• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • pinhead56

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 24, 2008
    Indianapolis
    There is a great trail to try right here in Indiana called the Knobstone Trail (KT). It runs from Delaney Park near Salem, IN to Deam Lake about 5 mi from the Ohio River. The entire thing is about 45 miles and is in the Hoosier National Forest and it's pretty remote for most of the way. It's also good training right here for the AT because its up and down a fair bit. There are actually 3 trails connected that run from just south of Martinsville to Deam Lake. The northern chunk is the Tecumseh Trail, starts in Morgan-Monroe State Forest and connects to the Pioneer Trail. This one in the middle has some sections along state highways until all the land can be pruchased to get it back in the woods. The Pioneer connects with the Knobstone at Delaney Park. For info check out the Hoosier Hiking Council

samskxtreme

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Feb 3, 2010
    Fort Wayne
    I have lived in phoenix, Az multiple times. If you like backpacking you cant go wrong with that area. I would personally head a bit north and go to a place called Camp Verde which is near sedona. You can go on hikes, horseback riding all day along dried rivers and it is a blast! The grand canyon is great too if you get yourself away from the tourist areas!

abomb86

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 4, 2010
    I have been really interested in backpacking for years and just didn't get into it...have to check these places out!

woodsie57

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    11   0   0
    Jan 31, 2010
    Morgan Co.
    Have to agree with Mikebear- Knobstone is a good trail, esp. if you want to get some experience, see if it's something you enjoy. Isle Royale N.P. in lake Superior is awesome, if you catch good weather

DanO

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    16   0   0
    Apr 27, 2009
    NW IN
    I have been backpacking for 32 years. I took my 16 year old daughter on her first hard core trip in Yellowstone this summer - 26 miles up the Lamar and Miller trails to the hoodoos. A lot of good advice here, but I will say one thing: You can spend a lot of money and find you like the idea of backpacking more than the reality. With frost on the INSIDE of your tent, mosquitoes, flies, bears, blisters, unmarked trails and sleeping on the ground, it is not always ideal. If you can, borrow some sleeping bags and pads and sleep outside in this weather. See if you were comfortable or not. IF you want to proceed, get good boots and break them in carrying a pack. You can rent equipment for your first trip or two until you know you will stick with it, then buy the best you can afford.

I started out @ 16 years old with 50 Lb packs and lots of equipment. As ultralight backpacking came into popularity, I gradually took off weight until I had the minimum. It makes for a much more fun trip to end the day fresher and without aches, and you will take the little side trips off the trail to see more with a light pack. Al Jardine is the expert on light packing and has several books. My pack for 6days in Backcountry Yellowstone was 36pounds total to start and 29 at the end of the trip. My daughter started with 30 and ended with 24.

Jack Ryan

Shooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Nov 2, 2008
    I met a guy walking on the road today coming out of HNF. "Where exactly IS here?"

Just the comments from one guy beside the road to another so take it with all the salt you want or don't want but said he started walking at the NORTH end of HNF 3-4 days ago. From the looks of him I'd say it's not impossible but his cloths didn't look much like they had been through 3 days in the forrest.

You know it's a confluence of higher forces when three grown men meet on a dead end dirt road, all of their own accord, none know each other, each are only intent on travelling and not being in the same spot for more than a few moments, I look at the other two and being 55 years old riding a bicycle and looking for old cementaries I feel like the normal one of the three.

6birds

Shooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jul 15, 2008
    Fishers
    For anyone who has hiked the AT, what is your favorite section?

PA sucks!! Lots of sharp rocks and poor trail markers.

The presidential range is fantastic if you don't mind the elevation and cold weather in the summer, I have run a few ultras in that area, and is always a favorite. Very well marked, and the shelters are nice. Busy on the weekends in the summer.

Best section ever is the 100 mile wilderness, no roads, all the way to Katadhin!

I still have all the maps if you want to review over a beverage sometime.

r3126

Sharpshooter
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    19   0   0
    Dec 3, 2008
    Indy westside
    Lots and lots of great recommendations on equipment,places to go and how to get into hiking/camping/exploring, have been listed. If you are new to hiking/camping/exploring, GET A GOOD QUALITY GPS, learn to use it and then use it.

100 yards off a well beaten, well marked trail and you might as well be a hundred miles from nowhere. (and moss doesn't always grow in the north side of trees).

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jun 15, 2009
    Valparaiso
    My wife and I have backpacked in NM, Grand Canyon, Grand Tetons...but by far the best backpacking is the Wind River Range in WY. There are not many marked trails, so while having a good GPS is always good, always have a compass and map. Cabelas has some really fine gear and backpacks. We use a North Face 3 person, backpacking tent that weighs just 6 lbs and it has been through some snow storms with 60 mph winds...never missed a beat.

jeremy

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    Feb 18, 2008
    Fiddler's Green
    Lots and lots of great recommendations on equipment,places to go and how to get into hiking/camping/exploring, have been listed. If you are new to hiking/camping/exploring, GET A GOOD QUALITY GPS, learn to use it and then use it.

100 yards off a well beaten, well marked trail and you might as well be a hundred miles from nowhere. (and moss doesn't always grow in the north side of trees).

This!!!

However always take a Map and Compass with you. GPS does not always work... ;)

czad75

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Oct 13, 2009
    SBI
    Hiking

Have you hiked any sections in Tennessee or the Highlands?

PA sucks!! Lots of sharp rocks and poor trail markers.

The presidential range is fantastic if you don't mind the elevation and cold weather in the summer, I have run a few ultras in that area, and is always a favorite. Very well marked, and the shelters are nice. Busy on the weekends in the summer.

Best section ever is the 100 mile wilderness, no roads, all the way to Katadhin!

I still have all the maps if you want to review over a beverage sometime.

6birds

Shooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jul 15, 2008
    Fishers
    Have you hiked any sections in Tennessee or the Highlands?

No, all my AT hikes were to the North. Many great reviews of the area, but the quality of the trail seems very dependant of the locals who take care of it, markers, shelters, access and parking, etc.

I've hunted the area (Highlands and Cherokee Natl. Forest) for deer and turkey, but never hit any AT sections in that area.

What sections of the AT have you done?

Any PC hikers here? WA and OR so far, planning to get back and tackle some desert sections in 2011 and

6birds

Shooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jul 15, 2008
    Fishers
    Hiked just South of Death Valley. A lot...

Read up and practice your skills if you are going to attempt a Desert hike.

We've done quite a few camping trips in the high desert, (elk, pronghorn, blue grouse), but never the low valley stuff. I'm looking forward to thru-hiking a few areas that cannot be seen during a single day hike.

I'm going with a few ultra-runners I met last year doing a 50 miler. They do more desert activities, I do more mountain and cold, so we're trying to get together more often to cross train in each others environment. Two of them (New Mexico indians) are going with me to Colorado for elk this fall, to crash course cold weather training.

Top Bottom