Anyone bought a gun at Rural King in martinsville?

The #1 community for Gun Owners in Indiana

Member Benefits:

• Fewer Ads!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • KJQ6945

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Aug 5, 2012
    Texas
    I stopped in Rural King last Friday, and was checking out the gun section. A gentleman was purchasing a pistol while I was looking around. I, along with everyone else at the counter, heard the clerk explain to the customer that he had to buy a gun case and a padlock because the store was in a school zone. He wasn't going to let him leave unless had a lockable case.

I continued on with my shopping. What do you think about this INGO?

BTW, they did have a nice selection of guns and ammo.

Kirk Freeman

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    11   0   0
    Mar 9, 2008
    Lafayette, Indiana
    This is called "blending".

People take different statutes and create an entirely different law because of misunderstanding.

I'll detail it once I get off this stupid tablet computer.

Chewie

Old, Tired, Grumpy, Skeptical
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Dec 28, 2012
    Martinsville
    Actually there is a school behind the strip mall (west of the Kroger). Have a feeling this was done to get a license to sell at that location.

possum_128

Master
    Rating - 100%
    13   0   0
    Mar 21, 2008
    Martinsville area
    School is located within 1000 feet of Rural King, so whatever the law states. By the way the man at the counter is just following what the store tells him is the law and their policy, no need to call the clerk names.

kawtech87

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    45   0   0
    Nov 17, 2011
    Martinsville
    School is located within 1000 feet of Rural King, so whatever the law states. By the way the man at the counter is just following what the store tells him is the law and their policy, no need to call the clerk names.

Agreed. Poston Rd. elementary is just around the corner.

Besides dont most (read all) handguns now come with a pad lock and a case that can be locked by said pad lock? If it were me buying the gun I would have just taken the lock out of the box and (Making sure to have the keys in my pocket) locked the pistol with the lock it came with. Sounds like it was more the fault of the man making the purchase than the clerk who is just doing as he is told.

Im glad Rual King is selling guns personally and I will not be avoiding the store even if they may be ignorant to some firearms laws. I mean we were all new at this once.

Jerchap2

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Apr 3, 2013
    Central Indiana

Agreed. I was there recently and saw the clerk telling a guy that if he bought a Ruger handgun, the clerk could drill a hole in the case and have the customer buy a $1.99 padlock to satisfy the requirements. The clerk was apologetic, trying to help the customer spend as little as possible to satisfy the store requirements. It is the laws that suck, NOT Rural King or the clerk. Give 'em a break. Just glad they are selling firearms at reasonable prices and have employees that are doing the best they can given the silly laws.

.452browning

Master
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    I am 1 of the 3 employees that works at the martinsville rural king in the firearm dept. I came in 4 weeks after initial sales started. I worked previously at a gun store in Indianapolis that wasn't inside a school zone and didn't have this problem. When I began working at rural king I was informed that the ATF agent that worked with the company said that all firearms must leave in a locked case due to Title 18 USC 922q.

I have written the ATF head office for clarification of the law. If they say otherwise to our policy I will have written proof and address management and corporate office.

I don't agree with the law (if it is true) / store policy, but until I can prove otherwise i have to follow it. Right now we do everything possible to help customers out of the building without buying other stuff they don't want.

goldtrigger

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Apr 13, 2013
    Morgan county
    I am 1 of the 3 employees that works at the martinsville rural king in the firearm dept. I came in 4 weeks after initial sales started. I worked previously at a gun store in Indianapolis that wasn't inside a school zone and didn't have this problem. When I began working at rural king I was informed that the ATF agent that worked with the company said that all firearms must leave in a locked case due to Title 18 USC 922q.

I have written the ATF head office for clarification of the law. If they say otherwise to our policy I will have written proof and address management and corporate office.

I don't agree with the law (if it is true) / store policy, but until I can prove otherwise i have to follow it. Right now we do everything possible to help customers out of the building without buying other stuff they don't want.

Browning,
    Thanks for the clarification!

I am glad that Rural King is now selling guns here in Martinsville. I'm overjoyed that you are now getting ammo in!

KJQ6945

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Aug 5, 2012
    Texas

This was my first trip in since they started selling guns. I was glad to see the selection of guns and especially the ammo.

I didn't start this thread to slam Rural King for their policy. I was curious as to whether I misunderstood what I heard. I guess if that is their policy we just need to come prepared with our own case and a padlock.

Any idea if or when the new Bloomington store will start selling guns?

kawtech87

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    45   0   0
    Nov 17, 2011
    Martinsville
    There is a school closer to my house than rural king is to poston rd. should I turn in my guns?

:dunno: Are you a licenced retail business with an FFL?

If not then I would assume you are good to go. .452Browning has already stated he works there and is in the process of clearifing the law/store policy. As he stated it is what he must do until he proves otherwise.

I will be at Rual King this weekend most likely. :rockwoot:

civilshoot582

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Dec 23, 2012
    Morgan County
    Even though that is an inconvenience, I'm still glad that Martinsville has another place that sells guns and ammo. The fact that they have a good selection and seem to have a steady supply of ammo is an added bonus. Hopefully this rule can be changed in the near future.

.452browning

Master
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    This was my first trip in since they started selling guns. I was glad to see the selection of guns and especially the ammo.

I didn't start this thread to slam Rural King for their policy. I was curious as to whether I misunderstood what I heard. I guess if that is their policy we just need to come prepared with our own case and a padlock.

Any idea if or when the new Bloomington store will start selling guns?

I don't take offense to the thread or your posts. I don't agree with the law since customers can come in carrying a firearm but the one they purchase must leave locked up.

After reading the law over and over I have a feeling the law may apply to customers who purchase handguns without a state issued valid carry license. I sent a letter to the ATF headquarters on Tuesday so I am patiently awaiting a response. I could call the Indianapolis field office but I want a hard copy written response so I can show management / corporate / customers.

I have no idea when the Bloomington store will be selling firearms. The latest store to sell was Columbus. If I hear anything ill repost in this thread.

Jerchap2

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Apr 3, 2013
    Central Indiana

Thanks for checking into this. Appreciate your diligence, research, and honesty. It is the law that sucks, NOT Rural King or its employees.

Top Bottom