that I need to see Indiana state ID or DL along with a Indiana LTCH. This stopped a lot of the bs but still get the low ballers from in state.

wtburnette

WT(aF)
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    45   0   0
    Nov 11, 2013
    SW side of Indy
    I only use the classifieds on INGO and therefore miss out on all that BS. Not sure why anyone would subject themselves to that when there are much better alternatives?

churchmouse

I still care....Really
    Emeritus
    Rating - 100%
    187   0   0
    Dec 7, 2011
    Speedway area
    I had a Rossi on Armslist for one day and had someone demand I meet them on the Southside of Chicago. I flat out said no because I'm not driving three and a half hours north for a $250 handgun or transferring to an out of state resident. He then says he's from Chicago but actually staying in Valparaiso so it's ok. :rolleyes:

Then I get asked by someone else if I'd like to trade for drugs and if so he needs me to meet at Washington and Post right now. That message was sent at 2 am.

Then someone offers me $100 "cash money tonight". I respond that I'd rather have $250 tomorrow instead of $100 tonight. Guy got really mad at that for some reason.

Are my experiences the new normal for Armslist?

Bad people.
    Sting operations.
    Idiots.
    Bad people.

joncon

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    23   0   0
    Mar 30, 2013
    Bartholomew County
    I used to look on it a lot, and have purchased a few firearms and sold a couple off it. Never had any problems. Since they changed the format I don't get on it much as it is harder to navigate now, at least for me.

Joniki

Master
    Trainer Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    12   0   0
    Nov 5, 2013
    NE Indiana
    I used to look on it a lot, and have purchased a few firearms and sold a couple off it. Never had any problems. Since they changed the format I don't get on it much as it is harder to navigate now, at least for me.

^^^^^ The same for me.

Tula47

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    43   0   0
    Jun 28, 2013
    Knox Co.
    You could post a Sherman tank on there and someone would offer you a hipoint and expect an even trade. I have bought and sold many times on their but lately it hasn't been worth the hassle. So many low ballers and tire kickers

rhino

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    24   0   0
    Mar 18, 2008
    Indiana
    Bad people.
    Sting operations.
    Idiots.
    Bad people.

Yep. No upside to a situation as described and plenty of potential downsides.

This makes me think: is there a market for a voluntary vetting process for buyers and sellers who connect via web sites? For instance, a paid service where you submit ID, prints, and a criminal background check is completed, then you go on a list where your info is made available to those with whom you wish to do business. Not foolproof (nothing is), but it could help manage a variety of risks to buyers and sellers.

churchmouse

I still care....Really
    Emeritus
    Rating - 100%
    187   0   0
    Dec 7, 2011
    Speedway area
    I understand that, but along with more eyeballs to look at what you're selling, you have a lot more hassle. To each their own. I'd rather deal with fellow INGO members personally.

This.
    I guess I am just not up to putting idiots in their place anymore as I am not really sure where a suitable place for them actually is or even exists.
    I also will no longer deal with PayPal or ship a gun.
    I also need to see/feel anything I purchase these days as my trust meter and give a **** have been broken for a good while.

1775usmarine

Sleeper
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    85   0   0
    Feb 15, 2013
    IN
    I wish I had gotten those types of responses. I would of had some fun with them. Of course I would have to set up another email strictly for firearm and ammo deals, but hey would still be fun.

BugI02

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jul 4, 2013
    Columbus, OH
    I have bought a few things off armslist. You know the drill - I only deal instate, I profile by what suburb they live in if they list it, contact thru armslist then text or email lots of communication to get a feel for the seller and have back-up for the actual meet.

I only sell on gunbroker and gunsamerica, not just because of the wider audience but because of how far removed I can keep the buyer from me. They need to know very little personal information about me to complete the sale and its worth the fees involved to keep it that way. I haven't used the INGO classifieds yet because I'm out of state to most of the membership, with the complications that entails. If someone wants to see an LTCH, will a CCW be an acceptable substitute - who knows

STEEL CORE

Master
    Rating - 100%
    93   0   0
    Oct 29, 2008
    Fishers
    I too have had fair luck on Armslist, and both deals this year were great. I just click on the firearm make I want, click off the vendors, and peruse in state only. I do not always get a reply to an inquiry and wish they had a sold box for those posted so you wouldn't waste time, but I do look every morning.

PS I have a fellow Officer who is looking for a snubbie, and I passed the ad on to her.

Last edited:

junk

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Feb 25, 2016
    state of confusion
    what I hate most on Armslist is the guy who WTB something . Once you message him , he wants all the info of course , then it's "well i'll keep you in mind" just a jack wagon looking to lowball someone .

russc2542

Master
    Rating - 100%
    25   0   0
    Oct 24, 2015
    Columbus
    Armslist, Craigslist...any free site to post ads.

+1 for putting in the ad about wanting to see LTCH+ID, meeting within x distance of y location, delivery is available but extra, don't call at 3am, and other such info.

Site Supporter

INGO Supporter

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    dcb500
    Top Bottom