Anyone else enjoy the Alaska based shows?

The #1 community for Gun Owners in Indiana

Member Benefits:

• Fewer Ads!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Gluemanz28

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    29   0   0
    Mar 4, 2013
    Elkhart County
    I watched thft show incr for about 5 mnutes. The leo were busting some guys chops for being so irresponsible as to carry a loaded gun. Actually, I think they were loaded mags. They read him the riot act for putting the public at such a safety risk.

I didn't care to see that ever again.

I think that I saw the one you might be referring to. The guy was a convicted felon that was driving erratic which is what got him pulled over. The Alaska LEO ran his info and somehow the guy was able to posses guns. :dunno:
    The guy had an AK pistol with one in the chamber and the LEO told him there was one chambered and the guy said he was positive it wasn't. The camera showed that it was loaded with one chambered. I didn't feel very compassionate for the guy as he wasn't aware of how his weapon was loaded or lied. I CC with one in the pipe and have no problem defending it if asked by LEO.

Edit: I just read IndyJohn's post sorry for the Dupe.

sepe

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Jun 15, 2010
    Accra, Ghana
    I'm 100% with the Docs. I'm addicted. Life Below 0, ATLF, Bering Sea Gold, Gold Rush, Deadliest Catch, Mountain Men, Yukon Men, but not troopers. My DVR gets loaded.

The Thanksgiving episode was awesome. They don't waste anything. They actually slaughtered a duck, found an egg inside and had a chicken incubate it to a hatchling, then stuck it in with a duck mom who just hatched some of her own to raise.

The families are exceptional. They can handle everything that gets thrown their way.

I'd like to think I could do that but I know I probably couldn't. One episode, Atz Lee was making his wife, Eve a new outhouse. Neither of them has ever had anything but an outhouse their entire lives. Eve said that she never would want an indoor bathroom and thought that crapping in your house was gross.

I saw the outhouse episode. Seems like Eve would be pretty easy to get along with as long as you're doing your part. I remember she said something about she'd just use the woods for a couple weeks if she needed to as she has done it before. I think Jane is really the only one pushing her limits of her comfort zone. She complains a bit more about stuff but she still goes out and does what she can. Otto and his wife seem cool and ready to handle anything. The singer Jewel is from that family. Atz is her dad. I remember when she first made it big, she would talk about her family in interviews.

Oresti

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 25, 2012
    I enjoy "Buying Alaska". It's fun to watch it a dream about moving to Alaska! The episode with Jason Elam (ex-kick from the Broncos) and his wife looking for a house to buy is my favorite episode.

sepe

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Jun 15, 2010
    Accra, Ghana
    I enjoy "Buying Alaska". It's fun to watch it a dream about moving to Alaska! The episode with Jason Elam (ex-kick from the Broncos) and his wife looking for a house to buy is my favorite episode.

Elam seemed like a pretty decent guy (not just from the show). There is a lot of amazing scenery up there. I've watched that show quite a bit.

wagyu52

Master
    Rating - 100%
    31   0   0
    Sep 4, 2011
    South of cob corner
    I raise cattle the same as Otto and I can tell you that is the real deal. When he talked about putting down the old cow that his dad owned I cried like a little kid. My old grandma cow was 22 when she died 3 years ago, she gave us 18 calves and we figured she had earned the right to die on the farm. She was blind as a bat and I would lead her from the barn to a small pasture every morning and back agin at night. I went to get her one evening and she had past away, buried her on the spot the next day. The whole family mourned, she was part of our family same as a beloved pet.
    He was spot on to put her down, the harshness of that environment is unbelievable. He did what was right for him and the cow, I couldn't have done that, but I don't raise cattle in Alaska either. Alaska the last frontier is the most realistic reality show I have seen.

copo

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Jan 20, 2013
    nwi
    I like Alaska State Troopers! I look for a guy I worked with that joined them, He seems to like it and has been on the show a few times.

stephen87

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    22   0   0
    May 26, 2010
    The Seven Seas
    Telling people (that are so remote that they have to fly in) that they can't have booze? SCREW THEM!!!
    They're just like dry counties. All of those places that restrict that are tribes and their beliefs dictate that. I've seen an episode where they restricted cigarettes as well.

AST is my favorite, I haven't seen the others.

mohrpork

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Dec 3, 2010
    My favorite is also Alaska: the last frontier. Sometimes I wonder if I could survive with that kind of life style. I sure would like to try it.

Last edited:

remauto1187

Shooter
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Aug 25, 2012
    Stepping Stone
    I saw that episode. Convicted felon with approval to have firearms (how? I don't know. It's Alaska dude). He had an AK with one in the chamber. Cops were fussin' (I would too).
    Its not just Alaska. A felon under certain types of circumstances and depending on the type of felony can have their right to bear arms restored in ANY state.

People seem to think that all of Alaska is North Pole type weather. That is not the case. Anchorage is much like ours here in the midwest as far as temperature during the winter. It actually is more typical to be colder here than in Anchorage. But you go 2 hrs north and you are looking at -20 commonly. Even farther north to gnome and its frigid kinda cold that will kill people that arent prepared for it. The daylight/darkness periods and length of times are a totally different story.

SmileDocHill

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    61   0   0
    Mar 26, 2009
    Westfield
    Alaska needs to host an Appleseed! I've seen too many recent episodes where Atz is simply missing what appears to be easy to routine shots. If I worked on eyes rather than teeth I'd contact Discover channel to try and weasel myself into a show for a combo. eye exam and marksmanship class. Not that I'd likely have anything to teach them but the exec.'s at Discover don't know that. lol

9mmfan

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Apr 26, 2011
    Mishawaka
    I really like watching Flying Wild Alaska when it was on. Those pilots are just plain nuts! I also watch AST and Life Below Zero. Interesting to see people living like a large chunk of this country did just 80 or so years ago.

freekforge

Master
    Rating - 100%
    13   0   0
    Jul 20, 2012
    marion
    I like alaska the last frontier and AST. I love how they respond to calls that down here would be swat teams and MRAPs and up there the trooper just walks up and knocks on the door and takes care of business.

hornadylnl

Shooter
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Nov 19, 2008
    Alaska needs to host an Appleseed! I've seen too many recent episodes where Atz is simply missing what appears to be easy to routine shots. If I worked on eyes rather than teeth I'd contact Discover channel to try and weasel myself into a show for a combo. eye exam and marksmanship class. Not that I'd likely have anything to teach them but the exec.'s at Discover don't know that. lol

It's a possibility that the missed shots are a little manufactured drama for the show. Even if that's the case, Duck Dynasty is pure soap opera compared to Alaska, the Last Frontier.

churchmouse

I still care....Really
    Emeritus
    Rating - 100%
    187   0   0
    Dec 7, 2011
    Speedway area
    It's a possibility that the missed shots are a little manufactured drama for the show. Even if that's the case, Duck Dynasty is pure soap opera compared to Alaska, the Last Frontier.

We actually watched (1st time I swear) a few Duck Dynasty episodes yesterday evening as nothing else was on but Christmas specials and we are way past that even on Christmas evening. There were some laughs even though you know it is all canned and planned. I will not be a regular but it was humorous enough.

indygunguy

Expert
    Emeritus
    Rating - 100%
    110   0   0
    Dec 12, 2010
    NE Side of Indy
    My Wife and I watch that show all the time and dream of buying a place up there someday. After watching those shows she is pretty sure she wants indoor plumbing!

Top Bottom