• Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • K_W

Grandmaster
    Aug 14, 2008
    Indy / Carmel
    I got this crazy idea that I want a gun on my wall, a gun that I built myself, and I want it to be a muzzleloader...

Traditions kits seem to be in my price range. I read that the old 60's and 70's kits were junk... has anyone built one recently?

vedearduff

Marksman
    Aug 15, 2011
    Central Indiana
    Do you want a full stock or would you prefer a half stock? Flintlock or caplock?

What is your budget? Will you be shooting this rifle much or will it just be a wall hanger?

The newer Traditions offerings are better than they were back in the '70s. But there may be better options, depending on the answers to the above questions.

red_zr24x4

UA#190
    Mar 14, 2009
    Walkerton
    Not a Traditions, but in the late 80's early 90's I built 2 CVA kits. A .50 cal half stock and a combo.32/.45 cal. half stock both caplock. both shot pretty good, I really miss the .50. I traded both off for other guns.
    I've been thinking of building another one. This one mostly to hang over the fireplace.

gunrunner0

Sharpshooter
    Dec 5, 2009
    Goshen
    I just built a traditions pistol kit over the winter. There was a fair amount of fitting on the stock and a little metal work on the sights and trigger gaurd. I was happy with my end product for the most part. The stock finish wasn't as much as I had hoped for, but that was my own fault for hurrying the project. That's the biggest thing to remember, in that you have to take your time when fitting and finishing the kit. If you do, I think you can produce a very nice gun. Also, be fowarned that if you get a barrel in the "white" or unfinnished, and decide to blue it yourself with a birchwood casey kit, do not expect a factory looking blue. I did take my time on that part, following the directions precisely, but I still didn't think it came out as good as advertised and ended up redoing the barrel which resulted in no real change in finish between the the first and second tries. In the end my barrel looks used and old which at first I didnt like, but I must admit its grown on me.

Good Luck, take your time and be patient and you'll have a nice gun.

Cerberus

Master
    Sep 27, 2011
    Floyd County
    I would say it all depends upon you wood/metal working skills. If you are good at both or either, in the long run you would be happier with something a little higher in quality than the imports. PM me if you want details.

IndyGunworks

Grandmaster
    Feb 22, 2009
    Carthage IN
    There is a company here in indiana that i dont remember the name of that sell some REALLY REALLY nice stuff.

Maybe someone can post a link to their site?

parson

Sharpshooter
    Nov 1, 2008
    New Castle
    I have a .45 Kentucky long rifle and a .50 Mountain carbine that I built from CVA kits from the 70's and 80's. They both shoot round balls very accurately and both have taken deer.

I've never shot heavy charges in them and they still are great rifles, even though they are pretty much "wall-hangers" nowadays.

They were fun projects. I'd say go for it.

Top Bottom